Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: The Best Epic Fantasy Novels and Series of All Time

chironcentaur wrote:

Rhapsody was AMAZING!!! Elizabeth Haydon is a master story teller

Agreed.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
LEF
New User
LEF

This is my first contribution, and I enjoy reading what members post.  I noticed folks mention Tad Williams Otherland series often, but my absolute favorite of his is Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn, which began with The Dragonbone Chair (1988).  I was actually miffed at George RR Martin when he delayed A Dance with Dragons (yet again) to work on the HBO series.  I've been reading A Game of Thrones since the late 90's and am in the process of re-reading the first 4 books to catch up before I can even get to the new one.  It's a great story.  I'm also a big Robert Jordan fan, and was quite happy with Brandon Sanderson's treatment of the notes that were left behind.  (We'll miss you Mr. Jordan).

Of course the grand masters like JRRTolkien, Frank Herbert, & Isaac Asimov haven't been topped yet.:smileyhappy: 

Lydia

Contributor
Kurt149

Favorite fantasy:

Diskworld Series by Terry Prattchet

Favorite si fi:

The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov

Contributor
Christycard

[ Edited ]

And here I go, with my two cents:

I think we can all pretty much say Lord of the Rings. (incl The Hobbit.)

George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.  (He needs to write faster!!!)

CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series.  (Almost more politics than sci-fi...)

Frank Herbert's Dune series.  *LOVE*

Terry Pratchett Discworld.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels.

And what the heck, The Walking Dead graphic novel series. 

Edit:  Cannot believe I forgot Roger Zelazny!  Chronicles of Amber.

The Rage and Love, the story of my life...
New User
JMBaileyWickedness

Oh my God...this is so easy...Xanth series...Piers Anthony...nuf said. Here's to Wickedness...

Reader 2
Normskin1970

Here are a few more that I don't think have been mentioned:

Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes

The Prince of Nothing Series by R. Scott Bakker

The Coldfire Series by C.S. Friedman

The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Contributor
Sorka-Spellbound
0 Kudos

Thank you so much to everyone who posted in this topic! I've been looking for some new series to get into and it looks like I've found a gold mine! I'm bookmarking this thread!
New User
SkyMacMom

I'm new to this; however, I felt compelled to interject .... 

A newcomer, but an author that should be read - Peter Brett.  His Warded Man series is phenomenal.  The problem is having to wait for the next book!

New User
melanhead10

MUST READ INHERITANCE CYCLE BY CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

I don't know that I have read enough epic fantasy novels to state that these are among the "best of all time," but I really loved Victoria Strauss's duology, The Arm of the Stone and The Garden of the Stone.  I was fortunate enough to get the first one for free on my NOOK as part of Phoenix Press's monthly free eBook program, and I enjoyed it so much that I promptly bought the sequel.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Honestly if the question was phrased mentioning the Twilight Saga as it's key focus I wouldn't suggest most of the books above. 

That's not to say they aren't good, on the contrary they're so much more in depth and better written than the Twilight Saga that the average person asking after them wouldn't be able to handle these series. 

So using Meyers as a base point I'd suggest the following series so that whoever is asking actually has time to become a stronger fantasy reader rather than throwing them into the deep end of the pool after they've just stuck their foot in the kiddy pool.

Eragorn (and the rest of the series)

Narnia

Redwall

The Pretties (Scott Westerfield)

The Hobbit (but not the rest of LotR just yet)

Discworld

Percy Jackson (It's pretty much on the same level as Meyers writing and is a much stronger -fantasy- series than Twilight as Twilight is more a romance fantasy while Percy Jackson is fantasy in a modern setting)

Earthsea (though I personally didn't enjoy LeGuin's writting style)

No particular order to those suggestions, though I'd probably suggest working with the shorter works and building up to the longer series.

After reading some of those I'd start suggesting some of the series mentioned here.  Remember if someone is coming to you and is just starting to build a taste for fantasy it's not really a good idea to throw them the heavy hitters right off the bat.  Nurture their new found tastes and let them develop a stronger appreciation for fantasy.  They'll get more out of the heavy hitters that way and will thank you for it.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Many of my faves have been listed-

Narnia, LOTR, the Midkemia series by Feist.  Many others listed here are on my shelf and to read list!

One that was not mentioned that I enjoyed was the Circle series by Ted Dekker- Black, White, Red and Green.  A story of a man caught between two worlds.  The fate of both held in his hands.  When he slept he would enter the other world and sometimes bring people with him.....

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/black-ted-dekker/1006067043?ean=9781595547309

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/red-ted-dekker/1101708970?ean=9781595547316

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/white-ted-dekker/1100332280?ean=9781595547323

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/green-ted-dekker/1101187788?ean=9781595546821

Contributor
dare46

i have to say the meantion of the twilight series raises my hackles.  It was poorly written the heroine was a 2 D character and a bad example for young women everywhere. If you want a similar series try the house of night series.  the first 3 or 4 books were really good and then it went downhill.  but at least the heroine is more real.

MacMcK1957

[ Edited ]

It occurs to me that those who have read the Twilight books, and even Anne Rice, may not be familiar with (IMO) a much, much better vampire series, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's series about the reputed immortal alchemist, but according to her a vampire, le Comte de Saint Germain.

Reader 4
Sheri_B1975

Old topic but I'm new to the boards and figured I'd throw my opinions into the mix!

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings  

Classic!

A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set (A Song of Ice and Fire Series)  

I recently discovered this series myself and I love it! :smileyvery-happy:

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time Series #1)  

But my first love is, was and will forever be WoT series. I've worn through 3 copies of the first 10 books alone (No exaggerations! LOL)

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Sheri_B1975 wrote:

A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set (A Song of Ice and Fire Series)  

I recently discovered this series myself and I love it! :smileyvery-happy:

I have that set and recently read the first book.  I would also add it to the list!  The HBO series is great, too (just got the first season), and I was really excited to find that Diana Rigg will be in season 3!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I have that set and recently read the first book.  I would also add it to the list!  The HBO series is great, too (just got the first season), and I was really excited to find that Diana Rigg will be in season 3!

I was far less excited when I saw a recent picture of her.  My long-ago schoolboy crush has been... crushed.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I was far less excited when I saw a recent picture of her.  My long-ago schoolboy crush has been... crushed.

LOL!  Well, never having been a schoolboy myself, I can still find reasons to get excited.  She's still a very classy lady, and a great actress.  And I've seen her periodically since the catsuit days, like when she was hosting Mystery! on PBS some years back, so it's not a shock to see her age.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

She still looked pretty good in the Mystery days but even that was a few decades ago. I guess I didn't expect her to look 73 now that she's 73.
Reader
jigsawkid7

his

His Dark Materials Boxed Set  

Personally, my favorite fantasy series, as well as my favorite books of all time.