Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

SF/Fantasy New Year's Resolutions!

[ Edited ]

Lose 20 pounds, spend more time with family and friends, quite smoking, quit drinking, finally spring for the tin foil hat you've always wanted (see Santa is an Alien thread!)....

What are your New Years resolutions? And have any particular books made it onto your list? (The one book I really want to make sure that I read is Cormac McCarthy's The Road...)

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 12-18-2008 06:17 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: SF/Fantasy New Year's Resolutions!

I don't need to quit smoking or drinking and I spend a lot of time with Family but I could spend more time with Friends.  I do want to lose another 20 pounds and I want to read something by one new (at least new to me) every month.  There are two in the works for next month so that will be a good start.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TLC:

I'm with you – reading debut authors isn't necessarily a "resolution" for me but that truly is one of the joys of my job. It's soooo cool to discover a new author before they've become household names! (Insert Ken Scholes rave here.)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

I can just copy over my list from last year!

Let's see, the oldies but goodies
- Lose weight of course. Let's be realistic this year, though. I'm going to aim for ten pounds -- one a month with a little wiggle room for back-sliding.
- Get more exercise.
- Clean my house occasionally.
- Ditto on weeding the garden.
- Learn Spanish

Now for some new ones.
- Read one of Paul's selections for the month. I hope they are not too bizarre!  I just got The Alchemy of Stone.
- Learn Chinese Brush Painting. I want a creative hobby.
- Take up Birding. Well, at least it is a little exercise and doesn't seem so boring. I just ordered some binoculars and bird identification books.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
- Read one of Paul's selections for the month. I hope they are not too bizarre!  I just got The Alchemy of Stone.

Nadine:

Sometimes bizarre is good! :smileyhappy: Doesn't The Alchemy of Stone look fantastic? I'm dying to read it but I have about 6 books to go before I can do it.

Paul 

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

- Get on my running and hiking again (my arthritic knee permitting)

- Cook more meals at home AND eat them at the dinner table...not in front of the TV!

- Keep up with Battlestar Galactica. Love the show, have a hard time watching any show every week

- Pray every day for Peter Forsberg to get healthy and come back to my beloved Colorado Avalanche (Hey! this is the Fanatsy thread, I can dream can't I?!).

- Get a little more active in an animal rescue organization.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
Soccercoach
0 Kudos

Mine is just plain & simple - Read more. If I can do 2 books a month. I will be overjoyed.
Contributor
qarae
0 Kudos

Read more

Eat less

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

qarae wrote:

Read more

Eat less

Qarae:

Short and sweet. I like the resolution: Read more. Eat more. Drink less coffee...

Paul 

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

qarae wrote:

Read more

Eat less

Qarae:

Short and sweet. I like the resolution: Read more. Eat more. Drink less coffee...

Paul 

Drink less coffee?!!! I think this is the part where I turn you in for "inappropriate content". I don't have to put that kind of dirty talk, mister!

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:
Drink less coffee?!!! I think this is the part where I turn you in for "inappropriate content". I don't have to put that kind of dirty talk, mister!

Brad:

Thanks for knocking some sense into me – I feel as though this was a cyber intervention of sorts. No more inappropriate content – I'm drinking my third cup of coffee today as we speak. Thank you for helping me stay on the path that will lead me to liquid enlightenment...

Starbucks + Stars Wars = Java the Hutt 

Paul 

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad:

Thanks for knocking some sense into me – I feel as though this was a cyber intervention of sorts. No more inappropriate content – I'm drinking my third cup of coffee today as we speak. Thank you for helping me stay on the path that will lead me to liquid enlightenment...

Starbucks + Stars Wars = Java the Hutt 

Paul 

Glad I was there for ya, Boss. That was a close call!

Brad

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The predictable ones of course: Lose 20lbs, no more pop, excercise more, and start writing in my journal again every night before bed.

The fun ones: get a tattoo, go skydiving, and get my ears pierced again for the 5th time (I keep taking them out and the holes keep closing)

Books: Orcs, The Road, Katherine Neville's sequel to The Eighth, and whatever else strikes my fancy

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the basics, as with everyone else, exercise more, lose some weight (I'm not putting a number so I won't be bummed out when I don't hit it), try to limit the pop (I hear that helps with the weight lose).  I like the idea of writing in the journal every night.  I think I might have to copy that one... I hope you don't mind.  I have been putting off lately writing.  As for the coffee... Nope, I can't give that up.  It's what keeps me going!

As for the books, I would like to pick up 1 possibly 2 books on the discussion schedules every month.  (Thanks Paul - so far I like what I see there)  I want to expand my reading, even if they are bizarre.

Melissa

Message Edited by Melhay on 12-29-2008 09:28 AM
Message Edited by Melhay on 12-29-2008 09:29 AM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I like the idea of writing in the journal every night.  I think I might have to copy that one... I hope you don't mind.  I have been putting off lately writing

Go for it.......

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

My resolutions are to start going to the gym regularly and go to yoga at least once a week, to spend weekend mornings writing, and to finish the album I'm working on by March.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Contributor
JamieGurl
0 Kudos

Oooooh . . . My turn!

1. While I do want to lose weight, that's not my resolution. I want to get back into a sports activity; specifically tennis. I was in awesome chape in high school because I was active, and sports gave me the incentive. I'm trying to use that incentive again . . . I just need to find someone/people to play with, without having to pay up the nose.

2. Do more volunteer work. I help with a cancer camp every year, and I did a lot in high school, but I want to join a program that helps kids in foster care.

3. Read at least five books someone else suggests, that I might not normally pick on my own. (Note: I am not reading Twilight; anything critics relate to an epic love story and Titanic . . . we'll just leave it alone.)

4. Be neater . . . I hate cleaning and when it's not related to reading a book I like, I'm a procrastinator. My home isn't "dirty," it's messy. That is something I definitely need to take in hand. God help me if I have kids before I do; no one would want to see my apartment. :smileytongue:

5. (Five's a nice round number to have.) Save some money. I would like to have a decent amount tucked away in my savings. Though what number is decent? . . . We'll see.

That about covers it for me.

Frequent Contributor
Shootydog
0 Kudos

1.  To read more.  I have gotten away from reading in the last few years and I need to return to that which brought me so much joy in the past.

2.  To write more.  I plan to spend this year improving my writing skills.  Probably take an  online course and joing a writing group or two. 

3.  Adopt the foster daughter that has been with us for over a year.  This year I will become a father...finally. 

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Contributor
JamieGurl
0 Kudos

I just want congratulate you on adoptiong from foster care, Shootydog. I was in the system most of my childhood, and they need more good foster parents to adopt.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

CONGRADULATIONS!!! That is great to hear on the adoption.  Very good friends of mine have been trying to adopt and the system is very hard.  A lot of things you have to go through to get there.  It is great to hear when people make it through and get to adopt.  I am glad to hear you got your child.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/