Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
onalake1
0 Kudos

SciFi Reader - Reborn and Needs Help!

After about 20 years of not reading any SciFi but reading mostly Fantasy, I decided to get back in and read some good SciFi but not sure what would be some good books that others would recommend. I would like a good action based story with some good hard SciFi elements.

I bought The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and so far I like it a lot. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of this book or any book with a decent amount of action, good story and thought provoking SciFi elements?

Thanks,
Tom.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: SciFi Reader - Reborn and Needs Help!

Old school, or new? What have you read long ago?
I don't want to drown you in stuff you've read before.
Contributor
onalake1
0 Kudos

I would like more new school books as I have read some of the classics a long time ago like Dune and Starship Troopers. If you could just give me a few ideas that would be great! You don't have to give me a long list. Just something to get me started back in this great genre again.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Alright here's a good starter Spider Robinson. He writes humor books, but his straight scifi has a wonderful unadulterated purity. A little on the lightside.

Ques would you prefer dark stuff, space, time travel, alien societies?
A lot of the newer stuff is Star Wars, Star Trek, ect .. spins; would you prefer more independent authors?
Contributor
onalake1
0 Kudos

Ques would you prefer dark stuff, space, time travel, alien societies?

I would prefer them in this order rank highest to lowest:

Space
Alien Societies
Time Travel
Dark Stuff

I will look at Spider Robinson books and see what looks appealing. Thanks for giving me some direction in which to look.
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

How about some Honor Harrington? It's a series by David Weber. Probably better considered space opera rather than sci-fi, but you've got the important elements: flying through space and shooting things. First book is On Basilisk Station.
Frequent Contributor
Skyler97
0 Kudos

If you liked "Dune" try Brian Herbert's "House Atreides" a prequel.

If you like the "Forever War"  I'd suggest reading Jerry Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion series which are a prequel to Pournelle and Larry Niven's "The Mote in God's Eye".

I'd also reccomend Honor Herrington.
Contributor
onalake1
0 Kudos

The Honor Harrington series sounds like something I would be very interested in readling. I'll get the first book of the series. Thanks!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

You might also try Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald Mageworlds series. New space swashbucklers, highly enjoyable.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Here's a good sci-fi book:  Spin by Robert Charles Wilson(the sequel is called Axis).  Spin's and Axis' sub-genre is somewhere in between Space, Dark Stuff and Alien Societies.
  Also try Heartlight by T. A. Barron:  it's somehere between Dark Stuff and Space sub-genres.

onalake1 wrote:
After about 20 years of not reading any SciFi but reading mostly Fantasy, I decided to get back in and read some good SciFi but not sure what would be some good books that others would recommend. I would like a good action based story with some good hard SciFi elements.

I bought The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and so far I like it a lot. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of this book or any book with a decent amount of action, good story and thought provoking SciFi elements?

Thanks,
Tom.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
New User
strider_90
0 Kudos

must check out Dan Simmons' Hyperion series  - prob in my top 5 series of all time

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Hi there!   My first suggestion is old school, but my son loves them too.  Robert Heinlein wrote great space stories that include hard sf (he was an engineer)  with a touch of quirky humor.    A newer name that has a similar style is Allan Steele.   Someone else mentioned Jerry Pournelle; one of my favorite sf books is an alt future history, " Fallen Angels".    Anne McCaffrey has  a 20 + series on the planet Pern.  she starts with space pioneers that lose the ability to contact Earth; they have to find a way to live and adapt to their new planet without any of the help they expected to have.  There is space travel, genetics, bad weather conditions, and personalities under pressure to deal with.   Great stuff!  Currently I am reading a wonderful series from S.M. Sterling; alternative history set in today's world with an enviromental basis.   There is a blinding flash of light that fades to darkness.  Electricity will not work anymore, car engines will not run, and explosives will not explode anymore.  It is set in the Pacific Northwest ; in the beginning it focuses on a couple groups of people, then expands to includes others.   History professors, SCA  enthusiasts, and RenFaire craftspersons are the new heroes...along with farmers, hunters, and soldiers.    The titles are "Dies The Fire", "The Protector's War", and " A Meeting at Corvallis".   I hope you find something here you like! 
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Here's a couple more titles:
  • Interworld by Neil Gaiman.  Interdimensional travel, plenty of aliens (who aren't actually called aliens in the book), alternate realities, and a good plot.  It's in paperback.
  • The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.   I love Ray Bradbury...
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Deb1789
0 Kudos

You might try C. S. Friedman,  In Conquest Born is probably among my favorites, and This Alien Shore, is also fantasic.

In Conquest-  built around a never ending war fought by two races as different as night and day.

Alien shore- Strange and psycological, has interesting, technically-not-alien societies.

I don't suffer from Insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.