Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes

Thanks for the link.

Nadine wrote:

I don't know if this link has been mentioned yet, but it might be helpful since it covers a bit of history.

A Brief History of the Settlement of the Named Lands

I have no idea if any of this edit stuff works. Things sure have changed since I last posted. So here is the raw link as well.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=story&id=14042

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I don't know if this link has been mentioned yet, but it might be helpful since it covers a bit of history.

I have no idea if any of this edit stuff works. Things sure have changed since I last posted. So here is the raw link as well.

Hey Nadine.  I just posted you a message over on the Lamentation thread.  I can't wait for us to get into a discussion on this one.

I have not really decided yet if any of our ideas have come to pass yet in Canticle.  There is just so much detail.  We may have been on a broader scale with our ideas, Ken is so great at getting you to the end with all the details and intricate details.  Amazing.  I can't wait to see if our thoughts play out anywhere.

Great to see you around!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Author
kenscholes

Howdy folks!  It's fun to pop in and see the gears turning as you all read through the book

I'm going to try to stick around after the 26th to stay a part of the discussion since I know some of you might not get through the book in the time I'm "officially" here.

Some good thoughts out there.  And I'm so flattered and humbled that y'all like the story so much.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

YAY! I can finally get on :smileysurprised: ! Okay, I have just started Canticle, so I'm way behind everyone it seems! I'm maybe on page 17 or something.... Mel, I will try and get a lot of reading in today when I get home. I will see if I can at least get to 150 by tomorrow and post as soon as I can :smileyhappy:

Hey, Nadine, it's good to see you around again! And Don't worry I'm right there with you... I just got my book Friday and had to finish another book I was reading before I could move on to Canticle...

Okay, lets just hope I can keep signing in :smileywink:

Ken Scholes, Guess what? One of my friends will be heading your way to get me A Signed copy of Canticle when you're in CA San Diego on NOV. 2nd! WOOT! WOOT!

Krista

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Nadine

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes: Discussion Schedule

What no discussion schedule? I guess Part 1 is page 1-150. Now how about the rest of the book?. Nice to know some good stopping points just before events move to the next level or a major surprise. Can someone who is familar with the book suggest some?

So far:

Part 1: Page 1-150

??????

Finshed Book: Spoilers

No reason why those of you who have finished the book and have it fresh in your mind have to wait for the rest of us. As long as the thread is marked, I don't see a problem.

Oh, Paul, you've had your rest and relaxation. I'm back!

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes: Finished Book (Spoilers)

This is a nice safe thread for those of you who have finished the book and are eager to talk about it.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

What no discussion schedule? I guess Part 1 is page 1-150. Now how about the rest of the book?. Nice to know some good stopping points just before events move to the next level or a major surprise. Can someone who is familar with the book suggest some?

So far:

Part 1: Page 1-150

??????

Finshed Book: Spoilers

No reason why those of you who have finished the book and have it fresh in your mind have to wait for the rest of us. As long as the thread is marked, I don't see a problem.

Oh, Paul, you've had your rest and relaxation. I'm back!

Nadine it is great to see you are back.  We have got a little lax on this one.  I was wondering about doing reading sections as well, but with it being a new release and not everyone getting their book on the release date I didn't want to push anyone to rush and read to the stop points on certain days.

I just couldn't contain myself any longer and had to post some thoughts.  There are so many thoughts going through my head while I read this book, it is great.  I have a 70 sheet notebook to write some thoughts in along with my questions as well.  I have been noting the dreams and glossolamers as well, oh and that Kin-raven bird from the end of Lamentation.

Oh, well, I just have all sorts of colored flags sticking out of my book as well.  I thought this was organized but I am starting to think I am just going to be more confused.... Nah, I got this all under control (I think).

Any great ideas for stops would be appreciated. Or we could divide the book into 3 sections.  I think knowing Ken there will always be great discussion on the happenings, there are so many great things happening the whole way through.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melissa Wrote:

I was wondering about doing reading sections as well, but with it being a new release and not everyone getting their book on the release date I didn't want to push anyone to rush and read to the stop points on certain days.

---------------------------------

We don't have to be too ridged on this one. It was easier when there were only three of us but there seems to be a lot more readers here. Some people are finished and some haven't started.  Whenever anyone reaches a stopping point, they can post to that thread and move at their own pace. Us slow starters can post and respond when we get there. People can post to any discussion thread at any time as long as they consider spoilers or mark them clearly. I think that will make for a lively discussion. We will just have a lot of threads going at the same time.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Nadine's back!!! Welcome back!!!! We've missed you – did we lose you in the system upgrade? sorry.....    :smileysad:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

You guys, I'm done with the book but if you want to do break it up, I'm fine with that. I don't care as long as we talk about the book! I've been going crazy here waiting for the crowds to arrive – I'm blaming it on the ongoing system problems (hi, Carmen!)

If we're all mostly done reading it, it could be interesting to dissect the book by pov narration – Rudolfo, Vlad Ti Lam, Winters, Neb, etc.  Or we could do what we've been doing and discussing it by chunks. What say ye???

(Nadine, Melissa and Krista are all here – I love it!)

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just floated the Lamentation thread to the top of the board to make it easier to access for those who want to check out the amazing speculation that went on last March....

Paul

New User
Tabbran

I absolutely loved Lamentation and have spent a lot of time since reading it recommending it to friends and handselling it at my store.

I'm only about 70 pages into Canticle, but I have to ask -- are the next 3 books going to be so incredibly sorrowful?  It feels like there's heartache on every page so far, even the "happy" things seem to be bittersweet at best.

This isn't to say I'm not enjoying the book, I really love this world and the characters -- I want to be Rudolfo when I grow up  -- so I'm prepared to take what I'm given.  Anyway, it shows your ability as a writer to keep my heart heavy without extending into the realm of melodrama.

Thanks!

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

You guys, I'm done with the book but if you want to do break it up, I'm fine with that. I don't care as long as we talk about the book! I've been going crazy here waiting for the crowds to arrive – I'm blaming it on the ongoing system problems (hi, Carmen!)

If we're all mostly done reading it, it could be interesting to dissect the book by pov narration – Rudolfo, Vlad Ti Lam, Winters, Neb, etc.  Or we could do what we've been doing and discussing it by chunks. What say ye???

Paul

That is the problem, Paul. Most of us haven't started it yet! I haven't, Kista hasn't, Bradinator hasn't . . .Melissa has only read the beginning. Yet there are people who have read the book, like Toni and you, who are finished and want to talk about it. And there are a lot of newcomers (at least to me) here. Everyone is reading at their own pace.

It only came out less than a week ago and many of us ordered it online and have to wait for it. Then we have to read it. That is why we were suggesting multiple threads so people could read and post as they finish sections but we would not have a set schedule. People can read and post as they reach certain sections of the book. A POV thread might be a good idea -- but I don't know yet since I don't have a book.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

That is the problem, Paul. Most of us haven't started it yet! I haven't, Kista hasn't, Bradinator hasn't . . .Melissa has only read the beginning. Yet there are people who have read the book, like Toni and you, who are finished and want to talk about it. And there are a lot of newcomers (at least to me) here. Everyone is reading at their own pace.

It only came out less than a week ago and many of us ordered it online and have to wait for it. Then we have to read it. That is why we were suggesting multiple threads so people could read and post as they finish sections but we would not have a set schedule. People can read and post as they reach certain sections of the book. A POV thread might be a good idea -- but I don't know yet since I don't have a book.

Okay, let's start at the beginning! How about the first 11 chapters? from page 1 - page 164? That was a natural "turning point" of sorts in the novel.... sound good?

Paul

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Tabbran wrote:

I absolutely loved Lamentation and have spent a lot of time since reading it recommending it to friends and handselling it at my store.

I'm only about 70 pages into Canticle, but I have to ask -- are the next 3 books going to be so incredibly sorrowful?  It feels like there's heartache on every page so far, even the "happy" things seem to be bittersweet at best.

This isn't to say I'm not enjoying the book, I really love this world and the characters -- I want to be Rudolfo when I grow up  -- so I'm prepared to take what I'm given.  Anyway, it shows your ability as a writer to keep my heart heavy without extending into the realm of melodrama.

Thanks!

From Ken's journal (10/13/09):

"CANTICLE was written and revised in the grief storm of my mother's death and my nephew's death.  I didn't think it could get harder until I found myself writing ANTIPHON through the death of my father.  Tough stuff to weather while writing my second and third novels, but some of that tough stuff lent itself to the books, I think."

Contributor
JohnAPitts

Hey folks.  John A Pitts here, of Team 4J.  I'm another of Ken's first readers and a fine friend of the Named Lands.

Good to see folks returning to this world with such enthusiasm.  I'm excited that these books just keep getting better.  Canticle is full of intrigue, deep character development, gee-whiz technology and swashbuckling adventure.

Hard to discuss things too much without being a spoiler, so I'll just pop in from time-to-time and see where I can add a word or three. :smileyhappy:

I'll be here with my peach wine, and my eyes on the skies.

John

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Okay, let's start at the beginning! How about the first 11 chapters? from page 1 - page 164? That was a natural "turning point" of sorts in the novel.... sound good?

Paul

I'm all for breaking points! It has been a crazy couple months, so it'd be nice to have a schedule of sorts going on. I will officially be starting Canticle(I'm on pg. 17 as of now) as soon as I sign off here and I hope to at least get a good chunk of reading done over the next few days.   So, if you guys are all for stopping at ch 11 then I'm game too, as well as further stopping points...

Paul, it is so good to be back and with everyone here! You were right, I can't sign in regularly I have to go through the reply route, very weird!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
pen21
0 Kudos

Breaking points work for me. Chapters 1 -11 would be fine.

Anyone for suggestions on other points to break?

It has been very hectic for me. I don't want to rush the book.

It is too good a book for that. I want to savor it and not miss things.

Pen21

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Paul

I'm all for breaking points! It has been a crazy couple months, so it'd be nice to have a schedule of sorts going on. I will officially be starting Canticle(I'm on pg. 17 as of now) as soon as I sign off here and I hope to at least get a good chunk of reading done over the next few days.   So, if you guys are all for stopping at ch 11 then I'm game too, as well as further stopping points...

Paul, it is so good to be back and with everyone here! You were right, I can't sign in regularly I have to go through the reply route, very weird!

Okay, I just passed this stopping point and can't wait to talk with you all about it.  I am going to try to keep going (can't and don't want to put the book down). 

Oh Paauullll, do you have any ideas on next stop?  It doesn't look as if I am going to get much reading done tonight with all the running I have been doing and things I have to do here.  So Krista and Nadine just may catch up with me in no time.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Breaking points work for me. Chapters 1 -11 would be fine.

Anyone for suggestions on other points to break?

It has been very hectic for me. I don't want to rush the book.

It is too good a book for that. I want to savor it and not miss things.

Pen21

Right On!!

Any ideas, theories, questions, just random thoughts you just have to share.  Please do!  We love these things.  Just mark the section in the Subject and type away.  We do this and get each other thinking. Lots of fun (at least for us).