Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes

Hey Ken!

Sounds like you have been busy on the home front.  But that is the fun part too. :smileyhappy:

I stopped over at the "battle".  I will have to pull my thoughts together and see if I can rack you up some points there. :smileywink:  I will do my best.

September huh... I am really excited to get into the next book.  I will have to review my notes on the other books as well, in prep for it.

Thanks for letting us know!  Hope all goes well.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

In a word:AWESOME!!!!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

Howdy folks!  Antiphon will be out in September...I don't have an exact date but I know the cover is coming together and I should be able to post that on my blog soon.

In other news, Lamentation is being pitted against another book over at the BSC Tournament and if you'd like to go vote for it, you can do so at http://www.bscreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=8000.  In a fun twist of fate, I'm up against my good friend Gail Carriger and her first novel, Soulless.  If I get thrashed by her, I don't mind so much.  :smileyhappy:

But voting is only open from this morning (3/18) til 3/19.  So go quickly now if you've a mind to.

And in more news, things are still going very slow with the twins now here.  But in the last two weeks they've started sleeping through the night and I've started feeling like I've got the brain-space to work again.  Fingers crossed that they'll continue this trend and that I can write like the wind and nail down Requiem in the next four or five months.

I hope you're all doing well.  Do drop by my blog and if you haven't yet, friend me in Facebook to get access to baby pictures etc.

Ken

Hi Ken, great having you around and I'm really looking forward to the next book. It looks like I'll have to start rereading soon!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

*bump*  for a newbie :smileyvery-happy:

Nadine
0 Kudos

Canticle by Ken Scholes

Great having this thread. I'm almost finished with my last reread of Canticle and I have some speculations and comments I want to add. I'm picking up all sorts of things I missed the first few time through and have some additional thoughts on some of my previous comments.

Ken and Beth -- we are going to keep you on your toes! We are studying every word carefully. So far I haven't found a hole. This is a beautifully crafted story. All the tatalizing pieces are there -- that is enough to drive us crazy and keep us guessing.

I hope to finish up by tomorrow night.

Nadine

Re: Canticle by Ken Scholes

I'm now in the "clean-up/set-up for next book" section of Canticle. But I had forgotten how depressing and absolutely hopeless things end up toward the end of Canticle. I keep thinking that things couldn't get much worse -- and then I remember that Requiem is on the horizon.:smileysad:

Nadine
0 Kudos

More thoughts

There is a pattern here of people being controlled and their personalities being formed by tragedy. At first I thought it was a Li Tam method but I see it is a method of the Grand Manipulator. People are literally "forged in the fire." Looking over those who have been treated as such was kind of revealing because they are all on "the good side." These people are being deliberately groomed for something and it is not to destroy them.

Let's look at the list of "fire-forged" people:

Rodolfo - Death of parents, brother, and Gregoric

Neb - Destruction of Windwir and the death of his father. I'm sure that was planned.

Winters - Death of Hanric and loss of her kingdom. She literally goes through a "rebirth" ritual at the end of Canticle

Vlad Li Tam - He certainly was fire-forged with the virtual death of his family under torture and himself as well. Plus the betrayal by his father and Mal. But he didn't die (and nothing in this story seems accidental). He too was changed a lot and sent in another direction.

Petronus - He certainly was manipulated and formed by Vlad's father but that did not significantly change him. However, at the end of Canticle, he literally died and was resurrected and banished. He is definitely a changed man now.

Lysias and his daughter Lynnae - Her child and husband were killed. These two have had pretty minor roles until now. Lysias now has his own POV. I think they will be major players later on

Meiroy of Pylos - She lost her son and is pretty bitter about it. Not much has been said of her but I think she too will be a major player.

Can anyone think of any others? We are on the side of most of these players. Something is destined for them. And we have no idea who the Master Manipulator is. Ken may be misleading us with this Xhum Y'Zir resurgence.

Also Ken makes use of the "rising sun" symbol, a symbol of hope and rebirth:

Vlad
Winters
Petronus
Rae (oh this one has me thinking but more on that later)

And two others led on and revived by a song:
Rodolfo and Neb

And Jin Li Tam by the blue-green light of the "moon"

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think reading "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon" is critical to understanding the last third of Canticle. Those of you who are now reading Canticle should read it before reading the last part of Canticle or you will not pick up all the references. Definitely read it after you are finished.

I think a reference to this should be included in Canticle and, because it is so critical, maybe it should be included in the appendix. Not every reader has internet access.

dhaupt

I just finished Canticle and am amazed by Ken's imagination, just when you think you've got things maybe figured out, well think again.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I just finished Canticle and am amazed by Ken's imagination, just when you think you've got things maybe figured out, well think again.

Deb:
If you loved Canticle, you are literally going to be floored by Antiphon... It's a "wow" read for sure!
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt

paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Deb:
If you loved Canticle, you are literally going to be floored by Antiphon... It's a "wow" read for sure!
Paul

Baited breath here Paul

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

Thank you for this. I finished the book before I saw this link...but, I will take your advice and get it read very soon.

Contributor
PeteyParker
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I think reading "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon" is critical to understanding the last third of Canticle. Those of you who are now reading Canticle should read it before reading the last part of Canticle or you will not pick up all the references. Definitely read it after you are finished.

I think a reference to this should be included in Canticle and, because it is so critical, maybe it should be included in the appendix. Not every reader has internet access.

Awww. I wish I had looked at the topic before I finished Canticle yesterday. I'm about 70 pages in to Antiphon at this point.