Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

R.I.P. Philip Jose Farmer (1918-2009)

[ Edited ]

Just found out some sad news today – one of SF's true legends, Philip Jose Farmer, died last night. He was 91. This is the message that was on PJF's website page this morning:

February 25th:

Philip Jose Farmer passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning.

He will be missed greatly by his wife Bette, his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, friends and countless fans around the world.

January 26, 1918 - February 25, 2009. R.I.P.

PJF wrote close to 100 fantasy and SF novels and literally hundreds of short stories – and many of those were Hugo Award winners: here's his list of awards and nominations (from wikipedia):

Many of you guys weren't around in the 60s and 70s but that's when PJF was at the pinnacle of his productivity and popularity – he truly was a giant in the genre. Rest in peace, Philip Jose.  Rest in peace...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 02-25-2009 03:30 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: R.I.P. Philip Jose Farmer (1918-2009)

Paul,

That is sad news because I have read some of his books and really enjoyed them.  Maybe they will rerelease them again and a new generation can read some real classics.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: R.I.P. Philip Jose Farmer (1918-2009)

paulgoatallen wrote:

Just found out some sad news today – one of SF's true legends, Philip Jose Farmer, died last night. He was 91. This is the message that was on PJF's website page this morning:

February 25th:

Philip Jose Farmer passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning.

He will be missed greatly by his wife Bette, his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, friends and countless fans around the world.

January 26, 1918 - February 25, 2009. R.I.P.

PJF wrote close to 100 fantasy and SF novels and literally hundreds of short stories – and many of those were Hugo Award winners: here's his list of awards and nominations (from wikipedia):

Many of you guys weren't around in the 60s and 70s but that's when PJF was at the pinnacle of his productivity and popularity – he truly was a giant in the genre. Rest in peace, Philip Jose.  Rest in peace...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 02-25-2009 03:30 PM

He was always one of those just under the radar writers. Very good stuff, a bit more give me you believing Early books. If you gave up any disbelief from by page 2, it would be a great book, if you couldn't you'd never get past page 40. 

He will be missed.