paulgoatallen

R.I.P. Philip Jose Farmer (1918-2009)

[ Edited ]

Just found out some sad news today – one of SF's true legends, Philip Jose Farmer, died last night. He was 91. This is the message that was on PJF's website page this morning:

February 25th:

Philip Jose Farmer passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning.

He will be missed greatly by his wife Bette, his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, friends and countless fans around the world.

January 26, 1918 - February 25, 2009. R.I.P.

PJF wrote close to 100 fantasy and SF novels and literally hundreds of short stories – and many of those were Hugo Award winners: here's his list of awards and nominations (from wikipedia):

Many of you guys weren't around in the 60s and 70s but that's when PJF was at the pinnacle of his productivity and popularity – he truly was a giant in the genre. Rest in peace, Philip Jose.  Rest in peace...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 02-25-2009 03:30 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: R.I.P. Philip Jose Farmer (1918-2009)

Paul,

That is sad news because I have read some of his books and really enjoyed them.  Maybe they will rerelease them again and a new generation can read some real classics.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: R.I.P. Philip Jose Farmer (1918-2009)

paulgoatallen wrote:

Just found out some sad news today – one of SF's true legends, Philip Jose Farmer, died last night. He was 91. This is the message that was on PJF's website page this morning:

February 25th:

Philip Jose Farmer passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning.

He will be missed greatly by his wife Bette, his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, friends and countless fans around the world.

January 26, 1918 - February 25, 2009. R.I.P.

PJF wrote close to 100 fantasy and SF novels and literally hundreds of short stories – and many of those were Hugo Award winners: here's his list of awards and nominations (from wikipedia):

Many of you guys weren't around in the 60s and 70s but that's when PJF was at the pinnacle of his productivity and popularity – he truly was a giant in the genre. Rest in peace, Philip Jose.  Rest in peace...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 02-25-2009 03:30 PM

He was always one of those just under the radar writers. Very good stuff, a bit more give me you believing Early books. If you gave up any disbelief from by page 2, it would be a great book, if you couldn't you'd never get past page 40. 

He will be missed.