Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Stargate SGU Premiere

[ Edited ]

I wasn't too impressed with this latest episode.  Normally I love Stargate time travel eps but this one had way too much over acting and drama with it, while the writers had always in the past injected a lot of humor into them.  This one was really really dark.

Like Januss, I think the writers left the ending as it was because the real ending (what happened after the last message was received) was predictable.  Of course, everyone was saved. 

I'm sort of wondering if the only "humor" we are going to see in this show will be remarks about old movies. 

It's getting a bit old already. 

It's time that they lightened up, I think.  I need the comic relief.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

New episode -- I've lost track of which number this is.   Yet more drama, very little Sci-fi.   Seems there is a rather nasty side effect of stone-travel. 

I have three questions from this episode:

1.  Where did the new eyeglasses for Rush come from?  We see him accepting them, trying them on, and saying that they are nice.  I missed the first five minutes -- was the answer in there?

2.  Eli made another one of his old movie jokes, and I recognized the words, but can't remember the movie -- the comment was "dogs and cats living together!" -- Bill Murray?  Ghostbusters?

3.  How is the SGC able to keep track of whose turn it is to travel in by stone?  It's not like someone on the ship could make a list and send it to them, or vice versa. 

Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

I think those were HIS glasses that happened to break. I think. I don't know really. It wasn't explained in the beginning-although one tidbit that is funny is the Asian girl who works with Rush, whom TJ asks how she's dealing with stress in her Psych. Eval. She says she deals with it by reading: which is a lie. In the beginning, she's sleeping with a soldier with a Mustache- we haven't seen him prior to this episode- and in the end she's sleeping with the other Sergeant (the one whom Telford doesn't like; the gruff/cool/I'm gonna get it done guy). Anywho-I think it's pretty darn funny because you can totally tell she's evading the question when TJ asks her. I didn't even realize it was her-I thought it was Chloe at first! My fiancé is the one who pointed it out to me! And it's a pretty normal reaction-searching out for human contact. *shrug*.

On a liberal note, I'm happy that they included lesbian interactions on TV without over sexualizing it. I mean, they did a little bit, but nothing like most TV shows do. 

And I think they're the ones whom are keeping track of whose turn it is. Obviously, SGC can't keep track of them because Young is able to go and beat the crap out of Telford (who has it coming).

I have to say, as much as I miss the good old light hearted nature of the previous SG series', I like this newer and grittier one. I especially liked Eli's scene last week when he was saying goodbye to Chloe. You'd never see that on a previous show. Not that dramatic.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

With all the heterosexual stuff going on on the ship, I'm wondering if any of them are thinking about the necessity of birth control...  surely they didn't have one of those crates filled with BC pills and condoms.  :smileyhappy:  Are we gong to see a bunch of pregnancies next?

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Well I caught up on this series over the weekend.

I had tried to watch an episode here and there, but it wasn't holding my interest.

I did better watching episode 4 and forward all in one day. It seemed to flow a lot better.

Or maybe I just needed to see things again.

I had a few questions that someone here at work answered for me today, I had just missed a couple points.

Overall I like the series. But I think it seemed to work better for me to watch a few episodes at a time.

I was just getting confused with the back and forth to Earth stuff and then losing interest.

Maybe now that I have the characters down and some of the show plot, it will be better for me.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

The back and forth stuff becomes extra confusing when every five minutes you have to sit through six commercials as well.  I think the show might be better in DVD format.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

For me the DVD would work better, at least at this point in the series.

Watching it On Demand on Comcast helped cut down on the commercials.

Psychee wrote:

The back and forth stuff becomes extra confusing when every five minutes you have to sit through six commercials as well.  I think the show might be better in DVD format.

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

I was extremely disappointed in this show until I started recording it for later viewing. That let's me watch the sf / fx and fast-forward through all the soap opera garbage. It also means a one-hour show takes less than 15 minutes to watch.

I'm still disappointed, mostly because there's no logic -- the science parts are inane (if one backpack of soda cured all their CO2 problems, then anyone with a roll of Tums could have kept them going for a week; how did one container of creepycrawlies account for the loss of thousands of liters of water?; etc. etc. etc.), but at least the graphics are usually up to SG-1 standards..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

Uhmm...if you watched the show then it wouldn't be so illogical. Rather, it'd make a bit more sense. As far as different formats, I find watching it via iTunes to be the best. It's HD(ish, I don't believe it's a full 1080 but I might be wrong), no commercials, and we can go back if we missed something. 

Seeing as how the alien whirlwind was indeed an alien, I'm not sold on how it couldn't be possible for it to absorb/use/drink/whatever you want to call it the water. I'm not up to date on my alien 101 though...

In chemical reactions, a little bit can sometimes go a loooooong way. Especially with scrubber machines. I mean, look at the device itself, it's TINY compared to the entire ship. If you can believe that that sized machine can handle all the air in the entire machine, why not believe that fixing a part of it with a good sized amount of reagent would work?

The whole point of Science Fiction is to bend or break the rules of "reality" as we know it. Whether it's through advanced physics, or pure imagination, it's supposed to make you think; "Huh, that's crazy but I wonder what it would be like if it were real."

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

Januss331 wrote:

Seeing as how the alien whirlwind was indeed an alien, I'm not sold on how it couldn't be possible for it to absorb/use/drink/whatever you want to call it the water. I'm not up to date on my alien 101 though...

The whole point of Science Fiction is to bend or break the rules of "reality" as we know it. Whether it's through advanced physics, or pure imagination, it's supposed to make you think; "Huh, that's crazy but I wonder what it would be like if it were real."

If it 'absorbed/drank' 4000 liters of water, they'd still have it in their bodies, and two people couldn't have picked up a container holding all of them.

If it 'used' the water in some way, it would have been recycled once it left their body (the ship is apparently good at that). 

Good science fiction exploits "there's nothing to say this is actually impossible, so no matter how far-fetched, let's assume we can do it."

Bad sci-fi (like SGU) ignores basic junior-high-school-level math and physics and the most elementary logic.

Good sf makes you think.

Bad sci-fi just rots your brain.

But since the graphics are cool and it keeps the SG franchise going, it's better than nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Capuchin wrote, in part:

If it 'used' the water in some way, it would have been recycled once it left their body (the ship is apparently good at that).

But aren't you assuming, in the above, that the swarm is living entirely within our 3 dimensional space? 

And aren't you further assuming that the ship recycles any urine or moisture or hydrogen and oxygen components anywhere into drinkable water again?

I don't think you can really make those assumptions based upon what little we know about the swarm and the ship. 

Still, though, I generally agree with the thought that there are a lot of holes in the science in SGU -- I was bothered myself by what I saw in the pilot episode.   This show is more about human drama and less about sci-fi concepts.

Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

Great googly moogly...this last one was GREAT!! Although I was apprehensive about how the SG series is taking a more mature, serious tone, I'm really appreciating it now! I want to know what was on the rest of the footage, if it was even real, OR if Young told Eli to "delete" it and had it come back up when he looked carefully just so he could get rid of Rush and the soldier! 2 birds, one stone!

Craziness...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, this most recent episode was a good one.  Will we ever see Rush again?  He was left with a ship he couldn't get in and a stargate to who knows where?   Will it be enough to survive?  Will he become an enemy they have to deal with later on? 

Meanwhile, the ship is left without someone who really knows how ancient stuff works -- any chance we could get Rodney back for a few eps?  :smileyhappy:  I keep hoping for some comic relief.

Why did Young have Eli delete the suicide scene from the hard drive?  Was it just because it was so horrid or that he was afraid that depressed others might watch it and do the same? 

And what will happen to the crewman who got his head impaled by the chair?  Is there retrievable knowledge there?  If someone from earth exchanged places with him for a bit, via the stones, would he be able to communicate? 

Lots of questions!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I've answered one of my own questions -- we will definitely see Rush again-- he's scheduled for 20 episodes for the year -- so we'll see him some time soon.

Now we just have to know when the next ep will air!  Sometime in 2010...  January?  March?

Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, what?! They're going on that stupid break thing? GAH!

I liked it when everyone was on the writer's strike, Atlantis was the one show of mine that I watch that kept chugging along...oh well.

They have to keep Rush-it's too good of a story line to let go of that easily. ALthough, I love your description of the guy who gets his head impaled...I actually laughed at that! I completely forgot and then I just had this funny visual...

I too am dying to know why Young had it deleted...it really makes me feel like he set Rush up..

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I checked over at Gatecon's forum to see what the fans had to say about the episode...  Man, they are really hating Young right now. 

Frankly, after Rush told him that they would be enemies forever, I didn't have any problems at all with Young leaving Rush on the planet after he beat him up.     But the young fans are now calling him a murderer. 

How do you feel about the situation?

Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

Umm, they're young and naive. Someone tells you they will do everything they can do to stop you, get in your way, sabotage you. Normally, you'd just walk away from the situation. But when you're in charge of EVERYONE's life on that ship...what are you supposed to do? Let him risk everyone's life except his own? He wouldn't get into the chair himself, but he's more than willing to manipulate other people into doing it for him...

Yeah, I have no objection to what he did.

Contributor
bmeadows
0 Kudos

I, too, feel no objection for what Young did. As smarty-pantsy and arrogant and a bunch of other names I shall not mention, as Rush has been, it was bound for something like this to happen. I also wasn't too surprised that Rush stashed the gun in Young's room. Young was the one guy who was really holding Rush back from crazy with his curiosity.

I don't believe this is the end of Rush, though. As someone stated earlier, he is too important of a character for them to eliminate, especially this early in the series. He was stranded on the planet, but the planet had the alien space-ship. Maybe he'll figure out to get that sucker to work and we'll being seeing them bumping into each other in the future. I don't know how, but knowing how the Stargate series' works, that ship will come into play at some point. Only makes logical sense that the one person capable of making it work got stranded with it.

B.Meadows