Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
ParkerS17

Re: Sauron vs. Darth Vader vs. Voldemort- who would win?

I think it would go down like this.  Voldemort would die first because honestly, if he can't kill a few 17 year olds, what chance does he have against two other supervillians?  Darth Vader fighting Sauron would be an epic battle, but Sauron would eventually win because he's just pure evil while Vader still has at least a fragment of a conscience.

Hands, like secrets, are the hardest thing to keep from you
Lines and phrases, like knives, your words can cut me through
Dismantle me down (repair) you dismantle me, you dismantle me
New User
JasonAnder

He can't kill Harry(since hes the 'Chosen One'), he can kill everyone else(maybe not Dumbledore).

None of you are even giving Voldemort a chance. He can basically do everything Sauron and Darth Vader does with his magic. He's a really skilled duelist(possibly the best), and can fly. He can control anything(elements, minds, human will), and can teleport. He also has his Horcruxes.

Also Voldemort isn't really Human, more like a twisted soul/demon type thing.

TBH, they are all basically equal, with each having advantages and disadvantages. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Dude, Sauron's an eye! One poke and bob's your uncle :smileyhappy:.

I guess Voldy and Vader seem evenly matched but one Force choke and no more spells :smileytongue:. Besides, Vader's got mad lightsaber skillz. A surgical instrument that can cut and cauterize at the same time? Fuggedaboudit :smileyhappy:. I find your lack of faith disturbing .... *cackle*:smileyvery-happy:

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Wow old thread. (chuckle) Ok I'll quote my own post from over 2 years ago.

Darth Vader- Cyborg human with Jedi mojo

Vodemort- Wizard human

Sauron- Maiar (rough equivalent to those who haven't read the Similarion, Demigod)

Hmm to jazzed humans go up against a demigod. I'm betting on the Maiar.

New User
jageer
0 Kudos

Interesting thread! googled for a Comp assignment (WTF kinda Prof. assigns this for an ESSAY?!)  Not a whole Epic series Nerd but I have read the books and seen the movies.  Personally I think that Vader would probably kick major tail against the both of them.  He has Telekinesis and the TK Choke, those poor idiots wouldnt never know what hit them... JMHO

]J.G.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya

jageer wrote:

Interesting thread! googled for a Comp assignment (WTF kinda Prof. assigns this for an ESSAY?!)  Not a whole Epic series Nerd but I have read the books and seen the movies.  Personally I think that Vader would probably kick major tail against the both of them.  He has Telekinesis and the TK Choke, those poor idiots wouldnt never know what hit them... JMHO

]J.G.

Your prof. assigned you a comparative study of these 3 villians for an essay? What school is this? Hogwarts? Can I apply for Spring? :smileyvery-happy:

The cake is a lie.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Clippership14 wrote:

Is it official that Voldemort's out of the running? Or should we add to the equation apparating wizards?

And I assume the setting has to be Middle Earth because Sauron is stuck and can't exactly travel to modern Earth or Coruscant.

Message Edited by Clippership14 on 11-22-2008 09:19 AM

I wouldn't rule out Voldemort.  He was bested by Harry only because Harry had a more potent weapon (and protection) that neither Darth Vader nor Sauron would use -- love. 

Voldemort could always transfigure them into ants and just step on them if he had a mind to...  :smileyhappy: 

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Wow old thread. (chuckle) Ok I'll quote my own post from over 2 years ago.

Darth Vader- Cyborg human with Jedi mojo

Vodemort- Wizard human

Sauron- Maiar (rough equivalent to those who haven't read the Similarion, Demigod)

Hmm to jazzed humans go up against a demigod. I'm betting on the Maiar.

I will place my bet right with you.

On the Vader vs Voldemort, Voldemort is tops.  One "Accio" Helmet and Vader is out.  An ickle firsty could do it! 

dalnewt
0 Kudos

OK, to liven up this thread lets line up Sauron, (the definitive leader in this villain contest), against, hmmm, lets say Lucifer.

demigod v. fallen angel (the brightest fallen star)

Or, to really spice it up, how about:

Sauron vs. Lillith

I'm betting on Lillith. She can't stand overbearing males, and Suaron has the ring as his Achilles heel. She'd figure it out fast enough.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

After we come with a winner from those two how about they match up with winner take all.  I think that I would put my money on Lillith.  She may not have brute strength but she has a lot more going for her that we women just don't get credit for.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Following the battle that destroyed his body, the chief reason that Sauron wasn't snuffed for good, (by means of casting the ring into Mt. Doom), was due to the covetous glamour cast by the ring. But, I don't think either Lucifer, (who's a fallen angel involved in an ongoing struggle for the souls of men), or Lillith, (who's the essence of spite and hateful toward any overbearing male), would be susceptible to it. Lucifer would fly to Mr. Doom and cast the ring in just to be rid of the nuisance of Sauron, and Lillith would somehow get there and cast the ring into the volcano just for the pleasure of seeing Sauron implode.     

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:
...or Lillith, (who's the essence of spite and hateful toward any overbearing male), ...

And suddenly, the character from Frasier makes perfect sense :smileyvery-happy:

The cake is a lie.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Following the battle that destroyed his body, the chief reason that Sauron wasn't snuffed for good, (by means of casting the ring into Mt. Doom), was due to the covetous glamour cast by the ring. But, I don't think either Lucifer, (who's a fallen angel involved in an ongoing struggle for the souls of men), or Lillith, (who's the essence of spite and hateful toward any overbearing male), would be susceptible to it. Lucifer would fly to Mr. Doom and cast the ring in just to be rid of the nuisance of Sauron, and Lillith would somehow get there and cast the ring into the volcano just for the pleasure of seeing Sauron implode.     

Well now this discussion has gone a little wonky.

Hard to classify Lucifer since the modern myth is an amalgamation from 4 different religions and 6 different myths.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You're probably right. But, if we're talking literary villains, then Lucifer qualifies. 

TiggerBear

dalnewt wrote:

You're probably right. But, if we're talking literary villains, then Lucifer qualifies. 

(chuckle) Now why do I feel like adding Cthulhu to the wrestling match now? :smileywink:

New User
Spike72
0 Kudos

I know this is an extremely old thread but i had to comment... i feel that people are not looking at any of them with their extreme power...

Sauron: Spawn of the Devil (in a sense), he is powerful with or without the ring, the ring just holds a little more power, because he was powerful before the creation of the ring, and it took forever for them to kill him, he can't be manipulated because he lacks the only thing possible for manipulation... a soul

Voldemort: He still has magic even without his wand but not much, he has a soul, it did take forever to kill him, and he has 7 horcruxes, so in order for any of them to win Harry HAS to be brought into this

Vader: He has a soul, his life is supported by a breathing tank, he has the force, he has a lightsaber

so Vader is the weakest here, and Sauron and Voldemort will go head to head with this... so Sauron sends out Sauroman to look for the horcruxes while Sauron weakens Voldemort's army, (let's say Sauron is in human form to even things out) magic is a bit useless on Sauron so Voldemort's "Avada Kadavra" would be pointless, and we also have to think about the setting of this, MiddleEarth's Mordor? Modern Day Britain?

someone else can come in here if they want to

Johnny Grim: Demon Slayer, Lycanthrope, and hero
Contributor
Crookedstar
0 Kudos

Sauron would lose first, then Darth Vader, and voldemort would totally win!

New User
Zantetsuken1
0 Kudos

Hmm...  This is probably how it would go down:

1.  They each gather an army of stormtroopers, orcs, and death eaters

2.  Massive battle.

3.  More than likely, Vader would get killed, but would bring several Nazgul and death-eaters with him.

4.  It would end up as Sauron vs. Voldemort.

In that battle, I would have to go with Sauron, simply because of Voldemort's own magic.  Voldy would probably use his magic to take Sauron's ring, hoping to destroy it, but would be corrupted by it and become an unwilling servant of Sauron.

New User
cardinalblitz
0 Kudos

Hi, you speak about Sauron and his forces of Mordor in this discussion.  While Sauron does have a powerful army, his forces do not compare to Darth Vaders.  Vader is head of a military with trillions of soldiers, millions of storms troopers, and billions of space craft.  Who really has the better force?

New User
cardinalblitz
0 Kudos

Sauron a demigod vs Voldemort the greatest Dark Wizard vs Darth Vader Dark lord of the Sith.  A titanic clash of gods.  Voldemort and Sauron are technically immortal, and Darth Vader has the force, an omnipotent energy that is everywhere.  This is a tough one, but Vader can choke people from across the galaxy.