Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes

Hey Ken this is very interesting about the songs, and from The Weeping Czar.  Thanks for the little clue as to the worlds.

I am only on page 68, yes I am a slow reader - I savier the reading and think on it as I go.  But I love how in this short amount of pages there is a short briefing as to where everyone was left off and what they have been up to till now.  But the biggest amazment to me is the way it is all blended with what the new happenings and chaos is.  The action starts right off from page 1!  You don't wait to catch us up but do it at the same time as new movements are going on.  I was not able to put this book down.  I think this weekend will be spent with many hours having my nose in this book.  I have many questions just this far into the book.  I may be posting ideas as I go with this some over the weekend.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Great book!. I am about 150 pages into the story.

Melhay, I agree with you on really liking how we are reintroduced to the characters and the story. And without missing a beat in the Canticle story. Very well done.

I also am glad you included a map. It helps orient me and I do refer to it to figure out where things are happening.

pen21

New User
GypsyWebscout

choosing a thread carefully

I can't tell you how excited I am to see CANTICLE out in the world.  Heck, I still get excited when I see LAMENTATION, and take pictures of it with my phone and send them to Ken!  :smileywink:

Yay, Kenfans!!!

Okay, I'm not just some random weirdo.  (Well, maybe...)  Ken mentioned that he was an October Feature over here, and invited friends and first readers and what have you to come over and say hi and join in the conversation.  So... hi!  I'm Ken's Gypsy Webscout.  I've also had the delight of reading both books long before publication... I was up all night reading the (incomplete) draft of LAMENTATION Ken sent me way back when, and emailed him in a tizzy at 5am begging for the last 8 chapters.  It was sort of coherent, I think.  But probably not.

I am a lucky, lucky gal.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: choosing a thread carefully

I got the book from the library this afternoon and so far I'm up to chapter 4 and this may be a SPOILER but it is just after the attack and Jin La Tam is having her baby or at least that is the way it looks.  I have not been able to read uninterrupted but I am enjoying the book.  My big question right now is Who Attacked and Why?  Guess I justt have to keep reading to find out.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

GypsyWebscout wrote:

I can't tell you how excited I am to see CANTICLE out in the world.  Heck, I still get excited when I see LAMENTATION, and take pictures of it with my phone and send them to Ken!  :smileywink:

Yay, Kenfans!!!

Okay, I'm not just some random weirdo.  (Well, maybe...)  Ken mentioned that he was an October Feature over here, and invited friends and first readers and what have you to come over and say hi and join in the conversation.  So... hi!  I'm Ken's Gypsy Webscout.  I've also had the delight of reading both books long before publication... I was up all night reading the (incomplete) draft of LAMENTATION Ken sent me way back when, and emailed him in a tizzy at 5am begging for the last 8 chapters.  It was sort of coherent, I think.  But probably not.

I am a lucky, lucky gal.

You are a very lucky, lucky gal!  I am jealous, you already know what is going to happen.  :robotsad: Not fair...  Okay, I can completely see where you were from with calling for the last 8 chapters.

I do have to say he does have a talent for this.

Great to see you stopped by.  Hope you join us in our discussions!

Melissa

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

GypsyWebscout wrote:

Yay, Kenfans!!!

I am a lucky, lucky gal.

Wow. I am soooooo envious! Usually I'm cool with waiting for a series to get eventually run its course and for all of the volumes to get released but this is the first one where I'm literally going nuts waiting for the next installments! Antiphon, Requiem, Hymn..... aaarrgggghhh!!!!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
GypsyWebscout
0 Kudos

Wow. I am soooooo envious! Usually I'm cool with waiting for a series to get eventually run its course and for all of the volumes to get released but this is the first one where I'm literally going nuts waiting for the next installments! Antiphon, Requiem, Hymn..... aaarrgggghhh!!!!

Thankfully, Mr. Ken can be a pretty fast writer.  I'm still mega-impressed with the whole "first draft of LAMENTATION in six weeks thing".  I guess the lesson there is be careful with what you dare Ken to do!

But I think the plan still is for the next 2 books to be out in 2010.  Not a HUGE wait in the cosmic scheme of things, but still... when you're doing the "waiting for the next book" dance, long enough.  :smileywink:

Author
kenscholes

Happy Saturday!  I'm home from two signings -- both great fun -- and having auiet, productive morning.  I've revised three chapters of ANTIPHON so far since waking up...and that with a baby on my arm.

Nice to see you here, Aimee!  She is the one who keeps www.kenscholes.com current.  The character Lynnae is based on her and created as a way of thanking her for all her help and support.  She's also one of the honorary baby aunties.

As to pub schedules, we're not sure when 4 and 5 will be out.  ANTIPHON will come out in 9/10.  I lost some traction with the deaths in my family but even with that, my hope is that no one wait longer than a year for each book. 

Happy reading this weekend!  I'll check in again later!

Bibliophile
Melhay

Okay, I am just 150 pages into the book (yeah, I had one of those weekends where my idea of what to do didn't match up with the families ~ therefore less reading than I intended.)  But, with reading and stopping it gives me a great opportunity to reflect on what I read and think on it.  So, I can not sustain myself any longer, I have to share thoughts on this book so far.

**SPOILERS***

This Kin-Raven from the Postlude in Lamentation (that has a dead master whom my have been behind destroying Windwir) has made his rounds on visiting our friends here.  Is he watching and reporting back to his master what he sees?  I think he could be.

The new metal man we have met, Charles whom had the message for Petronus.  I was wondering where he has been since the explosion of Windwir, then thought along the lines of if the Kin-ravens master may have had him.  How does this Metal man know Petronus is still alive?

I was thinking all these things then we got to Neb, Isaak, and the scouts talking to him.  HE LIED!!  How is it he lied?  Yeah I am aware that Isaak lied too in Lamentation so it is possible, but Charles should be older.  What is this Sanctorum Lux?  Isaak and Neb have thoughts on what it is that Charles may be hiding... a library.  Then I started to wonder if Charles has been working in this hidden library and is kept up with what happened and Petronus not being dead.  But this leads me to wonder how does he think that Petronus has lived this long and not died in an accident or something?  I think he has a contact that we are not aware of.  So where or to whom is he running to?  This Charles was rather banged up when he showed up at the Gate.  What has he been through?

Bibliophile
Melhay

[ Edited ]

***SPOILERS***

Why do Rudolfo, Winters, and Vlad seem to be the ones being framed with all the bad stuff happening?

Okay I have come up with a few senerios for this thought, but now at 150 pages I have kind of narrowed it down to one.  My 3 ideas:

1.) They are too powerful that this "person" need the rest of the world to look badly apon them to be able to come back into this world.

2.) The allies to this "person" were the family members years ago from the old world and are kind to them now, along with needing them.

3.) Has Rudolfo been bred to take the leader position over the land? Then have Winters, Vlad and Petronus at his side to help.

I am currently leaning toward option 2.

The Marshers and Rudolfos histories are from the time from Y'Zir.  The Gypsy Scouts were to have warned and the marshers where sevants, then fleeing to where they are now before the Seven deaths spell was used.  Even though the shadow Marsh King was among those killed it were Marshers who used the forbidden magicks to kill all the heirs to the high seats in the world.  After reading pg 138-139 on the scar thing I really lean to this.

However I have not figured out how Vlad Li Tam fits into all this yet.  I can't remember if his family has any connection to Y'Zir or not.  I know he is the one who has formed Rudolfo into who he is, and it seems as someone else in the Li Tam family is trying to form Winters into what they will need her to be in the future.  But I wonder if it is because his family is so huge and such a network of spying that this "person" has befriended them to help.

I am starting to think there is an order that are Y'Zir followers somewhere just like there was an Androfrancines following P'Andro Whym.

It seems Petronus once again may know more information than we thought.  I think this is why he was not killed yet there was just questions for him, answers needed to be got from him.  Maybe he does not even realize he knows what is needed from this other "person".  The man who came for Petronus was speaking of the same thing the Kin-raven said at the end of Lamentation, and has been mentioned quite a few times in this book, "And thus," is said, "are the sins of P'AndroWhym visited upon his children."

From this one saying I think, Rudolfo and Winters do not follow this religion.  Petronus has left this religion and changed it in the world.  But where does Vlads family fall in this?  Do they really follow this religion?

Bibliophile
Melhay

Then we have a few people who have received warning there would be a threat on their lives.  Who is sending the warnings and why to only certain people and not the others?  Are the warning also from this "person" but that these people are needed in a future plan, yet he has to make it look uniform in trying to kill all these leaders?  I kind of think there is someone else working here from this view.  I have a hard time thinking it is the "person" that sent the attacks.

Why was Petronus and Erlund spared?  Along with Rudolfo?  I know Winters was spared because at the time Her shadow was all that was seen as the leader of the Marshers, BUT if it were Marshers who did the attackes they knew who the true King/Queen is and still went for her Shadow.

Bibliophile
Melhay

***SPOILERS***

I think there is something special of Petronus's attacker.  It was mentioned that he spoke Whymer and his accent was heavy.  Whymer was noted by Petronus as being an ancient and guarded language of the house of P'Andro Whymer.  This was not noted among the other attackers sent to Rudolfo or anywhere else (yet).  Now, I could be wrong but I don't remember the Marshers following P'Andro Whymer.  I don't remember them following any particular believe other than their own.  Then the attacker refered to Petronus as the "Last Son". So, who was his attacker?  Is Petronus of blood to Whymer or is it because he was a pope who is now the last one alive?

Bibliophile
Melhay

***SPOILERS***

I was thinking on Winters as well.  I have to say I do love her stong character.  I know she is falling in love with Neb and I really like these two together so far.  I was just wondering when I read page 29 if she claimed kin-clave to the gypsies only because she had "seen" in her visions that they guard her from her way to their home.  That she just never thought that she would feel for these people as she does.  Neb being the person who is to find the New Home is wild.  I can't wait to see where this leads to.

Neb and Winters seem to share a strange and cool ability.  The Glossolalia and dreams.  I wonder what started all these for Neb.  I wonder if the explosion at Windwir had something to do with it.  Did the spell or the explosion have an adverse reaction on Neb?  What caused this to just start with him. 

I have just met Renard and was wondering if Nebs father had appeared to Renard in his dreams as well.  I guess I may find out if I go back to reading.

Neb seemed to realize there was something that hit him as he rode out on the Waste Land following Renard, wanting to laugh madly.  I wonder if this is a spell or something he picked up on or if it was just him finally being where he wanted to be and visit from so long ago. 

I am going to have to get back to my reading to find out all my answers.

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Geez, Melissa – I sooooooo want to comment on your theories and speculations but I don't want to spoil anything! The answers are there! I'll wait 'til you're almost done to start spewing!

And, YES, isn't the Neb storyline just awesome?!? But is it as awesome as the Vlad Li Tam thread? That one so blew me away! I never saw that storyline coming!!!

That's one of the reasons I L-O-V-E this series – every single storyline is just jaw-dropping. We've all read "ensemble" fantasy/SF epics before that feature numerous main characters but there always seems to be one or two primary storylines while the rest are just secondary subplot stuff. Not so in the Psalms of Isaak – every pov that Ken writes about is integral to the storyline – be it Rudolfo, Neb, Petronus, Winters, Vlad, Jin Li Tam, or Lysias! Just an amazing saga – plain and simple...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

I finished the book today because I have to get it back to the library for the next person on the list but man so much happened that I am having a hard time keeping it straight.  I know that I am going to have to reread it again.  So many suprise endings as well as beginings.   I think that I won't be able to keep it straight until I can read the whole series at one time.  I'm very curious to see how the Neb, Winter and her sister story line plays out.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen

My biggest curiosity, I suppose, Toni, is how Ken is going to wrap this thing up. I'm particularly curious about the SF elements involved... When all is said and done – and this is pure speculation here – this could turn out to be a hard SF epic, right? The potential is definitely there.... Not that I care where Ken takes it... the possible storylines are virtually endless.

Fantasy? SF? Who cares? It's one of the best series I've ever read!!!

Paul

Bibliophile
Melhay

Thanks Paul & Toni.

I am so curious now, but I don't want to rush the reading.  I am afraid if I read to fast I will miss some of the hidden details Ken has going on.  It just amazes me how he has details needed to figure out what is going on hidden in his writing.  I LOVE IT! 

I agree with Toni though.  I am going to have to reread this whole series again straight through at some point to get the whole feel of all the books.

I have to say I always loved Vlad Li Tam.  Just the thought that someone could plan a lifetime like he and his family does just amazes me.  And his character just catches my eye, even in Lamentation I loved him too.

I can not wait to read the rest of this book and get to all the many more questions that will surface and answers to what I have already questioned.

pen21

I didn't get as far into the book as I wanted. I am around page 200.

I agree with so much that Melhay posted.

I think that Vlad's family has a lot of surprises coming.

Right now Winter is my favorite, I am waiting to see where she will lead her people.

Lots of questions, but that is just one of the reasons it is a good read.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Page 1-150: choosing a thread carefully

Okay, I am just 150 pages into the book (yeah, I had one of those weekends where my idea of what to do didn't match up with the families ~ therefore less reading than I intended.)  But, with reading and stopping it gives me a great opportunity to reflect on what I read and think on it.  So, I can not sustain myself any longer, I have to share thoughts on this book so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry about being behind, Melissa. I don't have my book yet so I haven't started. I have been browsing through our Lamentation discussion. We had a lot of speculation and comments at the end of that discussion but I have no idea if any of it turned out to be relevent yet.

Nadine

[ Edited ]

I don't know if this link has been mentioned yet, but it might be helpful since it covers a bit of history.

A Brief History of the Settlement of the Named Lands

I have no idea if any of this edit stuff works. Things sure have changed since I last posted. So here is the raw link as well.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=story&id=14042