Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
regilis
0 Kudos

Re: raymond e. feist

my reveiw on the book

The Mind Gripping first novel by Raymond E. Feist

The book “Magician” was wrote in the late 1980’s by Raymond E. Feist, but in 1991 the book was split into two parts “Magician: Apprentice” And “Magician: Master”. These two books came to be some of the greatest fantasy books ever wrote and could be compared to the works by classics like J.R.R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis. This story is of a boy who starts off as just a simple orphan who then grows to be highly respected, and the savior of the Rift war. The reason I picked this book is because it is the story of someone who started off with nothing then ends with everything and I liked the idea of that.

“Magician” starts off with a kid named Pug who works at the kitchen of Crydee castle picking up crabs. He decides to lie down and sleep on the beach but when he wakes it is hours later and high tide is coming along with a hug storm so he has to get off the beach. When he gets of the beach he runs up the road so he gets to the castle before dark but is attacked by a boar. He is saved by a mysterious hunter who takes him to a small cabin. In the small cabin he meets kalgen a master magician, and talks to him about magic. Later that week during Pugs manhood ceremony Kalgen picks him as his apprentice. Pug studies with Kalgen for many weeks but seems to have something blocking his powers. One day he is asked to ride horses with the princess who he likes very much and they get into some trouble and he saves her with magic. For his deed he is made a squire. After that day of riding horses the princess and he became very close friends. One day while Pug and his best friend Thomas where messing around a ship washes up on shore from another world. This event would change Pugs life for ever because it would spark the events that would lead to a big change in his world and a big change in himself and his friends. This big event was the start of the war between his world and another world called the rift war which would last for 10 years.

The man that wrote “Magician” is Raymond E. Feist who was born in 1942 and was an orphan, but is now an international bestselling author who has written of twenty books. The best known books he has wrote are the books in his “Rift War Sage” which was started with “Magician” He graduated from the University of California, and still lives in California with his family where he writes his books and watches football.

The reason I liked his book so much is they gave me a sense of being able to do anything I want even when I am told I can’t. I also liked is how descriptive his sentences are like “Pug danced along the edge of the rocks, his feet finding scant purchase as he made his way among the tide pools.” What I didn’t like about the book is how the chapters were like 20 some pages each so it seemed like you would never finish. Overall this book was very good.

After Reading this book I am still mystified how great of a book it was, and I am sure I well read it again many times in years to come. I also hope that others who like fantasy books will read “Magician” and the other books in the “Rift War Saga” because they tell of a magical tale that should never be forgotten.

"The happiest man on Earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Welcome back, regilis!  Where have you been? 

I have not read The Magician, but your book report sure makes it sound interesting. 

Have you checked out the Fantasy and Science Fiction book club here at B&N?  I think you might find that that is a better place to post your report and to find others who have read this book you are so fond of.   As you know, this book club is really just for the Harry Potter books.

Connie, our moderator, might actually move your post there in the future, so look for it!

Another place where you could post your report is the Teen Reads book club.  That's also a great place to find other young people like yourself. 

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Psychee- perhaps not the Teen Reads bored. People there post little other than common chat rooms and boy troubles, hardly any discussing of books ever takes place unless it is over the "hotness" of Edward Cullen. There would be little point in posting it there, though it might end up being one of the odd threads which DOES get more than just a few comments.

Regilis is best off posting it in the sci-fi/fanstasy thread. 

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Thaks for the correction, agnijay.  I've never been over there.  Are there young people on the Fantasy board?  Regilis has told us before that he has a spelling disability, and it would be great to get him together with people who don't care how he spells things.  He has a lot of interesting ideas to share.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Welcome back, regilis!  Where have you been? 

I have not read The Magician, but your book report sure makes it sound interesting. 

Have you checked out the Fantasy and Science Fiction book club here at B&N?  I think you might find that that is a better place to post your report and to find others who have read this book you are so fond of.   As you know, this book club is really just for the Harry Potter books.

Connie, our moderator, might actually move your post there in the future, so look for it!

Another place where you could post your report is the Teen Reads book club.  That's also a great place to find other young people like yourself. 

Yep there's already several thread there on Fiest.

Frequent Contributor
regilis
0 Kudos

thanks psychee for the idea I never gave any thought of putting it in the fantasy board even though it seems like the obvious choice. I don't think i would ever go to the teen reads board agian though because i am older then most of the people there and I already 2 years ago, when i signed up had more complex veiws on liturature then people twice my age. thanks
"The happiest man on Earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is."
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

regilis wrote:

Since very few of you seem to have read any of feists books that have read my other posts I would like to offer a challenge to you. Go to your library or local bn and pick up one of his books and read it preferably Magican: apprentice which was his first book wrote in the 1980's. I garranty that you will like it, for one thing every one of his books is a new york times best seller, and he is considered the master of fantasy writing. If you are willing to do this write back.

regilis I do think you are in great company here in the Fantasy board with these books.  My brother got me started with Feist and I absolutely love his books.  I have been away from them for a time here reading all the wonderful suggestions by these wonderful people and our exceptional moderator Paul.  I do plan on getting back to the wonderful world he has created here some day.

I started with Magician: Apprentice and then dived right into the whole series and then the lives of Aruthas 3 boys and even went on to the next series where they have their own children and Avery and and oohhh I am drawing a blank on the larger built man that killed his half brother to save the woman that was like a sister to him.  Oh, faulty brain at the moment, that is what I get for going away for 3 days - loss all sense.

I do love the writing style also and the world building.  I was very depressed on the last book I read when Jimmy the hand and all the old crew dies.  I know, I know, they cant live forever and I accept that.  They lived long great lives.  At least Pug is still alive and I love his second wife as well.  I look forward to getting back to them here some day soon.  Know that I am thinking on it I will have to schedule him in next year when I free up some of my reading time.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Tektonica

Re: Raymond E. Feist's World Of Midkemia

I noticed the last post in this tread was December, but I've just discovered Feist, thanks to recommendations on this site, thank you, and I'd like to weigh in, if that's OK.

If the series is good, the longer the better!  I love getting totally submerged in Feists world, watching it grow and expand as the stories develop.  Part of the beauty of coming to a series twenty years after it's been started is not having to delay gratification and the ability to move from book to book rapidly!  His character development is by and large, excellent, and along with detailed world building, his best asset.  He does have some good turns of phrase as well!  And I love the maps!  All maps.  It's nice to know where we are.

Like you, I like the way the world expands and yet alludes to and includes past characters and events.  The small series groups do stand alone, but are richer when you've read the previously referenced groups.  It's nice to meet old friends again.  

Feist certainly has some serious points to make, both politically and religiously as well, which only enhance the enjoyment, complexity and drama.  

As for favorite characters....Initially, I loved Pug, but I found him much thinner in later novels.  We didn't get as much of his though processes in the later works.  Loved Arutha, his sons, and Tomas.  The Duke of Olasko grew on me as he reformed....watching his Arc was very interesting.  Loved Talwin Hawkins alot and his arc as well, but the all time best for me is Jimmy the Hand.  Guess I just love those "bad boys" that grow into good men.  

I'm about to launch into his newest book, but am procrastinating, as I know there's nothing more from him for awhile.  I've enjoyed his world very much!

Thank you all for very good recommendations!  I enjoy reading everyone's comments.

Tricia