Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: SF/Fantasy New Year's Resolutions!

Jon_B wrote:

My resolutions are to start going to the gym regularly and go to yoga at least once a week, to spend weekend mornings writing, and to finish the album I'm working on by March.

Jon:

My sister talked me in to taking a yoga class with her a few months back and – WOW – it was unbelievable. I carry my 25-pound daughter around most of the day and my back is always hurting me. When I started doing yoga, all of those little aches and pains slowly started to go away. I was really blown away....

And talk about getting a work out!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I need to get my hands on some more science-fiction to read this year. Fantasy is more fun to digest but not as thought provoking. I hadn't read SF in a very long time until this last year and I found an inner satisfaction from reading the different books I sampled. I want more of that this coming year. Thanks for all the suggestions people have posted in this board--it's given me more directions to choose from!

I also want to locate more science-fantasy (yes, this is an actual sub-genre). Looks like the upcoming selection from Ken Scholes might fit the bill. If anyone knows of other books that mix SF & F, let me know!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:
I also want to locate more science-fantasy (yes, this is an actual sub-genre). Looks like the upcoming selection from Ken Scholes might fit the bill. If anyone knows of other books that mix SF & F, let me know!

Clippership:

Yes, definitely read Lamentation. If you want thought-provoking, you'll get heaping helpings in the Scholes debut. Other recent science-fantasy releases that were amazing were Sanderson's Elantris and The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss (which is more mainstream fantasy but could very well evolve into a more science-fantasy in future installments...)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Thanks, Paul. I tackled Elantris a little while back and have just jumped into The Name of the Wind. If you think of any others, that would be great. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

1)  I like the read more resolution!- I have bought about 8 books from sugestions made here.  I want to delve into those ASAP!

2)  I want to learn at least 2 new songs on my bass guitar.

3)  I want to get an early start on next year's Christmas Letter.  I've not sent one out for two years.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I'll ask the big question....

We are 10 days into the new year.  How is everyone doing on there resolutions?  Are we working toward them yet?

I have started with the exercising.  I got the wii fit and LOOOVE it.  It really makes exercising fun!!  I was wondering about it but am very pleased I got it.  Hopefully this will help me toward the lossing weight resolution.

I am trying to get through the books.  I don't read as fast as some other people, (Paul).  HAHA.  But, I am enjoying what I am able to read and I really like having a list of ideas.  When I didn't know what to get it made it harder to find something.  I may be able to do the 2 books from the boards a month.

As for the writing, well,,,, I am not getting to it every night but even if I can do it a few times a week.  It is nice to get back to that and even think about what I will write is mind occupying.

Melissa

Message Edited by Melhay on 01-10-2009 06:31 PM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Melissa,

So far I have spent more time with friends and I have read one new author and have a second one on hold at the library.  So I'm in pretty good shape to keeping my resolutions.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Melissa, I'm glad one of us is doing the writing.  I haven't wrote a line yet.  I'm going to try my best to follow your example and start tonight before bed.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

We are 10 days into the new year.  How is everyone doing on there resolutions?  Are we working toward them yet?

Melissa:

I'm doing good on all my resolutions – but I do want to clarify something – when I started this thread, I listed some popular resolutions, not my own, so I just had to say that I do not nor have I ever smoked and I'm not trying to lose 20 pounds (well, maybe 5 pounds would be nice...) My resolutions were pretty simple:

1. Get more people to visit this forum! (I want this place to be as popular as Paranormal.)

2. Publish at least 1 creative work

3. Be able to bench at least 250 by the end of the year.

4. Shave at least once in 2009.

5. Did I mention that I wanted to increase traffic in this forum? 

Yeah, I know... probably not very popular resolutions but there you have it...

Paul 

Contributor
Nursefuratu
0 Kudos

I simply want to be more organized and have more energy in 2009. My bizzare sleep schedule and sometimes very sad job gets the best of me and I am finding myself chronicly tired. Books are my prozac and I may not post here often- but the wonderful book & author suggestions you all make here are a life saver to me!

Thank you!

"That's what we all are - just stories. We only exist by how people remember us, by the stories we make of our lives. Without the stories, we'd just fade away." - Charles de Lint.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well Paul,

I have been trying to put the word out to come to the forum here.  I don't know many people around my area that are into the fantasy/scifi books, hence thats why I am here.  I have mentioned to my brother a few times about "here".  haha.  He and his friends enjoy the fantasy/scifi and paranormal books.  The way he has been working he has not had a chance to stop by.  I am trying to spread the word thou. 

Shave only once?!!?  Why shave at all?  Oh, if you do publish your work please let us know.  I would like to pick it up.

Toni,

This time of the year is to be spent with friends and family.  We have been doing alot of that also.  I try to just sneak my book in when I can or stop to write for just a few minutes.

fforgnayr,

Even to just think on the writing is nice for me I can start to put things together in my head then when I do get to sit down it seems to come easier.  Hoping you get a chance to write.

Melissa

Message Edited by Melhay on 01-12-2009 09:53 AM
Message Edited by Melhay on 01-12-2009 09:56 AM

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Melissa

Message Edited by Melhay on 01-10-2009 06:31 PM

-I'm working my knee up to hiking and/or jogging again. The weather here in Denver is not currently cooperating (snow today and heavy wind for the last week! Yuck!)

-Some meals are being eaten at the table but still trying to get away from eating in front of the TV (actually trying to get my wife not eat in front of it is the hard part, lol)

-Despite my continued prayers, Peter Forsberg is not back to the Avalanche yet.

- I've been in contact with a couple of breed rescue organizations (Newfoundland and Great Pyrenees) for some possible volunteer work

- Battlestar Galactica is not yet back on for the new season, but I'm all over the premiere on Friday though

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

qarae wrote:

Read more

Eat less

Qarae:

Short and sweet. I like the resolution: Read more. Eat more. Drink less coffee...

Paul 

Drink less coffee?!!! I think this is the part where I turn you in for "inappropriate content". I don't have to put that kind of dirty talk, mister!

Brad

Yeah, sorry Paul. Going to have to join Brad on this one. I've got Kona; drop on in, y'all. 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Well Paul,

I have been trying to put the word out to come to the forum here.  I don't know many people around my area that are into the fantasy/scifi books, hence thats why I am here.  I have mentioned to my brother a few times about "here".  haha.  He and his friends enjoy the fantasy/scifi and paranormal books.  The way he has been working he has not had a chance to stop by.  I am trying to spread the word thou. 

Shave only once?!!?  Why shave at all?  Oh, if you do publish your work please let us know.  I would like to pick it up.

Melissa:

Hey, thanks for spreading the word – it's MUCH appreciated.

As for shaving, well, I haven't really shaved my face since I first started dating my wife so that's probably been close to 10 years. Truth be told, I love my beard but I've forgotten what I look like underneath so, gulp, I'm going to try to really do it this year.... 

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:
Yeah, sorry Paul. Going to have to join Brad on this one. I've got Kona; drop on in, y'all. 

Kona? Kona! KONA!!! (Please read this message in the Cookie Monster's narrative voice. Thank you.)

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

New Year's resolutions?? hmmm...I like them.

This year : 1) to be less negative.

2) to be present in every moment.

3) laugh more. 

4) read more.

5) write more.

6) love more. 

7) participate more.

I'm sure the list could go on and on but these seem to sum up a lot. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I guess I really suck at this whole New Years Resolution thing.  I'm going to write in my journal for the first time today.  So I have gone over two months before I could even get to this resolution.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

So far I have only stuck to one of the four resolutions that I posted in this thread - the one about going to the gym 2/3 times a week, which is the easiest one since it's enjoyable and the gym is across the street from the office.

I've been to yoga maybe twice since January.   I've made progress on the album but it's far from finished.  As for writing, that one's not entirely my fault as my laptop's keyboard is malfunctional.  I'm planning on getting one of those Linux netbooks just for writing.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well Ryan it is funny you pulled this thread today.  I was thinking on it this afternoon, weither I was doing as I had hoped for the new year.

Well....

I have been exercising every week at least 3 times since the new year and am enjoying it along with feeling better.  I have lost 5 pounds!!  I don't need to lose much it is just feeling better that I needed.

I have cut down on the pop. (yes I am from Western PA.  We have pop here.)

I am picking up on the suggested books from the Fantasy and Paranormal sites.  (By the way I am loving them all!!!)

As for the writing....  I have been too busy reading to squeeze it in.  I know, I know, I have to make the time.  I have been thinking on what I want to write but just haven't done it.  I do need to make the time and just do it.

Mel

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hey friends! There's a multitude out there waiting to cut you down; don't do it for them! It's a weird world but you're doing fine. All progress is progress.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)