Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DebM
0 Kudos

Terry Brooks-Bearer of the Black Staff

Years ago I read many Terry Brooks-(I think 6 in the Shanarra series) and I know he has written several more since then-do I need to read them in order for them to make sense or can I just go ahead and read his latest one-Bearer of the Black Staff?

Thanks!

Deb

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Terry Brooks-Bearer of the Black Staff

DebM wrote:

Years ago I read many Terry Brooks-(I think 6 in the Shanarra series) and I know he has written several more since then-do I need to read them in order for them to make sense or can I just go ahead and read his latest one-Bearer of the Black Staff?

Thanks!

Deb

I'd say yes. I read them kinda out of order when I got the first 5 not knowing any better till years later. So if one can read them out of order and not notice....

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Re: Terry Brooks-Bearer of the Black Staff

I haven't started on Black Staff yet, but I recently finished the rest of the books in the Shannara series.  I'm sure you could read it without having read the others, but I would think you would gain a lot from having read the Word/Void and Genesis series first.

I guess a better way to say what I mean is this: if you have no intentions of reading the rest of the series, then I'm sure there would be no problems.  But, if you have plans to read the other series later, I would read them first, unless you don't mind spoilers.

If you go to Terry Brooks website (http://www.terrybrooks.net/works/readingorder.html), it lists a suggested reading order.  At the bottom it states pretty much what I said: you can read them out of order, but by reading them in order you may prevent spoilers.