Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes: Section 3 –Chapter 18 - End

Nadine wrote:

I think Long Walks and Other Strange Journeys is the anthology where you will find the original Metal Man story -- " a mysterious metal man with the power to bring down a city and the heart to weep for it"

This is a great idea Nadine.  I think I may have to get this book too.  Does anyone know if there is a story in here for the Metal man that will help us in our current stories?

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Author
kenscholes

No hurry on my end.  I'll come back and answer questions gladly as long as Paul sends them along to me.  :smileyhappy:

I don't mind popping onto the site later this month, or in December, etc to answer them.  I just know I will forget to come looking for them unless I get an email.

Author
kenscholes

Howdy folks.  Truly love coming over here so don't worry about scaring me off.  Paul, just gather up questions and send them along as they come in.  I'll not put any time limits on it for now -- I think building this relationship both with the readers actively posting and with those who come after to see the posts is a really good use of my time.  And it keeps my gears moving.

RE:  The collection Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys.  The first metal man story is in it.  The story is reproduced in its entirety (with a few changes) in Lamentation itself, in Rudolfo's POV, from "Rudolfo's Gypsy Scouts found the metal man weeping..." through "There would be time enough for rest after the war was won."  Still, there are also sixteen other stories from my Wacky Imagination Forest that you might enjoy.  And it's up for the Endeavour Award here in the Pacific Northwest.  There's a second collection planned for late 2010 and that may contain the unpublished second short story "Of Missing Kings and Backward Dreams and the Honoring of Lies" along with other short fiction that ties into this universe (including the Weeping Czar novelette.)  And I think Allen Douglas will sell prints of his Weeping Isaak painting.

RE:  The Night of Purging and the Age of Laughing Madness.  The Scientist Scholar, P'Andro Whym, is considered responsible for the uprising that led to the murder of the seven wizard kings, the sons of Xhum Y'Zir.  The bereaved father created the Seven Cacophonic Deaths and sent his death choirs out into what is now the Churning Wastes as retribution.  The first Rudolfo played some role in the betrayal of P'Andro Whym and was thus rewarded salvation from the Deaths, along with the house servants of Y'Zir (the Marshers), and given the lands behind the Keeper's Gate.  The Churning Wastes still carry some of the madness of Y'Zir's spell and affect people strangely.

Hope those are good tidbits.  I'm looking forward to your questions!

Ken

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

No hurry on my end.  I'll come back and answer questions gladly as long as Paul sends them along to me.  :smileyhappy:

I don't mind popping onto the site later this month, or in December, etc to answer them.  I just know I will forget to come looking for them unless I get an email.

Ken:

I'm on it! We can email back and forth in between changing poopy diapers!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

RE:  The collection Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys.  The first metal man story is in it.  The story is reproduced in its entirety (with a few changes) in Lamentation itself, in Rudolfo's POV, from "Rudolfo's Gypsy Scouts found the metal man weeping..." through "There would be time enough for rest after the war was won."  Still, there are also sixteen other stories from my Wacky Imagination Forest that you might enjoy.  And it's up for the Endeavour Award here in the Pacific Northwest.  There's a second collection planned for late 2010 and that may contain the unpublished second short story "Of Missing Kings and Backward Dreams and the Honoring of Lies" along with other short fiction that ties into this universe (including the Weeping Czar novelette.)  And I think Allen Douglas will sell prints of his Weeping Isaak painting.

Ken

That would be great, Ken. I'm really looking forward to that collection, especially since some of us are becoming "experts" in this world. I really would like a hard copy of Weeping Czar." The "3-point" type of the online version is really hard reading and it would be nice having a perminent marked up copy that I didn't lose between your book releases.

Glad you are going to stick around so we can pry some more clues from you!

Nadine

[ Edited ]

kenscholes wrote:

RE:  The Night of Purging and the Age of Laughing Madness.  The Scientist Scholar, P'Andro Whym, is considered responsible for the uprising that led to the murder of the seven wizard kings, the sons of Xhum Y'Zir.  The bereaved father created the Seven Cacophonic Deaths and sent his death choirs out into what is now the Churning Wastes as retribution.  The first Rudolfo played some role in the betrayal of P'Andro Whym and was thus rewarded salvation from the Deaths, along with the house servants of Y'Zir (the Marshers), and given the lands behind the Keeper's Gate.  The Churning Wastes still carry some of the madness of Y'Zir's spell and affect people strangely.

Ken

Great bit of information, Ken. I'm sure all this is in the books somewhere but it is nice having it all summariized. This really clears up a lot of issues.

So the madness still is "in the air" in the Churning Wastes and that is what is affecting Neb and the mechoservitor. Probably not good. We could lose Neb to the madness in the next book and it also might explain the destructiveness of the mechoservitors with regards to the Sanctorium Lux.

So the Marshers and the Gypsies are in the Y'Zir camp and, if Y'Zir had domain over the Named Lands, they would be the rightful settlers with the rest of the crowd usurpers. Maybe this is what Petronus was trying to do by turning over all the Androfrancine funds and the new library to Rudolfo's keeping. This is also the "magic" dependent side of things.

Now the Androfrancines were in the camp of Scientist Scholar, P'Andro Whym and kind of took control over everything. Their main function was the preservation of the technology develped by Scientist Scholar, P'Andro Whym. So this is the "technological" side of things.

This does put the series in both the fantasy (magic) and SF (technology) camps and an interesting conflict between magic and technology. So it should be easier now to divide things between the two opposite solutions - magic or technology. Now the big question is where does the Li Tam family fit in.

Author
kenscholes

Oh, there's more than that Madness affecting the mechoservitor and Neb.  But the Madness is definitely there (it doesn't work on mechoservitors to my knowledge....) 

More revealed in Antiphon.

Muahahahahahaha.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

Oh, there's more than that Madness affecting the mechoservitor and Neb.  But the Madness is definitely there (it doesn't work on mechoservitors to my knowledge....) 

Muahahahahahaha.

Great.... thanks Ken! Just when I thought I had it almost figured out...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

kenscholes wrote:

Ken

Muahahahahahaha.

Ken

Thanks for the information Ken!!!  You are evil, very evil.... :robotwink: But, I have to say, loving it!

Okay, I have italicized and underlined a few phrases in Kens comments.

P'Andro Whym considered responsible?  Could this imply he may not be responsible?  Could some one else have be to fault for the death of the 7 sons?  Were the 7 sons even killed?

Death Choir ---- The Mechoservitors?  Could Y'Zir used the Mechoservitors the same way they where used in Windwir?  Sent them out with the spell to destroy...  This is what the Androfrancines where planning to do as well, right?  What if the Mechoservitors that are in the library and the one that took Neb to the library are of this old time and thinking?  Since they should not be of the belief of Marshers and should not be "thinking" that the library should be destroyed (Charles the man mentions this was out of their character and should not think this of the library.)  They are the old mechoservitors of Y'Zir.  I think they are.  let me throw some thoughts our here on this thinking.  Where would the mechoservitors of Y'Zir have gone?  They would have survived the distruction just like Isaak and our mechoservitors.  They would have needed some where to go and someone to go to.  Why not somewhere out where no one goes because they are driven mad by the spells lingering affects and maybe there is another spell out there to also affect them.  To keep people away.  Till they can get the mechoservitors of old in place to destroy and take over where need be.  To lead people to where "they" want them to be.  ~ Okay, sorry I am getting caught up here in thought.  No more crazy thinking. ~

The first Rudolfo played a role in betraying P'Andro Whym.  So the Gypsies were close with P'Andro Whym as I had suspected.  What if the first Rudolfo wanted something and created this war???

The Churned wastes still carry the madness of the spell.  I have a few thoughts on this one. 

1) Neb was near Windwir when the spell went off.  Could this be what is causing him to have the dreams, glosslarolie, and such?  Remember the Marshers are said to suffer from the madness, they where also the last ones out before the spells went off - could that be what affected them as well?  And now the madness seems to be gone from them, possibly because the generation that was close to the spells going off have all been breed out of them.  Oh... Maybe one of Nebs parents (mother maybe) was around the wastes and this is what she has passed on to him - the madness of the wastes.  OR could it be that he was conceived in the wastes so the madness was passed on to him?  And the spell just jarred this to the surface?

2) Then you have that there is more affecting Neb and the Mechoservitor.  Could this be the songs hold on them?  But the mechoservitor can not hear the song.  So it is something else.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine

Melissa wrote:

P'Andro Whym considered responsible?  Could this imply he may not be responsible?  Could some one else have be to fault for the death of the 7 sons?  Were the 7 sons even killed?

-----------------------------------------

I was thinking along the same lines. P'Andro Whym has been presented as kind of a nice guy in these first two books. But I get the feeling that he only caused events that eventually caused the death of the seven sons but was not directly responsible.

=================================

Death Choir ---- The Mechoservitors?  Could Y'Zir used the Mechoservitors the same way they where used in Windwir?  Sent them out with the spell to destroy...  This is what the Androfrancines where planning to do as well, right?  What if the Mechoservitors that are in the library and the one that took Neb to the library are of this old time and thinking?  Since they should not be of the belief of Marshers and should not be "thinking" that the library should be destroyed (Charles the man mentions this was out of their character and should not think this of the library.)  They are the old mechoservitors of Y'Zir.  I think they are.  let me throw some thoughts our here on this thinking.  Where would the mechoservitors of Y'Zir have gone?  They would have survived the distruction just like Isaak and our mechoservitors.  They would have needed some where to go and someone to go to.  Why not somewhere out where no one goes because they are driven mad by the spells lingering affects and maybe there is another spell out there to also affect them.  To keep people away.  Till they can get the mechoservitors of old in place to destroy and take over where need be.  To lead people to where "they" want them to be.  ~ Okay, sorry I am getting caught up here in thought.  No more crazy thinking.

--------------------------------------

I will have to think on this one.

===============================

The first Rudolfo played a role in betraying P'Andro Whym.  So the Gypsies were close with P'Andro Whym as I had suspected.  What if the first Rudolfo wanted something and created this war???

--------------------------------

Could be. First Rudolfo must have done something to me singled out by Y'Zir. But at this point I'm not sure who started the war -- the Whymer side or the Y'Zir side.

========================================

The Churned wastes still carry the madness of the spell.  I have a few thoughts on this one. 

1) Neb was near Windwir when the spell went off.  Could this be what is causing him to have the dreams, glosslarolie, and such? 

-----------------------------------

Good point. The seven cataphonic deaths did cause madness before and Neb was the only survivor we know of that was close to windwir. Remember he couldn't speak in anything but gosple quotes.

============================

Remember the Marshers are said to suffer from the madness, they where also the last ones out before the spells went off - could that be what affected them as well?  And now the madness seems to be gone from them, possibly because the generation that was close to the spells going off have all been breed out of them.  Oh... Maybe one of Nebs parents (mother maybe) was around the wastes and this is what she has passed on to him - the madness of the wastes.  OR could it be that he was conceived in the wastes so the madness was passed on to him?  And the spell just jarred this to the surface?

2) Then you have that there is more affecting Neb and the Mechoservitor.  Could this be the songs hold on them?  But the mechoservitor can not hear the song.  So it is something else.

------------------------------------------

This is straight from Ken so there is something more and I think we have to wait for it.

Nadine

Melhay wrote:

Okay I was going through my thoughts and I have now come to thinking on Vlad Li Tam.

***SPOILERS ARE PRESENT****

Vlad Li Tam:

Ria is saving Vlads blood.  What are they using it for?  I understand that his blood is to help heal, but Vlads blood was not the blood used to heal Jakob.  So where is it?  What is the true meaning to his and his families blood?

-------------------------------------------

I was wondering the same thing especially since they are also keeping so much of the Li Tam blood from literally thousands of people (he sure was prolific!). My first totally off-the-wall thought was they were filling storage tanks to feed their army of vampires!!! :smileyvery-happy:

For their blood magic they seem to need very little. A drop does it.

==========================================

What are the words and symbols carved into Vlad?  What do they mean?

Pg 297 – The blood of Li Tam’s family is piped into the basement.  What is going on in this basement with the blood?

Pg 328 – Vlad believes there was a spirit here in the water.  I think he is right.  When he saw it is on page 328.  Pg 356 is when he tells Jin Li Tam he saw the spirit in the water.

---------------------------

I missed this. I think you have found something very significant. Might have something to do with people transporting from the moon. right now we don't know if that is populated or not. And there are those "Ghosting Crests."

============================

Was Ria killing the Li Tam Family then when Vlad couldn’t see them bring them back to life like she did with Petronus on page 345?  I can’t remember but I think prior was talk with Rudolfo on the ship of all the bodies that were brought out of the castle she lived in & was blood letting in.

Pg 361 – Per this page the Li Tam blood was helped in saving Jakob.  How is this possible?  Did they have to do experiments with it to see if they could find the right mixture to create the magick they needed?  It was not Li Tams blood put in that container Ria swished around, it was Petronus’s.  Was the Li Tam blood used to make the concoction that was already in the container?

-----------------------------------------

I think it was used to make the concoction but it needed Pertonus's blood to activate it.

========================================

Pg 361 – Was it always meant for Li Tam’s family to be so big for the amount of blood needed?

--------------------------------

Interesting idea. They were a stock of blood breders!!! But I have no idea why their blood was so important as well as Petronus to make the magic work.

I have to say if you read the Postlude, last 2 pages, you know the truth.  I am sooooo shocked yet happy I could figure this one out.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS****

Magicked Marshers – Machtvolk:

Pg 301 – where are these people going when they break through the Gypsies line that Jin Li Tam has set up?  Pg 307 -Where they heading to over take the Marshers (Winters people)?

---------------------------------------

My feeling was they were devistating the armies of the southern states. I'm not sure if they were just passing through the gypsy army or doing harm there as well.

=================================

There is definitely penetration into Rudolfo’s Gypsy Scouts.  Ria knows much of Rudolfo’s son (pg 325).  Pg 358 is mentioned that there was a Machtvolk in all places.

So now the question is who are the plants for the Machtvolk?  Can we figure this out?  These could be the people you trust with your life that have turned.  Remember the Machtvolk on the island are made up all groups of the people from the Name Lands (more so from Erlunds area but from all over.).

I can believe that some of the Gypsy people may fall into the trap the Marshers did and convert over to Y'Zir with the markings.  I hate to think that as Rudolfo's people are very trusting, faithful to him and honor their king Gypsy Rudolfo greatly but you just never know.

I have a lot of questions (and more questions than answers) about the Marshvolks but I will address those later after I get through all these posts. Both the Marshers and the Gypsy had remenants of what I assume is Y'Zir customs. The Marshers with their mysticism and body markings. The Gypsies with thier Pentantant Torturers.

Nadine

Melhay wrote:

****SPOILERS****

Now I come to just the little bit I have learned of Ria.  And questions I have of her.

Ria:

Pg 348 – What she has proven by all she has done.

She exiles Petronus to the Wastes.

Pg 350 – Explains in part as why she felt she had to claim Kin-Healing to the Li Tam family.

Pg 363 – She is Winters older sister.

Pg 363 – Was her death & saving a secret a plan as well from the Y’Zirite movement?  All done with the blood magicks? 

Why was her birth kept a secret even when her mother was pregnant?  Did they dream of her being the one to destroy what they have or bringing back the Y’Zir ways?

I wonder on her relationship with Mal Li Tam.  Is there really love here that ties the families as well, or is this just a ploy to get to the family of Li Tam and get what they need or want?

You have hit the jackpot here! This is a big subject and along with the your previous post I will want to address this later. Again, I have more questions and answers but I would like to post the questions and then forward them to the Aniphon thread.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

****SPOILERS****

I am going to combine Rudolfo and Jakob here being that at the moment I only have a few questions and thoughts on them.  Once our discussion gets flowing again I am sure I will have many more thoughts to add.

Rudolfo:

Pg 320 – he knows of stories of what the blood letting could do.  But they are not shared with us yet.

Other than Rudolfo’s connetion through their history with Y’Zir what is the importance of Rudolfo?  I keep thinking and wondering on what the connection is between the Gypsies and the Y'Zir.  There has to be a closness that was between The Gypsies and Whym to know that he was going to kill the seven sons of Y'Zir in order to tell Y'Zir of this plot.  So what was the relationship there?  Again what is the importance of Rudolfo and Jin Li Tam?  Why are they so special?  Descendent of Frederico & Y’Zir family, or even more instead of Y'Zir what about Whym family? 

Just thinking from the Machtvolk peoples view... Now that the Promised Child is born why is it important to keep them around?

I feel it is important that the Nine fold forest holds the land titles that Androfrancine had held – for all the land.  But I don't think this would stop the Machtvolk from taking what they wanted anyway, as we have seen they will and can do as they want.

Jakob:

Pg 340 – in the prophecy that Ria talks of with Jakob.  Does Jakob need to go to the city in which P’Andro was born?  This is part of what makes me think there may be more to their heritage than they realize... to Whym?

Ditto! I'm with you on all these questions. I have them as well. Maybe later we could all put in our wildest speculation into the "what-is-going-to-happen-next" pool and see who comes the closest.

Nadine

Melhay wrote:

****SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED****

These are just some questions I have come up with since reading the book.  Just some food for thought to see what others think on these as well.

How is all this known so long ago?  Did they have a dreamer like Winters to inform on the future?  Even with Nebs mother and father knowing before he was even conceived?  How do they know such detail of the future?  What if there would have been a girl born instead of a boy in a family or vise versa? (after reading pg 358)

----------------------------------

"Libraries" seem to be important to this series. We have the Windwir Library (destroyed), the Sanctorum Lux (destroyed and which now only exists a mechoservitor scrolls), Rudulfo's library, the Li Tam library (which Vlad destroyed), and the Marsher's Dream Books. Everything seems to be predestined and foretold somehow. A library or book may hold the key.

====================================

After reading page 361 – How could Vlads father create Vlad as he is and Petronus to just destroy for Y’Zirite?  Could Vlad’s father have been forced to create Y’Zirite due to the prime mover?  BUT, then created Vlad and family and Petronus and Rudolfo and Jin to fight against the Crimson Empress?  Vlad’s dad created the tools to destroy the Crimson Empress?

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what side Vlad's dad was on. Don't forget that final volume that betrayed Vald and his family. That was all planned by Vlad's dad as well.

==========================

How did Petronus’s blood save Jakob?  What is with Petronus & Vlads bloods?  We know more in Vlad blood as to their line of where they are from but what does the blood do?

I am also going to throw a question out here that some may wonder why are you even asking, but here it goes.

The Watcher in the Postlude we have learned is a Mechoservitor.  Could this be Isaak?  Where has Isaak gone to since his leg was broken by the metal man Charles?  Or is this another metal man we have not met yet?  Have we come across anyone who plays a flute?  Who is aware of this old gospel of which the Machtvolk resite?  Could this be a mechoservitor from the moon?  Remember Amal talks that they have mechoservitors there on the moon and she talked to one to get the information on the moon that she does not see.  Could he be the one that is rescripting the metal men to be Y'Zir followers as they where many, many years before when they lived on the moon with the Wizard family Y'Zir?

I don't think this is Isaak but it is of a high level. Maybe mechoservitor #1. The Preludes and Postludes are very tightly written and packed with information. They do seem to bookend each other. Remember in Lamentation the bird was relevent to both the Prelude and the Postlude. Maybe it is metal man Charles who is the Watcher. But whatever, they bookend each other here too with a mechoservitor instrumental in each. In fact we hae a mechanical creatures central in both books. This might lend weight to the theory that there is a machine behind all of this.

pen21
0 Kudos

I am done with the book.

I need to read through all the posts. What a busy thread!

Loved the book.

pen21

pen21
0 Kudos

Ken,

So now I have more to think about and figure out.

I was all caught up with posts on Friday.

And I can't believe how many posts I need to catch up on,

It will take a while to go through just the last few days.

All I can say is good job!

That last part was great.

The posts alone will tell you that.

I am off to read posts.

pen21

kenscholes wrote:

Muahahahahahaha.

Author
kenscholes

Hmmm.  I think I saw somewhere on here that someone read the mechoservitors couldn't hear the song...?

I need to check that because if I wrote that, it was an error in the text.

Of course, all of your sleuthing has shown me some loose threads that I forgot to wrap up in Antiphon but they're easily tackled in Requiem.  :smileyvery-happy:

You all are great.  I'm glad you're enjoying the books.  I'm already getting excited to "see" you puzzle out Antiphon when it comes out.

Paul, does B&N have a chat feature?  Wouldn't it be nice to throw a little chat party with eveyrone?

Ken

Nadine
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I am done with the book.

I need to read through all the posts. What a busy thread!

Loved the book.

pen21

Take your time Pen. I read through and missed a lot of important stuff the first time through and now I want to read it again with my present knowledge base. It will be good preparation for Antiphon and Requiem, so you or anyone else has plenty of time.

I want to get the CDs (the actual disks) but everyone seems to be out-of-stock. They couldn't be sold out already!

Nadine

[ Edited ]

kenscholes wrote:

Hmmm.  I think I saw somewhere on here that someone read the mechoservitors couldn't hear the song...?

I need to check that because if I wrote that, it was an error in the text.

Of course, all of your sleuthing has shown me some loose threads that I forgot to wrap up in Antiphon but they're easily tackled in Requiem.  :smileyvery-happy:

You all are great.  I'm glad you're enjoying the books.  I'm already getting excited to "see" you puzzle out Antiphon when it comes out.

Paul, does B&N have a chat feature?  Wouldn't it be nice to throw a little chat party with eveyrone?

Ken

You are fine here, Ken. The Mechoservators can hear the song. It is the foundation of their Dream.

Page 283

[Neb] heard the song.. . . . It was a mournful sound, and it came from beneath the steel cap.

The metal man's eye shutters flapped open. "This is the source of the dream."

Dream. He remembered. When his father had visited his dreams he had seen the metal men all in robes at a dig. It was this place. "The source of the dream is a song?"

"The dream is ciphered into the song. The song is a conduit. Listen." [Metal Man]

. . .

"Winter's dream," he [Neb] said. "I know it from her dream." . . .

Steam hissed from the mechoservitor's exhaust grate. "It is 'A Canticle for the Fallen Moon in B Minor' by the Last Czar Frederico, from before the Age of the Wizard Kings." ... Mark this place and know it well; the dream awaits you here. In the appointed time you will bear it to my cousin and you will both join us in the work. . . ."The song compel's a response."

===========================

This whole Neb POV is full of important information. And look at all the clues in just what I quoted above -- the Robed servitors, the servitor's cousin, Frederico was the last czar before the Age of the Wizard Kings and a ton of information on how the dreams are all interconnected.

Now I just have to go back and find Melissa's post on the words to the song. I'm sure I read that somewhere.