Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Reminder! Riverworld Movie on SyFy Channel Tonight (4/18)!

As you all probably know, Philip Jose Farmer passed away last year. One of his most renowned sagas is his Riverworld sequence – the Hugo Award winning To Your Scattered Bodies Go (1971), The Fabulous Riverboat (1971), The Dark Design (1977), The Magic Labyrinth (1980) and Gods of Riverworld (1983) – and the SyFy Channel is launching a Riverworld movie tonight! (The teaser is below)

And for those of you interested, Tor Books just released Riverworld, an omnibus trade paperback that contains both To Your Scattered Bodies Go and The Fabulous Riverboat! Anyone interested in reading this? Maybe as a feature in May or June? What do you think?

Paul

What if, after you die, you are reborn on another planet, along with everyone else who has lived and died on Earth? And what if, in this incredible life after death, there comes death after death, after death, after death? Welcome to Riverworld, a place of strange, watery beauty and the current abode of a fascinating cast of the recently (and not-so-recently) dead. It certainly isn't Heaven, but it just might be Hell.

Matt, an American journalist, and his fiancee, Jessie, are killed in an explosion, but reawaken in this unusual afterlife. Everyone who has ever lived on Earth has been resurrected simultaneously in this strange new world. Determined to find Jessie, Matt joins forces with an intrepid crew, including a 13th century female warrior and riverboat captain Mark Twain. As they embark upriver, their adventure begins, all the while tracked by the watchful eye of a mysterious alien force.

Tahmoh Penikett (Battlestar Galactica/Dollhouse) and Laura Vandervoort (Smallville) star in Riverworld, a four-hour miniseries based on the popular award-winning series of novels by Philip Jose Farmer. Others in the cast include Alan Cumming (Tin Man), Mark Deklin (Nip/Tuck), and Peter Wingfield (X2: X-Men United). Riverworld is directed by Stuart Gillard (Charmed, Taking Liberty) and produced by Reunion Pictures.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Reminder! Riverworld Movie on SyFy Channel Tonight (4/18)!

I've only read the last 2 before, the earlier one's were out of print for awhile. The later 2 were very gough though. I'm game.

pen21
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. It is off to a good start. pen21

pen21
0 Kudos

I thought it was very good. 4 hours in a row did get long. The story kept it going.

Maybe 2 hours, 2 nights would have been better.

I would be wiling to read if others are interested.

pen21

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pen21 wrote:

I thought it was very good. 4 hours in a row did get long. The story kept it going.

pen21

Yes, pen, too long. I missed the last hour or so because I had to put my kids to bed. My feeling is this: very interesting concept. I think that in book form it would probably be more "successful" and since I've yet to read To Your scattered Bodies Go, I'd like to read this new Riverworld omnibus edition. I mean, it won the Hugo Award in '71 so it has to be good!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21

Let me know which month you think we will have it.

I will probably just order it in my next shipment anyway.

After seeing the movie, I think the book could do a better job.

It seems I have read this one, but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the tip for last night's viewing.

pen21

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

pen21 wrote:

pen21

Yes, pen, too long. I missed the last hour or so because I had to put my kids to bed. My feeling is this: very interesting concept. I think that in book form it would probably be more "successful" and since I've yet to read To Your scattered Bodies Go, I'd like to read this new Riverworld omnibus edition. I mean, it won the Hugo Award in '71 so it has to be good!

Paul

Did any of us make it through all of it, cause I didn't either. Hoping they'll do like nearly always and repeat it.

pen21
0 Kudos

TiggerBear,

I missed about the last 15 minutes. I will probably catch it on a rerun or wait to read the book.

I liked the premise of this world that Farmer has created. The world has a lot of possibilities.

I just saw this on bn.com, the first was is from 2003, sounds like a pilot that scifi did back then.

I am assuming the one that comes out in July is the one that was just on scifi.

Frequent Contributor
holyboy

pen21 wrote:

TiggerBear,

I missed about the last 15 minutes. I will probably catch it on a rerun or wait to read the book.

I liked the premise of this world that Farmer has created. The world has a lot of possibilities.

I just saw this on bn.com, the first was is from 2003, sounds like a pilot that scifi did back then.

I am assuming the one that comes out in July is the one that was just on scifi.

Pen21,

The first one, from 2003, was very poorly done. I'm glad the SF Channel took another stab at it. I only saw bits of the recent one. It was far better than the first, but still, I'd recommend the book over any video. FWIW.