Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lime-G
0 Kudos

Re: The Best Epic Fantasy Novels and Series of All Time

emperatrix  recommended in this same thread is a great book series

The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop hope you see this
and maybe we can get back on topic
Contributor
Lime-G

ugh that was totally a confused looking reply my bad

i was replying to  emperatrix about finding female protagonist books someone in that same thread that emperatrix posted in recommended The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop

Correspondent
Trazy

Another great series with a female protagonist is the Guinevere Trilogy by Rosalind Miles.  It's my favorite rendition of the Arthurian legend.  It doesn't paint Christianity in a very good light, so it may not for everyone.

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910

Well, I've got my fantasy book recommendations for the next year. Amber, in particular, looks promising offhand; I'll have to give it a shot.

The Mirror Prince was truly excellent, and I don't think anyone's mentioned any of Violette Malan's works yet. Which is a shame; her later novels are also good. She's on my short list of favorite 21st-century authors.

Otherwise, I'd like to add my support to...

Runelords series by David Farland

Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Sovereign Stone trilogy by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. By far and away my favorite of their many series - it's a real gem (a ha... ha... ha... sorry).

New User
Tannar_Darr

I guess the first answer we are missing is Which TYPE of Fantasy? 

It's hardly fair to put urban fantasy in with epic fantasy etc...

So here are some thoughts. 

Frank Herbert's DUNE

Robert Jordans, Wheel of Time,

and potentially Brandon Sanderson's newest series are the best worldbuilding good characters, great story I've read.  This is really based on the world building, without suffering the others, story and characters. 

But great reads in Fantasy are:

Sanderson's  Mistborn is a good read.

The best trilogy I ever read was

Brent Weeks in his Night Angel Trilogy

The Hobbs trilogies are really well done stories.  But some people don't relate to her writing style as much because she's got some character depth and some like (less detailed) faster reading, writing.

Those people would like the Anne McCafrey dragon rider series, in all it's incarnations, and Raymond feist's books, any of them.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, any of them, are excellent reads.  They are both epic and strong Character developed books. 

I can go on and on and on.  But, I'll spare you. :smileyhappy:

New User
DCLW67
0 Kudos

I am in love with the Fablehave series by Brandon Mull.  I have read all 5 of the books three times.  I wish there was a book club for young reader Fantasy/Adventure readers.  I would love to be able to sit down in a group and discuss the books that I read.  I am an adult, but love these types of books.  If you know of any book clubs like this that are in Northern California Barnes and Nobles, let me know.

New User
GreenRiderFL
0 Kudos

I'd yank G.R.R. Martin's books for being so darned overly long that he never managed to finish the series which I truly wished I had known before I bought them all!

New User
GreenRiderFL
0 Kudos

Well you certainly would get my vote for all of those except one series and thats because I somehow missed it in my 60 years of reading!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi!  I wandered in here as I do from time to time, and checked out this thread, which I think I have read before.  I'm more of a mystery and classics reader, but I do sometimes like some science fiction, especially fantasy (and participated here when you read The Sword of Shannara, although I was a bit disappointed when the original plan to read the whole first trilogy was abandoned after the first book).

I can't really say that these are necessarily among the best of "all time", just the ones that I have read and enjoyed:

• Tolkien - Hobbit/Lord of the Rings.  Of course!
  • Terry Brooks - Shannara books.  I read the first eight books, through First King of Shannara, but haven't read the later ones.  I do have the Word and Void trilogy, but after reading the first one, I haven't continued (yet).  It just doesn't grab me like the earlier works do.
  • Anne McCaffrey - Pern books.  Although I find it difficult to follow when the books jump around chronologically.  Someday I would like to read them in the story's chronological order, rather than publishing order.
  • Probably much more sci-fi than fantasy, but I also liked Asimov's Foundation series, including the sequel Foundation's Edge, but I see he had written still more after that, which I haven't read.
  • Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.  I've read the first two Chronicles trilogies; I see he's written a further Covenant series within the past decade.
  • Stephen R. Donaldson - Mordant's Need.  I haven't seen anyone else mention this 2-book series yet, so that's my contribution.  I really loved these, probably even more than the Covenant books.

The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need Series #1)  

A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need Series #2)  

Fricka wrote:

Some of you have already mentioned TH White's The Once and Future King, and The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I will add to that Mary Stewart's Merlin/Arthurian trilogy(with a fourth book, The Wicked Day, added on later)Begin with The Crystal Cave.  Lloyd Alexander also has a wonderful YA epic series featuring The Black Cauldron. (Can you tell I'm a sucker for Arthurian legend and stories based on the same?) 

Hi, Fricka!  I also have The Mists of Avalon, and the Mary Stewart series.  When I got them, all four books were in the series, and there wasn't that much of a gap (not more than between the others) before The Wicked Day, but then she added a fifth about twelve years later, The Prince and the Pilgrim, which I have never read.  I love all that Arthurian stuff!  Although White's books The Once and Future King and The Book of Merlyn have been sitting on my TBR shelf for quite a while and I haven't gotten to them yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
KC_May
0 Kudos

I was particularly fond of the Mistborn series by Sanderson. I also liked GRRM's Song of Fire and Ice series, although I'm waiting for A Dance With Dragons to come out before I start A Feast for Crows. :smileytongue:

KC

The Kinshield Legacy - $2.99  ON SALE! $0.99 until 1/1/11

The Venom of Vipers  - $2.99

Reader 4
ownedby4cats

[ Edited ]

Ever since I was 12 and discovered a Wrinkle in Time, I've been a huge Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy fan.  Meg is a great female character (her brother does kind of take over in the later books). 

Anne McCafrey (almost anything she has ever written) has strong female characters.  I've enjoyed the Talent series, the Crystal Singer series as well as all the PERN books.

I also enjoyed the entire Black Jewels series (not just the trilogy - I find myself re-reading "The Shalador Queen" again and again).

Marion Zinmmer Bradley has been noted for her "Mists of Avalon", but I also enjoyed her darkover series. 

I loved the Amber series (Zelazny - I forgot who is doing the prequels with Oberon)

While I'm not sure if it would be considered fantasy, I read "Watership Down" (Richard Adams) again and again (we bite the rope and off we go and general woundworth doesn't know...)

edit due to spell checking changing names

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik

I was so happy to see someone mention george rr martins the song of ice amd fire. I'm reading #4 right now and your right, not a lot of magic but the twists and turns leave no one safe. I also recomend robin mckinleys the blue sword.
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Thanks for reminding me about lloyd alexanders series. I also read those so many years ago now I want to reread. This is a great great group so many great books andseries to read and reread
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I don't think anyone mentioned one of my fav authors and series, the author is garth nix and I can't remember the series name but the first book is Sabriel. If someone mentionedalready then I'm just agreeing.
Contributor
UnicronSocial

Any R.A. Salvatore book, well any book with the drow character Drizzt in it.

I love the D&D world. Used to love reading only Star Wars books.

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

HI all

I'm new. :smileyvery-happy:

I don't think I saw this one listed.

Anne Rice wrote a great series: The Mayfair Witches

Book 1 The Witching Hour

Book 2 Lasher

Book 3 Taltos

And of course her Vampire Chronicles were amazing.

Mazz

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Reader 2
Timothy_Paige
0 Kudos

Not positive my memory is accurate on this, but Ashen Shugar was the name of the God that Tomas became in the Riftwar Saga in Feist's books...

Reader
Charlie417
0 Kudos

I read profusely now that I'm retired. I am a fan of Terry Brooks. His last book  Bearer of the Black Staff was fantastic. His sequel to it "The Measure of the Magic" will finish the two book series and I can't wait for it's release. I have all of his series and most are autographed by him. I met him years ago at a book signing while looking for something new and the owner handed me "Sciens of Shannara". I met terry and spoke to him in length and was impressed by him. Ever since I can't wit for his newest book  release. In between I enjoy Dean Koontz,Stephen King, Lee Childs, and John Saul  just a few of my favorite authors.   Charlie

Reader
mld0806
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

H-Butterfield wrote:

I have several fantasy favorites. Lets see....

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Hayden

The Moonshae Trilogy by Douglas Niles

and,

The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain

Those are just a few that I really like.

HB

OOOH! After talking to many Realms fans I was starting to think I was the only one who'd ever read the Moonshae trilogy!

Only seen one mention on the Hythrun Chronicles by Fallon (great characters), and in Forgotten Realms land I really liked the Cleric Quintet (which is available in a trade paperback bindup). Loved Jordan but waiting for the series to end (tough to keep it all straight between new books).

All time favorite series is Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

Also HIGHLY recommend Kim Harrison's Hollows series! Avoided these for a long time because I thought it was more urban fantasy romance novel stuff, but boy was I wrong and do I regret my ignorance!

EDIT: After posting, I remembered one more! Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality. Not the best WRITING (I find Anthony to be shallow and generic when it comes to style), but an immensely cool concept which is well executed.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Trevor:

Completely with you on Steven Brust. Even if you don't like the stories, there are not a lot of writers who are this good with words - I have friends who read him just because the writing itself is so good. Also not many with his sense of humor.

Seems to be getting more attention now, if the reprints and hardcovers are any indication, but he's still very much overlooked.