Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Sauron vs. Darth Vader vs. Voldemort- who would win?

Like I said You need to decide on a neutral ground and if they all are going to have their powers or it be an even playing field.  I think it would be the one with the biggest rock that would win.  I can't see any of them giving up their advantage.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Who would win in a Mixed Martial Arts cage fight? Darth Maul or Neo?

What about The Thing versus Edward Scissorhands? (Trick question – rock always beats scissors.)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Who would win in a Mixed Martial Arts cage fight? Darth Maul or Neo?

What about The Thing versus Edward Scissorhands? (Trick question – rock always beats scissors.)

Paul 

Why would Thing pick on poor pacifist Edward?

And Neo is king only in the matrix construct, outside he's an adverage joe. 

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Like I said You need to decide on a neutral ground and if they all are going to have their powers or it be an even playing field.  I think it would be the one with the biggest rock that would win.  I can't see any of them giving up their advantage.

Toni

Stripped of all of their advantages, [ if Sauron had no Rings, Voldemort no wand, and Darth Vader no special suit and light-sabre ] it would be tricky deciding just who might be victorious in the confrontation.

Perhaps whoever could be the most devious or clever...

This all reminds me of a trend in Comic Books that was going on back in the late 1960's - early 1970's I believe - where superheroes were pitted against each other ( Spiderman vs. DareDevil, Spiderman vs. Batman, just for instance ) - usually, nobody really wound up "winning" in the end, or destroying his opponent - they might eventually realize, too, that they were both really "Good Guys" anyway, and on the same side of things, and had somehow been duped intp confronting each other...

The funniest bit I ever saw along these lines goes back to an old MAD Magazine pastiche from the late

1950's, where "Captain Marbles" went toe-to-toe with "Superduperman" - it was all also making fun of the

"Copyright Infringement" suit that DC Comics had brought against the Marvel Comics

( the "real" Sperman versus "Captain Marvel" ) --- that MAD take-off was hilarious! ---

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
New User
Daveyroo
0 Kudos

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but i found this by google, and i couldnt help but comment!

has anyone thought about this? Voldemort saying ''Accio Ring'' which would make the one ring be in his hand, then say ''Accio Lightsabor'' and the same would happen for the saber, then he could just apparate to mount doom and throw them both in. then apparate back and avada kadavra darth vader.

I suppose he could also just avada kadavra them both. I dont think darth vader stands a chance, he cant stop spells. So voldy would crucio him or something then kill him. Sauron is a wizard as well though, so its a hard choice.

And whoever said that thing about sauron mind controlling them both, Voldemort is a master of ligillimancy (mind reading/ mind controll) so dont speak to soon. Also he is very clever, and no way near stupid enough to accept a ring from sauron.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Daveyroo wrote:

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but i found this by google, and i couldnt help but comment!

has anyone thought about this? Voldemort saying ''Accio Ring'' which would make the one ring be in his hand, then say ''Accio Lightsabor'' and the same would happen for the saber, then he could just apparate to mount doom and throw them both in. then apparate back and avada kadavra darth vader.

I suppose he could also just avada kadavra them both. I dont think darth vader stands a chance, he cant stop spells. So voldy would crucio him or something then kill him. Sauron is a wizard as well though, so its a hard choice.

And whoever said that thing about sauron mind controlling them both, Voldemort is a master of ligillimancy (mind reading/ mind controll) so dont speak to soon. Also he is very clever, and no way near stupid enough to accept a ring from sauron.

Ah well nothing wrong with an old thread

The Voldy vs. Sauron ligillimancy thing. Think of it this way, Sauraman wasn't a slouch either in the mind control enviroment and he got controled. Sauron basically invented the power. An Ainur vs. just a man, (shaking head) no contest.

A basic Accido spell is just too basic anyway.

Contributor
Qdaba11
0 Kudos

Sauron wins easily ... unless Vader or Voldemort gets the Ring...
All about, the light of the midsummer shone green through the trees, it was another world -- that's what was promised...
Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

Sauron could be Darth Vader and Voldemort, even if those two joined up together (not likely since Voldemort doesn't like to play with other people). 

Between Lord Vader and Voldemort though, Vader would win.  Voldemort has to cast a spell while Vader wills something to happen and the Force makes it happen.  Vader also has a cool sword, something Vodemort doesn't have. 

Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
New User
Daveyroo
0 Kudos

you're forgetting that voldemort can teleport and cast a protective shield over himself so that no physical attack can hurt him. A simple Avada Kadavra and vader would be out. Its between Sauron and voldy here
Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

Daveyroo wrote:
you're forgetting that voldemort can teleport and cast a protective shield over himself so that no physical attack can hurt him. A simple Avada Kadavra and vader would be out. Its between Sauron and voldy here

Vader has more than just simple physical attacks at his disposal. 

To use the Killing Curse, Voldemort would have to wave and point a wand, and sometimes speak an incantation, telegraphing his intentions to Vader (or Sauron).  Vader has no need for such gestures (watch The Empire Strikes Back during the duel between Luke and Vader, Vader stands motionless and telekinetically throws boxes at Luke). 

And as far as a summoning spell goes (to take away a ring or lightsaber), those have been foiled by a tight grip. 

Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
New User
mrguy
0 Kudos

Hmmm... What should I choose from? A cheesy looking guy with shriveled face and an atm for a chest plate?  A so called "villain" that has fish gills for a nose and gets destroyed by a teenager? OR a Maia or in better words a DEMI GOD (immortal) who has armies of millions of orcs, Uruk-hai, 9 faithful Naz-Gul servants that each ride a huge dragon like creature called a fellbeast and one of them (the Witch King of Angmar) with a flame sword and a flail the size of a boulder, A Maia who betrayed the gods and then created another army of 10,000 Uruk-Hai orcs and much more armies. The villain is also almost 11 feet tall with a mace over 6 feet long that can send enemies flying through the air like catapult tajectiles with a single swing of it, also a ring which enhances his power to make him even stronger. A set of armor of absolute epic proportions and a whole realm fit to describe what hell might have really looked like. Hmmm... I'm leaning more on the third option.

New User
fractalfan
0 Kudos

However, he did cause the entire Numenorean civilization to be destroyed, after he corrupted thier minds and made them all his slaves, worshipping Morgoth in his dark temple.  He willingly was swallowed up by the ocean.  And I think he defeated Fingon in the song contest.  That might be someone else though.  He lost to Luthien.

New User
fractalfan
0 Kudos

All the demigods power isnt tied up in the little ring, only some.  Plus he cant be killed while the ring survives.

New User
fractalfan

Sauron isnt the actual floating eye, he only controls it.  He has a body of his own and is bound to its form after the destruction of Numeanor. The eye is a representation of Sauron's will, not Sauron himself.

New User
fractalfan
0 Kudos

I totally agree.  The nazgul would drive everyone around him insane with terror and there would be no contest.  By the way the Oliphants real name is "Mumakil"

New User
fractalfan
0 Kudos

He had also nearly killed that chick (remember how he was strangling her) and his resulting explosion from his death nearly killed both the little person and the chick.

New User
fractalfan
0 Kudos

Sauron however is a Maiar and so spells dont affect him.  He is a lesser god according to Tolkien's The Silmarillion.  And would the ring respond to the spell?  If its on Saurons hand would it leave it?

New User
fractalfan
0 Kudos

Wrong race.  Ainur are men, Maiar are gods.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(shaking head) Both of you go read the

The Silmarillion  again.

Eru the one - god

created Ainur the holy ones - thoughts given eternal life, the great spritits

whose voices sang to please Eru

their comflicting serch for individual supremacy within the harmony of the great song

the battle of sound inspired Eru to create Ea (two dots over the a) the world which men called Arda the earth

Some of the Ainur went down to the newly created world and were known as the Powers of Arda which men took to be gods

Elves divided the Ainur into the Valar

which included Manwe, Varda, Ulmo, Nienna, Aule, Yavanna, Orome, Vana, Mandos, Este, Tulkas, Nessa, and Melkor (known later as Morgoth the Dark Enemy)

And the Maiar many but those known are

Eonwe, Ilmare, Osse, Unen, Melian, Osse, Uinen, Melian, Arien, Tilion, Sauron, Gothmog (lord of the Balrogs), Radagast, Curunir (Saruman), Olorin (Gandalf), Thuringwthil (Vampire sire), Ungoliant (Spider sire), Draugluin (werewolf sire), Goldberry the river daughter, and Iarwain Ben-adar (Tom Bombadil)

(deep breath)

We had a LONG discussion of this way back in the old Tolkien board. It's probably still archived on here somewhere. Do a search if you want.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

(shaking head) Both of you go read the

The Silmarillion  again.

We had a LONG discussion of this way back in the old Tolkien board. It's probably still archived on here somewhere. Do a search if you want.

Tig:

Great call here.... I know quite a few of the Tolkien threads were moved over here. Check out pages 14, 15 and 18 for a bunch of miscellaneous Tolkien topics!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky