New User
shayshebang
0 Kudos

Re: The Best Epic Fantasy Novels and Series of All Time

While reading other replies to your question, I realized how I have limited my fantasy reading and there aren't too many series I have actually loved.  I hope this means I am a discerning reader but maybe I don't know as much about fantasy as I thought I did.  The Shannara books and Sword of Truth by Terry Brooks have always been my favorites until I read the Otherland Series by Tad Williams and found myself completely engrossed in virtual reality.  I recently read the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning and loved how she included some eroticism into her novels.

I don't know if the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins can be considered fantasy, but it was some of the best story and plot I have ever read.

Darkfever (Fever Series #1) 

Always,
ShayShay
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

shayshebang wrote:

While reading other replies to your question, I realized how I have limited my fantasy reading and there aren't too many series I have actually loved.  I hope this means I am a discerning reader but maybe I don't know as much about fantasy as I thought I did.  The Shannara books and Sword of Truth by Terry Brooks have always been my favorites until I read the Otherland Series by Tad Williams and found myself completely engrossed in virtual reality.  I recently read the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning and loved how she included some eroticism into her novels.

I don't know if the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins can be considered fantasy, but it was some of the best story and plot I have ever read.

Darkfever (Fever Series #1) 

I am new to reading Fantasy fiction but I am now a big fan!  I read the fever series and loved it and I just finished reading The Hunger Games series and was glued to the books.  Since we agreed on those two series I will now read the other series you mentioned because I think we seem to like the same things, so thanks for the suggestions.  

I also have read the Game of Thrones series, #5 soon to come out, I think in August. I liked the series but it goes on a bit.

Reader 2
jim2000

my favorites are

1.Midkemia series by Feist all of them riftwar through the latest

2.Death Gate cycle by Weis and Hickman

3.Dreden Files and Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher

and to the poster tha was wondering where Ashenshugar got his name frrom, it was from the riftwar saga, The Valheru that wore the armor that Tomas found which turned him into a Valheru Lite, was called Ashenshugar. (Just in case you havent found out yet since I dont believe he answered you :smileyhappy: )

Contributor
tollertwins
0 Kudos

Thot I'd throw a few 'out of the mainstream' reads in here...most of my other faves have already been mentioned (some repeatedly).

Sherwood Smith - Inda

Pamela Freeman - The Castings Trilogy

Michael Sullivan - The Riyria Revelations

The last is much lighter in tone than most 'epic' fantasy - but a 'swashbuckling' good read!

For paranormal series - do we have to be on the other board?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

tollertwins wrote:

Thot I'd throw a few 'out of the mainstream' reads in here...most of my other faves have already been mentioned (some repeatedly).

Sherwood Smith - Inda

Pamela Freeman - The Castings Trilogy

Michael Sullivan - The Riyria Revelations

The last is much lighter in tone than most 'epic' fantasy - but a 'swashbuckling' good read!

For paranormal series - do we have to be on the other board?

Have to, no. Preferably, yes. This is an Epic fantasy thread. 

Though why don't you come on over to the paranormal board. It a party too, just a different flavor.:smileywink: No need to limit your fun.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I really love Ranger's Apprentice series.  Also another great series is the Redwall series as well.

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice Series #1) 

Loamhedge (Redwall Series #16)  

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
New User
Pamela08GA
0 Kudos

I love the Vampire Academy books, they are great. I am reading Romance/Fantacy right now. Its the Anita Blake Vamipre Hunter by Laurell K Hamilton!! ITs great too!  I like Pc Cast's House of night series also! WONDERFUL! I am gonna get a few of the ones mentioned because they sound great! Thanks Y'all

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

I have to confess, I started reading Game of Thrones because I don't have HBO and everyone said the series adaptation was really good....and about 10 days later I finished A Feast for Crows.  I still can't believe I enjoyed the Song of Ice and Fire series so much and I can't wait for A Dance of Dragons this July! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
DeathGrin

I second Mickey Zucker Reichert.

The Renshai Trilogy:

Last of the Renshai

The Western Wizard

Child of Thunder

The Renshai Chronicles:

Beyond Ragnarok

Prince of Demons

The Children of Wrath

Flight of the Renshai (which is set 10-15 years after the previous book)

These are great reads with Norse Gods and well written characters. I have read through them several times.

Another good series by the same author is

The Legend of Nightfall

The Return of Nightfall

A tale about a thief with a unique gift who is forced to protect a prince while avoiding sorcerers who wan to kill him for his git.

All the books (that I have read) by this author are amazing and and humorously fun. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle

Glad to see Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown (and The Blue Sword) has been mentioned here. That's one of my all-time favorite books, and I enjoyed reading it at 24 as much as I did at 12.

I enjoyed Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain books, too, but not nearly as much as I would have had I not already been spoiled by The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when I read them. No disrespect, but Alexander's series seemed half-baked by comparison. Or maybe I was just too entranced by the Noldor. :smileywink:

Pratchett's Discworld is my favorite series currently; with Small Gods far and away the best of the set IMO.

But I think all of my picks have already been listed, so it must be time to start reading some of the others you've all named!

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Reader 2
Green_Embers
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

I have to confess, I started reading Game of Thrones because I don't have HBO and everyone said the series adaptation was really good....and about 10 days later I finished A Feast for Crows.  I still can't believe I enjoyed the Song of Ice and Fire series so much and I can't wait for A Dance of Dragons this July! :smileyhappy:

Yup.  :smileyhappy:  I wish I could watch the series but loved the books.  In a way A Song of Ice and Fire has kind of ruined fantasy for me... everything else seems kind of childish in some way.  I am patiently waiting for Dance.  (Can't come soon enough).

Contributor
Ape1
0 Kudos

I am happy to see so many Dragon Lance fans out there. I feel that this series is great! The legend of Huma was my 1st fantasy book that I read outside of school and its still great.

Bradinator1

It has been a bit since I posted my original choices and I need to add:

Malazan Books of the Fallen- Steven Eriksson : Very much in the tradition of Glen Cooks' Black Comapany only far more complex. An excellent series.

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Hi, Brad,

Every time I read your signature, I'm reminded of S.M. Stirling's definition of adventure - "Somebody else in deep s#!&  far, far away."

There are more of us than you think.
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Hi, Brad,

Every time I read your signature, I'm reminded of S.M. Stirling's definition of adventure - "Somebody else in deep s#!&  far, far away."

Heya Page,

It's kinda like the tag line from one of my favorite shows "It only Hurts When I Laugh" , "...Nothing is funnier than pain, humiliation, and destruction, especially when it's happening to someone else".

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

I watch that show too - OW!!  What are you reading?

There are more of us than you think.
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

I watch that show too - OW!!  What are you reading?

Coincidently , I just picked up Ian Esslemont's "Return of the Crimson Guard" another Malazan book. Just started it but it seems right in line with the rest of the series. "Knight of Knives was very good. I've been living off the local library for the past year and have fallen behind on some of the newer stuff...although my library has done an excellent job of keeping me off the streets.

New User
amiller5785
0 Kudos

I have to agree with the hunger games one of my all time fav :smileyhappy:
New User
mikea2011
0 Kudos

stretching way back

ERB  Tarzan, Mars

EE Doc Smith Lensman