Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Recommend obscure books

Define 'obscure' however you will- I'm going to go with "haven't really seen it discussed anywhere".

Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages trilogy- Great epic fantasy series. It's been a long time since I read it, so I'll just link to the reviews.

John C. Wright's Orphans of Chaos trilogy- Think it's impossibly to write an original story about about mysterious orphans with magical powers? Think again. Wright does the impossible, in this extremely intelligent series.

Garry Kilworth's House of Tribes (funny, all my picks have 'of' in them)- A pretty decent anthropomorphic animal book. This one is about mice.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Recommend obscure books

Raven,

Nice starter list but we have mentioned Elizabeth Hayden's Symphany Of Ages books though a lot of people call it the Rhaposdy series.  John C. Wrights series was very good but I have not read the last series.  I would add another series that does not get mentioned much and that is Janny Wurts THE WAR OF LIGHT AND SHADOW series and I just found out today that they are going to be rerleased starting in May 2009 with one a month.  I was only able to read half the series so I am looking forward to reading all of it this time.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Troika by Stepan Chapman – seemingly written by an insane person but absolutely brilliant!

Troika 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I'll toss in a guy I've discovered in like the last 3 months. A. Lee Martinez. Most of the books are humorous in nature. The books I'd reference for him are:

"Automatic Detective"- Detective Noir, but with a sentient robot designed for world domination.

"Gil's All Fright Diner" - Perhaps more Urban/Paranormal about what amounts to a redneck Werewolf and his Vampire buddy stopping the end of the world. The funniest one so far. Zombie Cows in it. Need I say more?

"In the Company of Ogres" - Never Dead Ned (actually he's killed A LOT, but never stays that way) takes over Ogre Company, a misfit mercenary unit.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic

While we're doing Martinez, I'd like to throw in Too Many Curses. A wizard dies, and his kobold helper has to clean up his messes (along with a one-horned, one-eyed purple people eater).
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:
While we're doing Martinez, I'd like to throw in Too Many Curses. A wizard dies, and his kobold helper has to clean up his messes (along with a one-horned, one-eyed purple people eater).

Oh that one is a good one. Ran across it, read it, enjoyed it, loaned it, and likely never to see it again at this rate.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

Oh that one is a good one. Ran across it, read it, enjoyed it, loaned it, and likely never to see it again at this rate.

I was gonna pick that up the other day but they were out. I may have to order but I hate waiting! I'm such a little kid! "Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?"

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

[ Edited ]

I had read these two books when they first came out and found them again today in my local used bookstore.Jewels of the Dragon  Crown of the Serpent  I enjoyed them the first time it will be interesting to see how I like them 20 years later.

I also got some of Lawerence Watt-Evans' Esthar books

The Misenchanted Sword (Legends of Ethshar Series #1) 

The Spell of the Black Dagger (Legends of Ethshar Series #6)  

With a Single Spell (Legends of Ethshar Series #2)  

The Unwilling Warlord (Legends of Ethshar Series #3)  

The Spriggan Mirror (Legends of Ethshar Series #9)   

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 03-17-2009 08:45 PM
Toni L. Chapman
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I love Watt-Evans! The Ethshar books are very fun. A little humor and a good story for them. I like his new series also. The Wizard Lord is one of the books, I can't remember what the first one is for that series (gettin' drifty in my old age).

Brad

Nelsmom wrote:

I had read these two books when they first came out and found them again today in my local used bookstore.Jewels of the Dragon  Crown of the Serpent  I enjoyed them the first time it will be interesting to see how I like them 20 years later.

I also got some of Lawerence Watt-Evans' Esthar books

The Misenchanted Sword (Legends of Ethshar Series #1) 

The Spell of the Black Dagger (Legends of Ethshar Series #6)  

With a Single Spell (Legends of Ethshar Series #2)  

The Unwilling Warlord (Legends of Ethshar Series #3)  

The Spriggan Mirror (Legends of Ethshar Series #9)   

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 03-17-2009 08:45 PM

Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

dont know if these have been discussed here or not. DEATH'S HEAD series by DAVID GUNN. THE NIGHT ANGEL  trilogy by BRENT WEEKS.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

MJS,

Good call I have not read any of David Gunn's books but I do have the Night Angel books though I haven't read them yet.  They are buried in my TBR pile.  I guess that maybe I ought to dig them out and read them.  Feel free to list any books you like.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

i really liked the two DEATH'S HEAD books  DAVID GUNN has out. they are NOT for the faint of heart. the main character is SVEN TVESKOEG and he is one crazy S.O.B. one of the darker anti-hero i have ever read.

marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

I loved Henry Kuttner's short stories.  He died decades ago, so he no longer has a Publicity Machine, I guess.  But his "Best Of..." collection is terrific, and will probably make you scramble to find out what else he's written.
"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"