Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Re: The Best Epic Fantasy Novels and Series of All Time

I can't see how this would've been skipped on this long list, but just in case, I have to say the best epic fantasy or sci-fi would have to be The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.  Douglas Adams was a genius when it came to humor, originality and just writing in general.  I challenge anyone to read these books and dislike them, because I believe it's impossible.  I have never read a book as many times as I've read these, but they're worth coming back to.  Not just for the entertainment value of revisiting a favorite story, but because they're so intricate that you'll find a different perspective or lovable moment with each read. 

Please, if you've never read these books, go get them and do yourself a favor.  You'll be glad you did.  :smileytongue:

Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Reader 4
jakibookworm
0 Kudos

I believe that Christine Feehan...Dark Series is way better than the Twilight series....Twilight series is good but its a little to platonic for me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

SandraPants wrote:

I can't see how this would've been skipped on this long list, but just in case, I have to say the best epic fantasy or sci-fi would have to be The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.  Douglas Adams was a genius when it came to humor, originality and just writing in general.  I challenge anyone to read these books and dislike them, because I believe it's impossible.  I have never read a book as many times as I've read these, but they're worth coming back to.  Not just for the entertainment value of revisiting a favorite story, but because they're so intricate that you'll find a different perspective or lovable moment with each read. 

Please, if you've never read these books, go get them and do yourself a favor.  You'll be glad you did.  :smileytongue:

Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Without a doubt a great Science Fiction series. A you must read these series.

But...  well... so far the discussion has been on Fantasy series. :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Hooray!! Tiggerbear cracks the "on topic whip" once again. We would surely descend into chaos without you, love .What's new?

There are more of us than you think.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Hooray!! Tiggerbear cracks the "on topic whip" once again. We would surely descend into chaos without you, love .What's new?

(laughs) What???! :smileysurprised:

No whip honest. I just thought it amusing. The poster being surprised and all.

Ah with me not worth talking about. Hope you're good though.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

Doing the full-time RV thing, so I can't really carry a lot of books with me. I just finished "The Strain" which qualifies as a series, since the second book "The Fall" is already out. (Please note that I am staying on topic.) I liked it - a slightly new take on the whole vampire thing), but am now reading Margaret Atwood's "the Year of the Flood" which kind of relates to "Oryx and Crake", so I guess it could qualify as a series. You have to be careful with series when you get older. You risk not being around for the finish.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Doing the full-time RV thing, so I can't really carry a lot of books with me. I just finished "The Strain" which qualifies as a series, since the second book "The Fall" is already out. (Please note that I am staying on topic.) I liked it - a slightly new take on the whole vampire thing), but am now reading Margaret Atwood's "the Year of the Flood" which kind of relates to "Oryx and Crake", so I guess it could qualify as a series. You have to be careful with series when you get older. You risk not being around for the finish.

Yeah lost a couple of friends who were waiting for the end of the Wheel of Time series.

New User
Janiha

I was so happy to find this thread that I just signed up to B&N!  I'm relatively new to the Fantasy genre (started a few years back).  My "gateway" series was Harry Potter (which I read so that I would know what the kids were reading).  After reading that series I followed it up with The Wheel of Time.  Even though it did lag a bit toward the middle of the series, I still have to claim this series as my "first love".   In reading I tend to find an author I like, then read everything I can.  My list of favorites so far:

• Robert Jordan ---- yep
  • Brandon Sanderson  --- I actually like everything he's written (though I haven't read his Evil Librarians series)
  • Brent Weeks  -- This new author is on my short list to "buy everything he writes"
  • Patrick Rothfuss -- Granted he only has the one book so far, but it was enjoyable.
  • George RR Martin  -- his problem is that he takes way too long to write.
  • Raymond Feist -- though some of his later books tend to drag a little too much
  • Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series was a worthy read - not the TV series though.
  • Robin Hobb - the latest series she has out isn't up to par in my opinion, but I like all her other stuff
  • Naomi Novik -- the Temeraire series, I really enjoyed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  I can't wait to get started on some of the books mentioned in this thread!  I'm always looking for new books to read.  I've started and stopped The Shannara series at least a half dozen times, just can't get into them at all.  I've also started and stopped the Malazan series... not sure why I couldn't get into it.  I tried reading The Hobbit many years ago but didn't like it.  I might try again though and see what comes of it.

If anyone one has suggestions for me to read I welcome them!! :smileyhappy:

Janiha

New User
brimstonebull

These are great series in their own right, though some are not finished.  Most of the obvious inclusions i won't write down but there were some glaring omissions in my opinion.

a few examples...

heroes die, the blade of tyshalle, by matthew woodring stover (brutally sharp writing and witty as hell, one of my newest faves)

ilium and olympus by dan simmons (some might consider this sci-fi, though it is far more epic in scope than most books could dare to dream, and the story is a homage to every greek myth.)

mistborn trilogy and sandersons newest, the way of kings, was an amazing start to a new series

bio of a space tyrant and the adept series by piers anthony (which i read in junior high)

the dark tower series by stephen king...it IS fantasy, and not horror...well, its a mixture i suppose

the bakers boy by J.V. Jones, as well as her newest series, the sword of shadows, which i found very readable through every book.

the lies of locke lamora, red seas under red skies, by scott lynch (the characters shine in these books and i cant wait for the next installment)

the red wolf conspiracy and the ruling sea, great new series from Robert Redick, remindful of robin hobbs fantastic liveship traders series.

a deepness in the sky, absolutely stunning book by vernor vinge (this one is straight sf but i had to include it since in my mind sometimes the barrier between the two genres is pretty hard to define)

the last unicorn by peter s beagle (a childhood favorite and seems to be timeless to this day)

phillip jose farmer's riverworld series...which i cannot believe nobody thought to include.

the steel remains, by richard morgan...be careful with this one, the sexual content alone is pretty grisly stuff, but its definitely good storytelling. 

the scar, perdido street station, by chine mieville (these books could almost be classified as steampunk sci-fi, but the otherworldliness, and the creepiness of it...well, check him out if you havent already)

the soldier son trilogy by robin hobb ( i just love her writing, and though these books were pretty rough going for me emotionally, i think they're pretty fantastic)

the vampire chronicles up to around the tale of the body thief by anne rice ( a guilty pleasure)

the majipoor chronicles by robert silverberg

once a hero by michael stackpole (if you loved heroes die, you will love this one)

sea of time trilogy by s.m. stirling (alternate futuristic tale of modern day nantucket island that gets sucked into some magical vortex back to 1200 bc.  its epic pulp fiction at its best.

the serpentwar saga by raymond e. feist (the very first fantasy book i ever read was prince of the blood...ahhh, memories)

i just started mickey zucker reicherts last of the renshai(speaking of huge epic tomes) and its promising so far, and i have joe abercrombies first law trilogy awaiting me...if you can think of some others ive missed id appreciate a reply. 

if you care, my top ten (or my top ten right now i suppose) is as follows (in a constantly shifting order)

the hyperion cantos by dan simmons

the dune series by frank herbert

the liveship traders series by robin hobb

the game of thrones by george r.r. martin (god help him to finish that series!)

the mistborn trilogy by brandon sanderson

the dark tower by stephen king (the first four were unmatched by the three that followed)

the wheel of time by robert jordan (god rest his soul)

the sword of truth by terry goodkind (i never read past pillars, so i hesitate to include it)

the caine series by mathew woodring stover

memory, sorrow, and thorn by tad williams

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

Be careful, make sure you don't write about any books that aren't fantasy here!  This thread is only for fantasy, so... I've already been warned.  I don't want you to get in trouble too! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

If you were not new to the board, you would know that I have been teasing Tiggerbear about the "on topic" thing for quite a while. Why so touchy?

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Tiggerbear was the one who told me my whole post was for nothing because it was a sci-fi book instead of a fantasy (lol ok not those exact words), so I just wanted to warn others so they don't feel rejected too.  :smileytongue: 

*heads back to the other threads where she is more welcome*

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

SandraPants wrote:

Tiggerbear was the one who told me my whole post was for nothing because it was a sci-fi book instead of a fantasy (lol ok not those exact words), so I just wanted to warn others so they don't feel rejected too.  :smileytongue: 

Aw man, that's the thing with these forums – sarcasm/joking around is hard to translate sometimes. We're all friends here – a little jabbing does occur from time to time but it's all in good fun, no bad feelings, please!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SandraPants wrote:

Jesh I thought the wink icon (:smileywink:) was a big enough clue that I wasn't being harsh. Had I used mad icon (:smileymad:) alone, I could have understood some confusion. And yes that is why everyone was teasing me earlier, they know I wasn't being mean. I truly was just trying to point out the humor of the situation.

Look I never intended to make you feel as if your post was nothing. It truly did just stike me as funny; you mentining a sci/fi books absense in a fantasy book list. If I have in any way injured your feelings, sensibilities, harshed your buzz, any and all; I humblily apologise. Not my intention what so ever. I'm sorry. Please come back and join the fun.

paulgoatallen

I have cookies!!!! And liquor.....

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

I'll be over if you have cookies and liquor.

paulgoatallen

pen21 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

I'll be over if you have cookies and liquor.

I don't know why but I crack myself up every time I write that! I don't drink very often – but I do eat cookies quite frequently.

Paul

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

...you had me at cookies.

Contributor
NookNerdDB

Currently re-reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  The Dragonlance epic is the greatest (and old enough to take me back a few years).

TiggerBear

[ Edited ]

NookNerdDB wrote:

Currently re-reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  The Dragonlance epic is the greatest (and old enough to take me back a few years).

Yeah I hit that about every 5 years. Get to missing Tas too much otherwise.

Oh and WELCOME!