Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Star Wars

[ Edited ]
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away . . .

And thus begins one of the largest Science Fiction franchises in the history of the genre. And of course it didn't stop at the movies, scores of novels have been written within the galaxy.

• What series have you enjoyed? Why? What series do you feel don't fit within the galaxy? Why?
  • What characters not included in the movies do you feel fit best within the galaxy? Why?
  • Do you enjoy the movies or the books more? Why?
  • How do you feel about other authors playing in a 'sandbox' someone else created? How do different ideas of one character effect your idea of them? If you read one version, does it make another feel 'wrong'? Can you reconcile that for the sake of the novel?
  • What about when a new movie negates an old novel? Which do you feel is more 'correct'? Why?

These are only suggested questions, please feel free to add your own thoughts or questions about Star Wars here. [Warning: This is a forum for the novels, not the movies unless it is in discussion of the novels.]

Message Edited by lady_hockey on 06-05-200710:13 PM

~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
New User
BelmontGuy06

Re: Star Wars

I am really enjoying the Legacy of the Force series.

However, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction is, in my opinion, the best Star Wars novel written to date (and have read all but like 6 of them). It is a very different novel in that it deals heavily with philosophy. I have read it multiple times because of this.
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

What kind of philosophy? And how does it fit within the Star Wars world?
Contributor
herbie53
0 Kudos

I haven't read a new Star Wars novel in a few years but since I have loved the Star Wars galaxy since I was five, thought this would be a good place to start book discussions.

I really enjoyed the short story anthologies about the characters in the Mos Eisley Cantina and Jabba's Palace. I enjoyed those because since the stories dealt with what I would call "extras" from the movies the stories could be very different and did not conflict at all with the films. I had fun reading the stories.
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

herbie53 wrote:
I haven't read a new Star Wars novel in a few years but since I have loved the Star Wars galaxy since I was five, thought this would be a good place to start book discussions.

I really enjoyed the short story anthologies about the characters in the Mos Eisley Cantina and Jabba's Palace. I enjoyed those because since the stories dealt with what I would call "extras" from the movies the stories could be very different and did not conflict at all with the films. I had fun reading the stories.

I liked those too, especially because when you're watching the movies you'll catch sight of a set dressing character and you'll know their backstory. It always makes me smile.

If you're looking to get back into Star Wars novels, the one I recommend is The Paradise Snare. It's the first in the Han Solo Trilogy, and tells his backstory. It's not terribly deep, but it's a fun read and I'm sure once you read the first one, you'll read the other two.
New User
Bucci
0 Kudos

Well I liked "The Hutt Gambit" & "Rebel Dawn" in the Han Solo triligy.

But I loved the New Jedi Order Era. My favorite set of books in Star Wars is the Force Heretic triligy. I loved the last two but they all were great. It relives what happened at Bakura and the search for Zanoma Skeot, and sets the series up for the ending of an era.

The Expantion of that era came in the form of the Dark Nest series. I liked what happened there but I think it ruined a good thing. I made Jacen worce and threw him into a horrible emotional downward spiral. I liked the story but I didnt like how the repracussions for the Star Wars Galaxy.

Then the Legacy Era started, and my obsession with Jacen's was beaten down again. I loved his outlook on life and The Force. The ability to adapt in any situation. Jacen is forced to become the bad guy. He says he is doing it for the good of the Galaxy but I think something is going on. I havent read the latest one but I think that Jacen was tricked. I believe Lumya knew that she wouldnt cut it as a Sith Lord. She, like any other Sith, wanted the Galaxy to fall under there rule. We have seen Jacen begin to like and eventualy crave power. I believe that Lumya predicted this. I believe that she wanted Jacen to become power hungry and, like his grandfather, turn to the proverbal "Darkside". Now the idea of a Dark and Light side was abolished and replaced with the idea of light and dark action. I think Lumya wants Jacen to become the evil Sith Loard the Emperor was. As we have seen, through the EU (Expanded Universe) comics and other in places like games, the Sith were BAD. Very, Very bad. I think she wants Jacen to be that evil sith loard and is masking it by this "You are the only one who can save the Galaxy" firfrick (Huttese: Posin). I want to think that it will turn out ok but in reality it most likely wont.

But I have babled enough for now. I want to know what others think. I know I bombarded you like Darth Malack's fleet of Star Destroyers destroying Taris but I wanted to give enough back ground for the casual reader which, as you can tell, I'm not. So thank you if you have read all this. It makes me feel like all this knolage isn't useless.
"In every revolution there is a man with a vision." ~Capt. James T. Kirk
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

For my favorites I'll go with an older set and say I love the Thrawn trilogy. It's the first really great epic following the original trilogy. You've got the continuation of the characters from the original series, plus great villains in Thrawn and C'Baoth, plus the really beginning of the development of Mara Jade. Thrawn tends to make the series by himself with his overconfidence and strategy in my book and I've read these books 7-8 times. C'baoth also gives us some insight into how the old Jedi acted even if he is insane. Zahn did a wonderful job with all 3 books and while his later work in the series were good they tended to try and build on the mystique of these books and it never seemed to work out for me.
New User
Bucci
0 Kudos

The thrawn set was good but it ended to quickly. It was book one, two, three, done. Many other series had many triligys and such inside the larger series/era.
"In every revolution there is a man with a vision." ~Capt. James T. Kirk
Contributor
herbie53
0 Kudos

I liked the Thrawn series also. Now that someone mentioned it. When I get to the library, I'm going to pick up a Star Wars book, I miss the Star Wars world!
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

herbie53 wrote:
I liked the Thrawn series also. Now that someone mentioned it. When I get to the library, I'm going to pick up a Star Wars book, I miss the Star Wars world!

Herbie if you haven't read it yet you might try out Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. It's the back story on Thrawn and how he came to join the empire. It's an interesting story, though I wouldn't hold it up to the other 3 books.

As for the Thrawn series coming to such a conclusive end that's one of the things I liked about it. If I'm not mistaken "Heir to the Empire" was the first book George Lucas allowed to be released after all those years. The story was more a tester to see what the market would be for the Star WArs extended series and when that 3 story arc did so well they started branching out more. I really think a lot of the basis for the expanded world we're dealing with now, while it's first seeds were sewn by Zahn, was begun with Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy.
Frequent Contributor
zman1980
0 Kudos

My favorite series still is the X-Wing Books. I loved these because the classic characters didn't play a major role in them. These were also the first EU books that I read. Wedge, and Corron are still 2 of my favorite characters. Next would be the New Jedi Order Books, loved the Vong. All the sudden here is a whole race that rival the Jedi but don't have any kind of for lack of better word magic ability.
Contributor
Lady_Linguist
0 Kudos

I recently rewatched Revenge of the Sith, thanks HBO. *shudders* My first time since seeing it in the theatre actually and it left me craving some more political Star Wars fiction, if such a thing exists. Does anyone know of books dealing with the fall of the Old Republic and the creation of the Empire? Or books dealing with the early Empire in a way that's actually decent? I don't care if it contrasts with the new movie canon either.

Thank you kindly.
Contributor
Szat
0 Kudos

Here is a list of all the Star Wars books. I figured it would help people out. Every book on the list has a link to its own page that describes the book as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books
Contributor
Tamec
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:

herbie53 wrote:

Herbie if you haven't read it yet you might try out Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. It's the back story on Thrawn and how he came to join the empire. It's an interesting story, though I wouldn't hold it up to the other 3 books.

As for the Thrawn series coming to such a conclusive end that's one of the things I liked about it. If I'm not mistaken "Heir to the Empire" was the first book George Lucas allowed to be released after all those years. The story was more a tester to see what the market would be for the Star WArs extended series and when that 3 story arc did so well they started branching out more. I really think a lot of the basis for the expanded world we're dealing with now, while it's first seeds were sewn by Zahn, was begun with Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy.

I love all the books that came out around the time of the Zahn trilogy. It was as if everyone was collaborating and building off each other even the Dark Empire comics. I swear every time I see the "hand" scene being played, whether in the movie or on the History Channel I think of "The Last Command."
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." -Harry Dresden
Contributor
Szat
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and I thought it was a fantastic book. Very interesting and refreshing story that follows a miner named Dessel on his path to becoming a Sith Lord. This book is also filled with unique and complex characters that made reading it even more enjoyable.
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Szat wrote:
Here is a list of all the Star Wars books. I figured it would help people out. Every book on the list has a link to its own page that describes the book as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

Great link! Thanks for posting it!
New User
Zekk
0 Kudos

I'm really involved with Legacy of the force. Just finished Sacrificed. It moved me. I think that the series, in a lot of ways, goes back to when the whole thing began. The force, good and evil, right and wrong. Except that in Legacy its not as black and white, Like life its self, there are many more gray areas. It makes for some good drama.
I've always been a fan of sci-fi, I think mostly because its less confining. Since the stories take place on other worlds & other times, authors could make there worlds as wild and strange as their imaginations could allow. Having said that, in order to get people to read it , the stories still have to connect with the reader. Star Wars does this very well, and Legacy even more so.
Jedi Zekk
Contributor
tkillham
0 Kudos

My favorite Star Wars author is Timothy Zahn. The Heir to the Empire trilogy was a great series. Maybe I just got into that series because it was the first new Star Wars storyline in a while. Now that more books have been put out, I find it harder to get into them.

I think that the Star Wars books were planned out pretty well. Most of the books that I have read and seen have dealt with the time frame after the first 3 (episodes 4-6) movies, so there wasn't much chance of conflict with the newer movies.

I prefer books over movies. In many ways, I think that Zahn's books are more memorable than the movies.
Contributor
miah
0 Kudos

Well I feel really stupid I only thought that Star Wars did not consist of that many books thats really cool! Which one should I start with and how many books are there.
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

so what is the first book i should read if i want to start from the beginning?
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"