Contributor
DebM
0 Kudos

Terry Brooks-Bearer of the Black Staff

Years ago I read many Terry Brooks-(I think 6 in the Shanarra series) and I know he has written several more since then-do I need to read them in order for them to make sense or can I just go ahead and read his latest one-Bearer of the Black Staff?

Thanks!

Deb

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Terry Brooks-Bearer of the Black Staff

DebM wrote:

Years ago I read many Terry Brooks-(I think 6 in the Shanarra series) and I know he has written several more since then-do I need to read them in order for them to make sense or can I just go ahead and read his latest one-Bearer of the Black Staff?

Thanks!

Deb

I'd say yes. I read them kinda out of order when I got the first 5 not knowing any better till years later. So if one can read them out of order and not notice....

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Re: Terry Brooks-Bearer of the Black Staff

I haven't started on Black Staff yet, but I recently finished the rest of the books in the Shannara series.  I'm sure you could read it without having read the others, but I would think you would gain a lot from having read the Word/Void and Genesis series first.

I guess a better way to say what I mean is this: if you have no intentions of reading the rest of the series, then I'm sure there would be no problems.  But, if you have plans to read the other series later, I would read them first, unless you don't mind spoilers.

If you go to Terry Brooks website (http://www.terrybrooks.net/works/readingorder.html), it lists a suggested reading order.  At the bottom it states pretty much what I said: you can read them out of order, but by reading them in order you may prevent spoilers.