Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

Was anyone here a fan of this series?

I read the first six books when I was in college.  For the most part I loved those first six, and kept with the series even though it slowed down considerably over the last few books.

As I'm sure many know, fantasy readers were greatly saddened last year when Jordan passed away.  However, Tor Books announced late last year that Brandon Sanderson will be finishing the final volume of the series, with the working title A Memory of Light.  Personally, I'm unfamiliar with Sanderson's work - he's the author of the Mistborn series which seems to get some good reviews.  And as people have said on various sites, Jordan left behind considerable notes (including the full sequence of events for the series' ending) with his wife and other close relatives and friends.  So the final book is likely to be good.

Thoughts on what we might see in this final volume or on Jordan's rich universe?  

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

Jon_B wrote:

Was anyone here a fan of this series?

I read the first six books when I was in college. For the most part I loved those first six, and kept with the series even though it slowed down considerably over the last few books.

As I'm sure many know, fantasy readers were greatly saddened last year when Jordan passed away. However, Tor Books announced late last year that Brandon Sanderson will be finishing the final volume of the series, with the working title A Memory of Light. Personally, I'm unfamiliar with Sanderson's work - he's the author of the Mistborn series which seems to get some good reviews. And as people have said on various sites, Jordan left behind considerable notes (including the full sequence of events for the series' ending) with his wife and other close relatives and friends. So the final book is likely to be good.

Thoughts on what we might see in this final volume or on Jordan's rich universe?

I have not tried to tackle this series but, from the reviews, It does seem like a good follow-up to Tolkien's LOTR. The first three books of the series received excellent reviews but as time went on it looks like they got progressively long winded and deteriorated. Books 1,2 & 3 might inspire some worthwhile discussions if anyone wants to take them on. I have never read any of them so I would be a first-time reader and I have a feeling there are not many of those around.

"Robert Jordan has stated that he consciously intended the early chapters of The Eye of the World to evoke the Shire of Middle-earth inJ R T Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Other strong allusions to The Lord of the Rings exist as well, particularly the incorporeal and invisible Dark Lord, the dark home realm of Mordor compared to Thakan'dar (as well as Shayol Ghul' Pit of Doom to the fiery pit of Mount Doom), obvious similarities between Trollocs and Orcs, Nazgûl and Myrddraal, and Padan Fain and Gollum."

I dredged up a list of the all (I think) titles in the series.

Prequel: New Spring

Book 1: The Eye of the World
Book 2: The Great Hunt
Book 3: The Dragon Reborn

Book 4: The Shadow Rising
Book 5: The Fires of Heaven
Book 6: Lord of Chaos

Book 7: A Crown of Swords
Book 8: The Path of Daggers
Book 9: Winter's Heart

Book 10: Crossroads of Twilight
Book 11: Knife of Dreams
Book 12: A Memory of Light (preliminary title)

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I would not have had the patience to read them, but I did listen to them on CD's and they were perfect audio-books, especially if you don't listen as close as your read, as I do. Well read and the story took you into a whole new world. I felt like I knew the characters, and while they did meander, it was like spending time with friends. I expect closure for the story, since Jordan had planned it, and characters will remain true. I expect the "voice" will be different, but if it comes out in audio, I will get it for sure.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

They are good books. I've read up to 7. But they require more stamina each time. The further the book the dryer the read. Still good though.
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

This is one of my favorite series. It took me a couple of tries to get into it, but once I started I couldn't put any of them down. Yeah, there were a couple of books in there that were less than spectacular and made you wonder if it was ever going to end, but taken all together it's a brillian, epic, engrossing tale.

Brandon Sanderson is going to write an awesome final volume for us. He's a fan, which is important, but what's more important is that he's a brilliant writer. I've read through everything he's published so far, and he's quickly worked his way into my list of favorite authors.

All I'm expecting out of A Memory of Light is a good ending to a great tale. And I want to find out who killed Asmodean.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Let me start by saying I really liked the first couple of books in this series, but as time went on, the books became a 600 page "A Day in the Life of Rand Al Thor". I saw a quote from Jordan several years ago (prophetic as it turned out) that he would not finish the series "in his lifetime". He then started a prequel series. It was sort of obvious to me that he was dragging the series out to make more money. He could have finished this off in like 5 books. Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters and the storyline but, as a reader, can't help feeling a little betrayed when they milk 'em for money. I stopped buying them. Same for George R.R. Martin's "Songs of Fire and Ice" series. A good series start and the dollar signs appeared. The last book in that series was a big disappointment for me, and it's been a couple of years since that one came out. By the time the next one comes out it will have been like 5 years since I last read about the characters he'll address in the new book (whenever that appears).

B.

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
darkkatz
0 Kudos

I  like the first few books of the series but then they seemed to drag on a bit
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I was/am.  I read every book execpt the prequil.  I must admit, towards the last three or four book I became frustrated with aspects of the story.   I would need to look at the books cause I never remember names, but the main guy and his madness and I can do this on my own attitude.  I just got bored with it.  I do like the princess and the romance developing between her and the cool reluctant hero. 

Looking forward to the final book, even if it isn't Jordan.   

Dude, Where's my book!
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Went to see Kiss in concert one time and Paul Stanley said "If you go to concert and the band doesn't give the respect you deserve for your hard earned cash..never buy another thing from them". It applies here. I started reading Jordan when he was doing the "Conan" series and reallly liked it. He did a great job. Early books in this series, very entertaining. Very sorry that he's gone, a real shame. That said, he got enough of my money in the first 7 books and was cheating me with descriptive "filler" to drag it out by book 4. My boycott will continue.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
THE-RED-BARON
0 Kudos

This is a long confusing and every now and then brilliant fantasy series, and I can't believe how the author Robert Jordan could keep track of all the side-stories and complex web of characters. When I finished the last completed book there was a lifetime of loose ends and I was really looking forward to see how it was all going to get tied together in the last book of the series. Then the author dies. Mngh! And I read recently that someone named Brandon Sanderson har taken over the job of finishing the last and twelfth book, but it seems impossible for someone else but Jordan to get this sorted out. Would recommend.
"Words. The fancier they come, the awesomer they are."
â Edgar Allen Poe
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Red-Baron,

Brandon Sanderson has written three very good novels Elantris, The Mistborn, and The Well Of Ascension.  From what Tor has put out Robert Jordan pretty much had the book written and it is mostly that Brandon is going through and editing and doing the final tweaking of the book with Robert's Widow having the final say in the book.  I guess we will just have to wait until the book comes out next year.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
THE-RED-BARON
0 Kudos

Hi Nelsmom - Thanks for the info!

Robert's widow...wow, I wonder where you heard that? Very interesting. Do you know when it comes out next year?

Thanks

"Words. The fancier they come, the awesomer they are."
â Edgar Allen Poe
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Red-Baron,

It was on Robert Jordan's website after his death and Tor had something on their website when they annouced that Brandon was going to finish the book.  I know it was Robert's wish that his widow be the one to have the final say in the book.  I haven't heard for sure when it will come out but I haven't looked for a while. Just checked the Tor website and they are stating Fall '09.  Exact date still unknown.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
foureyed

Don't get me started.
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Wordsmith
Sheripie55
0 Kudos

This series is amazing! The planning Robert Jordan had to of put into this series is insane. I don't believe I have ever been so impressed with a writer. I have to give Sanderson credit too! He did a great job finishing the series. I was very pleased with every book.

don't look back, there is a reason why your past is the past. so if someone didn't make it into your future. that just means that you will find someone better.