Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
ryanthesearcher
0 Kudos

Recommended Smart Action/Sci-Fi Novels

After discovering the Vorkosigan Saga and rereading The Forever War I'm trying to find more Science Fiction novels that combine exciting action with smart/smartly executed story telling. Now to clear things up, by "action" I don't necessarily mean Military Sci-Fi(although those shouldn't be excluded) I'd like more variety like cyberpunk or present based science fiction.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Recommended Smart Action/Sci-Fi Novels

If you like the Vorkosigan Saga.you might enjoy the Culture novels by Iain M Banks. They're not really a series with any common characters, more a series of books set in the same universe, a highly advanced civilization of people and AIs who dominate a galactic culture. A lot of action, some military, some espionage. I've been enjoying them.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

The Dorsai saga by Gordon Dickson

The Honor Harrington series by David Weber

The Prince Roger series (March Upcountry, March to the Sea, March to Space, and We Few) by David Weber and John Ringo

Belisarius series by David Drake and Eric Flint

The Posleen War series by John Ringo

1632 by Eric Flint (and sequels)

Janissaries series by Jerry Pournelle

Warworld series edited by Jerry Pournelle

Footfall, Lucifer's Hammer, and The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Revolt in 2100 and Methuselah's Children by Robert Heinlein

Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

The Trikon Deception by Ben Bova and Bill Pogue

Of course, there are classics like the Lensman series by E. E. "Doc" Smith and the Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison

Somewhat different kind of action:

Starbridge series by A. C. Crispin

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

Snow

Snow Crash  

An all time favorite.  Sadly, I don't find that anything else from Mr. Stephenson lives up to this.  A lot of people disagree with that sentiment, however, so if you like this one you might want to try out his other stuff as well.

Frequent Contributor
WONK
0 Kudos

There are some other Dickson stories such as Spacial Delivery, None But Man, Wolfing... and there is also the classic Fuzzy Papers or even Asimov.  I have a special foundness for the classic stories by Hamilton and Wienbaum, which also fit this thread.  Of course I need to plug my own tales since I like to think I copied some of the style of EE Doc Smith and Poul Anderson, the first you have mentioned already while Anderson is harder to find today outside of the best story collections from the past but he is worth looking for.  Come to think of it just looking for the Amazing story collections or Golden collections will give you a number of possibilities...

Runo singer and curmudgeon
Sirvio's Keep
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio
Keep's Books and Tales
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/content.html
Book reviews
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/reviews.html
Gorden's bookshelf
www.midwestbookreview.com
Taconite Runes
http://TaconiteRunes.com
Pulp Writing
http://forums.delphiforums.com/pulpwriting/messages
Correspondent
ManuelGarcia

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@Htom_Serveaux:

I agree with your opinion of most of Neal Stephenson's body of work, but I did enjoy The Big U.  Have you read that one?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

ManuelGarcia wrote:

IO9.com has a list of 10 Novels That Are More Action-Packed Than Most Summer Movies

Wow, that's actually a pretty good list.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

@BrandieC:

I have not. I'll have to give it a look, thanks. I've still got Reamde on the shelf, I just can't work up any enthusiasm for it after Anathem and the whole "Baroque Cycle" thing.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

ManuelGarcia wrote:

IO9.com has a list of 10 Novels That Are More Action-Packed Than Most Summer Movies

Wow, that's actually a pretty good list.

And some other interesting lists there.  I rather liked the 10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read (And Why You Should Actually Read Them).  (I've actually read four of them.)

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

And some other interesting lists there.  I rather liked the 10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read (And Why You Should Actually Read Them).  (I've actually read four of them.)

I've read three plus skimmed through Dune.  I put The Long Tomorrow on my list to read along with Jonathan Strange.  The guy sitting next to me monitoring a door while some work was taking place last night was starting Gravity's Rainbow and said it was pretty slow going.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Gravity's Rainbow may be at the very top of the list of books people claim to have read but never actually have. Even more than Finnegan's Wake.