Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

SEPTEMBER FEATURE #1: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Details
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Re: SEPTEMBER FEATURE #1: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

[ Edited ]

The buzz surrounding this debut novel is nothing short of phenomenal – Publishers Weekly (the review is below) described it as "destined for bestsellerdom."

This one is going to be good....

Publishers Weekly

Debut author Morgenstern doesn't miss a beat in this smashing tale of greed, fate, and love set in a turn of the 20th-century circus. Celia is a five-year-old with untrained psychokinetic powers when she is unceremoniously dumped on her unsuspecting father, Hector Bowen, better known as Le Cirque des Reves' Prospero the Entertainer. Hector immediately hatches a sinister scheme for Celia: pit her against a rival's young magician in an epic battle of magic that will, by design, result in the death of one of the players, though neither Celia nor her adversary, Marco, is informed of the inevitable outcome. What neither Hector nor his rival count on is that Celia and Marco will eventually fall in love. Their mentors—Marco's mentor, Alexander, plucked him from the London streets due to his psychic abilities—attempt to intervene with little success as Celia and Marco barrel toward an unexpected and oddly fitting conclusion. Supporting characters—such as Bailey, a farm boy who befriends a set of twins born into the circus who will drastically influence his future; Isobel, a circus employee and onetime girlfriend of Marco's; and theatrical producer Chandresh Christophe Lefèvre—are perfectly realized and live easily in a giant, magical story destined for bestsellerdom. This is an electric debut on par with Special Topics in Calamity Physics. (Sept.)
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

I'm sooo glad you decided to feature 

The Night Circus. I noticed it and was intrigued. The professional reviews look FANTASTIC!

It's scheduled for release September 13, and I'd already determined that I was going to get it. :smileyhappy:

In addition to PW review, see The B&N review and other recommendations below:

From Barnes & Nobel

"Opens at Nightfall; Closes at Dawn." The Le Cirque des Rêves is a circus unlike any other, just as this magical debut novel is equally unique. At the center of The Night Circus spectacle are two specially gifted young magicians, Celia and Marco, pitted against each other in professional competition, drawn towards one another in love. Erin Morgenstern's literary fantasy has already drawn raves for its captivating evocativeness: "A world of almost unbearable beauty.... A love story on a grand scale: it creates, it destroys, it ultimately transcends." "A novel so magical that there is no escaping its spell... If you choose to read just one novel this year, this is it.

Praise For The NIght Circus

"The Night Circus made me happy. Playful and intensely imaginative, Erin Morgenstern has created the circus I have always longed for and she has populated it with dueling love-struck magicians, precocious kittens, hyper-elegant displays of beauty and complicated clocks. This is a marvelous book."

-- Audrey Niffenegger, author of The Time Traveler’s Wife

"Self-assured, entertaining debut that blends genres and crosses continents in quest of magic… Generous in its vision and fun to read. Likely to be a big book—and, soon, a big movie, with all the franchise trimmings."
Kirkus Reviews, starred review

“To enter the black-and-white-striped tents of Le Cirque des Rêves is to enter a world where objects really do turn into birds and people really do disappear…Debut novelist Morgenstern has written a 19th-century flight of fancy that is, nevertheless, completely believable. The smells, textures, sounds, and sights are almost palpable. A literary Mr. Toad’s Wild Ridethis read is completely magical.
Library Journal, starred review

"This big and compelling first novel ushers in a menacing tone with its first sentence: "The circus arrives without warning."...With appeal for readers not particularly geared to fantasy but who plainly enjoy an unusual and well-drawn story, this one will make a good crossover suggestion."
--Booklist, starred review

“‘Dark as soot and bright as sparks,’ The Night Circus still holds me willingly captive in a world of almost unbearable beauty. This is a love story on a grand scale: it creates, it destroys, it ultimately transcends. Take a bow, Erin Morgenstern. This is one of the best books I have ever read.” 
Brunonia Barry, author of The Lace Reader

“A riveting debut. The Night Circus pulls you into a world as dark as it is dazzling, fully-realized but still something out of a dream. You will not want to leave it.”
Téa Obreht, author of The Tiger’s Wife

"Every once in awhile you find a novel so magical that there is no escaping its spell. The Night Circus is one of these rarities -- engrossing, beautifully written and utterly enchanting. If you choose to read just one novel this year, this is it."
Danielle Trussoni, author of Angelology

"Pure pleasure...Erin Morgenstern is a gifted, classic storyteller, a tale-teller, a spinner of the charmed and mesmerizing -- I had many other things I was supposed to be doing, but the book kept drawing me back in and I tore through it. You can be certain this riveting debut will create a group of rêveurs all its own."
—Aimee Bender, author of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Night Circus is a gorgeously imagined fable poised in the high latitudes of Hans Christian Anderson and Oscar Wilde, with a few degrees toward Hesse’s “Steppenwolf” for dangerous spice. The tale is masterfully written and invites allegorical interpretations even as its leisurely but persistent suspense gives it compelling charm. An enchanting read.”
Katherine Dunn, author of Geek Love

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just started

The Night Circus.

It's a very pretty book. It reads like a dream with resonant descriptions and vivid imagery.

The style is distinctive but elusive to me. There's a vintage feel to the story-telling that I really enjoy. Maybe you'll be able to pinpoint exactly what style the book is written in Paul.  

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I finished the story. Basically, it's a fairy tale. The two main illusionist characters, Celia and Marco, never really moved me. I did sympathize with Celia more than Marco because she was so small when her own father bound her to a contest that might result in her death. Also, Marco just seemed like a distant manipulator to me. But neither of them felt particularly real.

What kept me reading was a desire to find out how the contest ends between Celia and Marco. They are irrevocably bound into a situation which becomes untenable because of their love for each other as well as the number of people depending upon and/or affected by the circus. The conclusion is somewhat predictable due, in part, to foreshadowing. I didn't feel completely satisfied at the end of the book. I suppose I like real consequences, not amorphous, fairy tale endings.

The sights, smells and tastes of the circus were the very best parts of the book for me. The descriptions of various secondary characters, especially the effete circus owner, did entertain me. And, I enjoyed the sub-plot involving the dreamer farm boy, Bailey, and the red haired fraternal twins raised within the circus.

This is a carefully constructed book. I enjoyed it, but only became fully immersed when the circus and its various entertainments were being described. I did become engaged by the contest, but I was never completely engaged because I suspected the things would work out for the main characters.  For me, the book was worth the read simply for the descriptions of the circus and the magical exhibits w/in it.     

Contributor
AngieG

I just finished this book this week and absolutely loved it; I can't recommend it highly enough! Probably my favorite book so far this year!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

AngieG wrote:

I just finished this book this week and absolutely loved it; I can't recommend it highly enough! Probably my favorite book so far this year!

Wow! Thanks pretty high praise, Angie!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I just started to read this book. I guess I am late to the party. I wondered if anyone found the surreal atmosphere similar to that in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell -by Susanna Clark.

I listened to it with an audio book and found I had to listen again and again, at times, in order to follow the thread of the story. I am finding that I have to rethink what I am reading in Night Circus, also.

The book, however, captured me with the opening lines, but I am finding the timeline hard to  follow at times and also the number of characters is cumbersome. I am hoping my confusion will all fall into place as I continue reading. I am shy of 100 pages into the book, and yet I am still being introduced to the background, by the author, so that may be the cause of my uncertainty about the novel.

Wordsmith
literature

thewanderingjew wrote:

I just started to read this book. I guess I am late to the party. I wondered if anyone found the surreal atmosphere similar to that in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell -by Susanna Clark.

I listened to it with an audio book and found I had to listen again and again, at times, in order to follow the thread of the story. I am finding that I have to rethink what I am reading in Night Circus, also.

The book, however, captured me with the opening lines, but I am finding the timeline hard to  follow at times and also the number of characters is cumbersome. I am hoping my confusion will all fall into place as I continue reading. I am shy of 100 pages into the book, and yet I am still being introduced to the background, by the author, so that may be the cause of my uncertainty about the novel.

Hi TWJ,

I have about 50 pages to go to finish the book and want to do it in one sitting so tomorrow will be it.  I reserved the book at my library, got impatient waiting for it so I downloaded it to my ipod.  Found it virtually impossible to follow the time line, listen to the narrator's voice while trying to also concentrate on the story.   Finally got the book but read it the same way we used to do FL...keep a list of characters and, in this instance, also kept a list of timelines with key word descriptions and it has been working.

This is my first "fantasy/SciFi" type book and I marvel at how precise the author was able to weave the story back and forth and then some.  It may seem like a fairy tale but I am caught up in her web.  As you get further into the book, you will get to know the characters so when they are mentioned, you will be instantly familiar with them.  Anything else I say about the story would be a spoiler at this point, so let me know when you are finished,  It is refreshing to read another genre and trying to figure out what is real and what is the illusion.

Regard,

Literature