Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes

paulgoatallen wrote:

bno wrote:

I just received my copy of Canticle and I'm looking forward to starting it tonight. Hopefully, I will be through Section One this weekend.

Welcome to the forums, bno – I'm so psyched to see new readers here! And as far as "no surprises" yet, brace yourself! without giving too much away, that's one of the many reasons why I love this saga so much. When I read fantasy series like Feist's Midkemia, Goodkind's sword of Truth, Salvatore's Drizzt, etc. it's not often that I'm just floored from a plot twist. Alot of adventure fantasy is formula/convention and, in some cases, I can almost accurately generalize the storyline from beginning to end without even reading a page. Not so with Ken's Psalms of Isaak. There were so many plot bombshells in this novel – I felt shell-shocked when I was done! So keep reading – I think you'll find yourself blissfully surprised soon enough!

We discussed this before in Lamentation and I ran across it again in Canticle, on page 108 – the blue-green moon. Do you readers think this is significant or not?     :smileyhappy:

Paul

Now Paul, you know this question will start one crazy conversation going. :smileywink:  I truely believe the blue-green moon is very, very significant in this story.  As we discussed in the Lamentation thread.

I do strongly suggest if anyone has not read the Weeping Czar short story Ken has, that YOU SHOULD!!  I think this will help with some back information.

Now on to the moon... I have noted that Ken mentions this moon several times through the book so far.  There is a center to this moon.  Everyone looks to this moon.  Now being that I am on page 240 and things are going crazy in my head and in the book I am going to stop here.  I have many things noted that I have to talk about, but I am going to finish part 2 before I start down that path. 

There is soooo much happening, and I am starting to piece some history things together. (they maybe wrong but the brain is going 90miles and hour here.)  Some things are in relation to what we thought of the moon in the Lamentation thread. (I think we may have been right?*shrugging* only Ken knows and we shall read in the future.)

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes: Section One –Chapter 1 - 10

bno wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Hey Ken this is very interesting about the songs, and from The Weeping Czar.  Thanks for the little clue as to the worlds.

I am only on page 68, yes I am a slow reader - I savier the reading and think on it as I go.  But I love how in this short amount of pages there is a short briefing as to where everyone was left off and what they have been up to till now.  But the biggest amazment to me is the way it is all blended with what the new happenings and chaos is.  The action starts right off from page 1!  You don't wait to catch us up but do it at the same time as new movements are going on.  I was not able to put this book down.  I think this weekend will be spent with many hours having my nose in this book.  I have many questions just this far into the book.  I may be posting ideas as I go with this some over the weekend.

I'm a slow reader as well. I agree that we are painlessly brought up-to-date on what has happened so far -- it is both a reminder to those of us who read Lamentation last spring and the story is a bit fuzzy now, and also to the person who is jumping into Canticle and has not read Lamentation. But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a lot of new information being shared with the reader. Or maybe it was scattered through Lamentation and I didn't pull it all together at the time. But I feel I am getting a lot of NEW information, especially on the pre-history to the events that transpired in Lamentation. I'm only up to page 54 so this might go on a bit longer. I have been marking in my book some key points that I think will be relevant. I might mention some here but I think they are too numerous to actually list -- at least at this point.

So far, though, no surprises. Unfortunately the first real grabber surprise, the attack during the feast, was reveiled in every summary of the book, including the dust jacket.

I might mention that I had a very difficult time logging on yesterday. It seems OK today -- at least I was able to get in. I hope this sort of difficulty isn't usual.

--------------------

Edit: Forgot to indicate I was on Section 1. Sorry. My Chapter 10 ends on page 161, but I guess the break is at Chapter 10.

It does look to me as well that there is a great deal more information here.  The details are a little more sharper of the why the marshers are and what they believe and a little of history as to why the feel/believe this way.  Along with the other characters as well. 

Though I do believe there is information in Lamentation that we missed.  I believe truely this is a series that I could read over and over again, and I haven't read a series that caught me that way yet.  There is so much happening in these books and underlining details that we miss that we can go back and read it all again and see that Ken was giving us the big flashing neon sign and well... we just missed it or never read into it.  I love this.  I do plan on reading this whole series again, at some point when it is complete, straight through.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes - Section One –Chapter 1 - 10

Hey Paul, Thanks for pulling those threads over from Lamentation on the moon.  You are the bestest!!  Now can we tag them?  I am still having troubles with that.

Bno, please feel free to use all the quotes you want.  We love using quotes and page numbers.  We are kind of crazy for it. :smileyhappy:  It helps pull us in here along with flipping through the book.

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Hey Paul, Thanks for pulling those threads over from Lamentation on the moon.  You are the bestest!!  Now can we tag them?  I am still having troubles with that.

Bno, please feel free to use all the quotes you want.  We love using quotes and page numbers.  We are kind of crazy for it. :smileyhappy:  It helps pull us in here along with flipping through the book.

Melissa:

I just went tag crazy. If you want me to do more just tell me exactly what you'd like and I'll do it asap.

I brought up the blue-green moon for a reason. I had some serious speculation when I fInished Canticle and I just wanted to make you aware of Ken's tantalizing symbolism as you read through.... I'm a huge fan of symbolism and I find that most writers don't take the time to create that sublime, lyrical level in their storylines. Another reason why I love Ken.

And as far as symbolism goes, I also found that – as in Lamentation – there was a bird motif throughout. and, yes, I know that birds are used as messengers in this saga but it went deeper than that for me. (The spines of both books feature birds!) Maybe I'm reading too much into it but felt as though some of the bird imagery and symbolism had to do with humankind losing its soul and trying to find it again, the loss of freedom, the loss of that which we once had.... I don't know. Are you guys finding the bird imagery significant in any way?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
bno
Contributor
bno

Whymer Maze - Symbol or Physical Reality

When I was reading Lamentation I thought of a Whymer Maze as just a saying. Now I see it is a bit more than that, especially since Hanric is being buried "at the heart" of the library Whymer Maze.

Pg 67

"A circular maze [Whymer Maze] that could only be solved by returning the way you came or enduring the pain of climbing its thorns to find its hidden secrets."

I did discover that the mazes on the inside covers of the book are physical Whymer Mazes. If you take the only entrance and way in and follow it, it takes you down every path but inevitably to the center. Once there the only way out is to retrace the way you came in.

As I recall, Whymer Mazes were mentioned quite often in Lamentation but I thought it only an idiom for "puzzle."

bno
Contributor
bno

Melhay wrote:

Okay, I am just 150 pages into the book (yeah, I had one of those weekends where my idea of what to do didn't match up with the families ~ therefore less reading than I intended.)  But, with reading and stopping it gives me a great opportunity to reflect on what I read and think on it.  So, I can not sustain myself any longer, I have to share thoughts on this book so far.

**SPOILERS***

This Kin-Raven from the Postlude in Lamentation (that has a dead master whom my have been behind destroying Windwir) has made his rounds on visiting our friends here.  Is he watching and reporting back to his master what he sees?  I think he could be.

The new metal man we have met, Charles whom had the message for Petronus.  I was wondering where he has been since the explosion of Windwir, then thought along the lines of if the Kin-ravens master may have had him.  How does this Metal man know Petronus is still alive?

I was thinking all these things then we got to Neb, Isaak, and the scouts talking to him.  HE LIED!!  How is it he lied?  Yeah I am aware that Isaak lied too in Lamentation so it is possible, but Charles should be older.  What is this Sanctorum Lux?  Isaak and Neb have thoughts on what it is that Charles may be hiding... a library.  Then I started to wonder if Charles has been working in this hidden library and is kept up with what happened and Petronus not being dead.  But this leads me to wonder how does he think that Petronus has lived this long and not died in an accident or something?  I think he has a contact that we are not aware of.  So where or to whom is he running to?  This Charles was rather banged up when he showed up at the Gate.  What has he been through?

There seems to be a lot more mechanical creatures in this story. I'm beginning to wonder if they might be the responsible parties with faulty programing and they all interconnected. But I'm a long way from the end of the book.

I do find it curious that these mechanical creatures do seem to be all damaged and not necessarily from the destruction of Windwir.

This kin-raven is a damaged messenger in the Postlude of Lamentation, heads "south" (it looks like) and lands on a scarlet sleeve (could be a mechnical since they do wear clothes), and recites the "mantra" "Thus shall the sins of P'Andro Whym be visted upon his children."

Now this new mchanical man Charles is also damaged (pg 12 - "With a click and a clack, the mechanical collapsed into a pile of steaming metal, bits of it sparking and popping."). Also the Prelude ends "High above, a kin-raven circled." my feeling is that there are many kin-ravens around since they show up frequently and are a network of watchers or spys.

Charles may be working on old information since he seems to be delivering a late message to the "hidden" pope saying the library has fallen. Whoever was responsible for the destruction Windwir probably was trying to destroy the library. The mechnicals, at least some of them, probably have some sort of built in programing to "save the light."

paulgoatallen

bno wrote:

When I was reading Lamentation I thought of a Whymer Maze as just a saying. Now I see it is a bit more than that, especially since Hanric is being buried "at the heart" of the library Whymer Maze.

Pg 67

"A circular maze [Whymer Maze] that could only be solved by returning the way you came or enduring the pain of climbing its thorns to find its hidden secrets."

I did discover that the mazes on the inside covers of the book are physical Whymer Mazes. If you take the only entrance and way in and follow it, it takes you down every path but inevitably to the center. Once there the only way out is to retrace the way you came in.

As I recall, Whymer Mazes were mentioned quite often in Lamentation but I thought it only an idiom for "puzzle."

The Whymer Maze was another great symbol throughout... and, yes, bno, I noted the line "A circular maze that could only be solved by returning the way you came or enduring the pain of climbing its thorns to find its hidden secrets" as well – except I had it on page 69, not 67. Maybe it was because I have an ARC. I loved the extended symbolism behind the maze – it's like life – no matter how serpentine or hopeless it seems, you have to follow the path to achieve your goals... And, of course, nothing in life is easy or predictable – as is the case with just abour every single character's adventures in Canticle!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

It's even referenced in a blurb!

"As intricate as a Whymer maze, Ken Scholes' Lamentation will keep the reader up until the wee hours, winding through this splendid labyrinth.  Bravo!"

-- Dennis L. McKiernan, bestselling author of the Mithgar series

bno
Contributor
bno
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes

Tabbran wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

From Ken's journal (10/13/09):

"CANTICLE was written and revised in the grief storm of my mother's death and my nephew's death.  I didn't think it could get harder until I found myself writing ANTIPHON through the death of my father.  Tough stuff to weather while writing my second and third novels, but some of that tough stuff lent itself to the books, I think." 

I did see that just after I posted, and the color and tone of the new novel is definitely influenced.  It isn't a bad thing, I just want to know if I should head to Costco and buy some Kleenex :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the warning. I'm still reading the first section and things are looking very bleak for everyone -- and I mean virtually everyone. It is totally depressing. But it keeps me reading. I figure something has to change for the better soon. I can't see how it possibly could get worse,

bno
Contributor
bno

Have you also noted the reoccurring reference to the "rising red sun" in some form or other in almost every POV. I think we are being told something. :smileywink:

New User
Tabbran
0 Kudos

bno wrote:

Have you also noted the reoccurring reference to the "rising red sun" in some form or other in almost every POV. I think we are being told something. :smileywink:

This is clearly Krypton!

Author
kenscholes

Howdy folks!  Good to see the wheels spinning as you all dig into the latest volume!

I know today is technically my last day but since most of you are still in the midst of the book, I'm going to extend my stay so I can tackle questions.  Since I'm going to be getting a bit busy over the next week, I'll try to pop in but if a mess of unanswered questions sit for too long I'm asking Paul to do me the favor of dropping me an email to re-focus me.  :smileyhappy: 

I"m in the last bits of Antiphon revisions.  I think it's going well.  It largely closes out a lot of the unfinished business in Canticle, I think, and sets us up for the final act in the Psalms of Isaak.  Once I'm done with

Today, I'm heading to Seattle at University Books.  Tomorrow, I'm back in Portland at Powell's.  Then, Wednesday, I fly to California for several appearances.  I'm touring with the Utterly Talented and Lovely Kate Elliott.  I'll also be at the World Fantasy Convention.  Check my site for details and if any of you are around those areas, please introduce yourself.

Oh, and I suspect the red rising sun is just repeated a bit too much and not caught by me in the revisions and copyedits.  I'm discovering I have phrases that get stuck on replay as I'm writing.  But it could also be some unconcious symbolism and telegraphing for a crimson revelation in the book (can't recall where.)

I'm looking forward to more interaction here!  You're a great group....

Bibliophile
Melhay

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Melissa:

I just went tag crazy. If you want me to do more just tell me exactly what you'd like and I'll do it asap.

I brought up the blue-green moon for a reason. I had some serious speculation when I fInished Canticle and I just wanted to make you aware of Ken's tantalizing symbolism as you read through.... I'm a huge fan of symbolism and I find that most writers don't take the time to create that sublime, lyrical level in their storylines. Another reason why I love Ken.

And as far as symbolism goes, I also found that – as in Lamentation – there was a bird motif throughout. and, yes, I know that birds are used as messengers in this saga but it went deeper than that for me. (The spines of both books feature birds!) Maybe I'm reading too much into it but felt as though some of the bird imagery and symbolism had to do with humankind losing its soul and trying to find it again, the loss of freedom, the loss of that which we once had.... I don't know. Are you guys finding the bird imagery significant in any way?

Paul

Hey Paul.  I just finished the section ending chapter 17.  I think the bird motif is very important.  Remember as well there are different birds used.  Yes, of course, many of them are the same but there are a few different birds that make an appearance here as well.  You have the typical messenger bird, Vlads bird specially bred to find Jin, the bird that Vlad owned that was lost then was given by him to Petronus, and the Kin-raven.  I am sure there are a few others around as well, but these are the ones I can remember.

I kind of like the symnolism created in the colors.  What each thread means in color, along with any knots.

There is many symbolisms used here in these books.  The cutting, and so much more.

Bibliophile
Melhay

bno wrote:

Pg 67

This maze is a big thing.  The Androfr. us it as a calming technic, kind of a trans type thing.

But it is mentioned in this book as no exit except one.  You have to take the whole path in and retrace your steps to come out.  This sounds like a very BIG clue to the books themselves.  Everyone has to trace these steps and the only way out for them is the way they came in.  Hmmm, what does that mean to everyone?  How far back do the steps go? Generations?

Now I am going to have to think on this thought I just created...

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes - Section One –Chapter 11 - 17

bno wrote:

I believe Rudolfo references Jin Li Tam as the rising red sun and his son as the moon.  I think of when Rudolfo and Jin first met and he told her she was his rising sun.  Then when the baby is born he calls him his rising moon.  Is there a reference for Jin and Jakob here in the sun and moon?  I am starting to think so.

Now that I have read through CHAPTER 17....

Jakob is to be some guidance to save "them" from something....  I think it is related to the marshers finding home or the war that will come before they find home.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes - Section 2 –Chapter 11 - 17&Weeping Czar

Okay, I am through the 2nd section thru ch17 & I went back and reread The Weeping Czar.  I do have to say now the Weeping Czar makes a little bit more sense to me with the books.

I am starting to think, as well, that Vlad Li Tam is in some way related or a decendant of someones.  Maybe Frederico or Carnelyin.  There are a lot of similarities here.

Frederico has:

• many wives
  • uses the term House Y'Zir
  • Kallaberry wine
  • feels despair

I have related all these things to Vlad - many wives, House..., smokes Kallaberry, and is wanted to feel dispair by Ria for what his family has done. (Frederico feels dispair for what his family financed for Carnelyin to go to the moon and bring back and torture the 1st daughter of Y'Zir.)

Or since Frederico worked with the shippers Guild to find Amal so closely could this be the relation to Vlad?  Since Vlads family were shippers before they were bankers.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes - Section 2 –Chapter 11 - 17&Weeping Czar

I do strongly believe that Y'Zir and the Marshers along with Machtvolk are from the moon they are seeing from the Named Lands.

1.) the moon is distictly described in both the book and the short story as the same descriptions.

2.) Amal Y'Zir's father thinks she loves a Machtvolk boy. (so the Machtvolk/Marshers are from here.)

3.) Raj Y'Zir threatens to fall upon Frederico & shake the foundations of the world and to have his physicians cut him for his pleasure. 

I was wondering by #3 if the Gypsies are the physicians and from this moon as well.  They are big on the cutting tortures - they have the torture salt knives. (which Ria is also using) ???

But, here is the big But...  But, with Neb to be finding the "way home" for the Marshers, could this be he will find the pool that connects the moon and the earth?  In Weeping Czar Amal mentions she found the pool in a cave deep beneath Amal's father's tower that she could swim to get to Frederico, but it went through the Beneath Places.  Could this be part of what Neb is to find?  Or is he to find the pieces of the craft that took Carnelyin to the moon the first time and use the knowledge of the metal men to put it together again?

Just a big maybe thought....  What are your thoughts?

Bibliophile
Melhay

Paul,

I wanted to thank you for all the tags!  Great!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

Howdy folks!  Good to see the wheels spinning as you all dig into the latest volume!

I know today is technically my last day but since most of you are still in the midst of the book, I'm going to extend my stay so I can tackle questions.  Since I'm going to be getting a bit busy over the next week, I'll try to pop in but if a mess of unanswered questions sit for too long I'm asking Paul to do me the favor of dropping me an email to re-focus me.  :smileyhappy: 

I"m in the last bits of Antiphon revisions.  I think it's going well.  It largely closes out a lot of the unfinished business in Canticle, I think, and sets us up for the final act in the Psalms of Isaak.  Once I'm done with

Today, I'm heading to Seattle at University Books.  Tomorrow, I'm back in Portland at Powell's.  Then, Wednesday, I fly to California for several appearances.  I'm touring with the Utterly Talented and Lovely Kate Elliott.  I'll also be at the World Fantasy Convention.  Check my site for details and if any of you are around those areas, please introduce yourself.

Oh, and I suspect the red rising sun is just repeated a bit too much and not caught by me in the revisions and copyedits.  I'm discovering I have phrases that get stuck on replay as I'm writing.  But it could also be some unconcious symbolism and telegraphing for a crimson revelation in the book (can't recall where.)

I'm looking forward to more interaction here!  You're a great group....

Hey Ken!  Glad to see you will be popping in every once in a while here.  Thanks for sticking around!  I think we are just getting going on the discussion.  We are really reading for detail and connection here.  You have so many wonderful "things" tied into this book; symbolism, mystery, fantasy, so many happenings.  Loving it!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #1: Canticle by Ken Scholes: Question for Ken

[ Edited ]

kenscholes wrote:

Howdy all!

Nadine, I was unaware of the delay on Canticle's audio version.  I've got a note out asking about it.  I was pretty sure it had a Oct 13 pub date, too.  I'll let you know.

As to the plotting -- I do have the Big Picture ending in mind and (for Melhay) I have the rough sketch of where all the individual threads are heading and how they form up into that Big Picture.  I know who comes out scathed, unscathed and who (alas) doesn't make it in the end...and roughly the things that have to happen.  But the actual details of how, within each book, they get there...those are showing up organically as I write.

I don't have a written outline at this point though I'm taking down notes here and there.  And I keep it straight partly because the publishing process lets me spend time in the previous books while working on the present book.  I'm revising Antiphon just ahead of starting Requiem; I'll copyedit Antiphon while drafting Requiem.  That keeps the story fresh in mind while I spin the next leg.  And for whatever reason, I just seem to have an aptitude for keeping it all straight in my head.  Though I'm willing to bet a dozen doughnuts that when it's all said and done, there will be errors and omissions. 

That will leave room Someday (I hope I hope) for The Psalms of Isaak Definitive Edition.  ; )

Ah, good, Ken you have the ending in your head. That means we can now start speculating. I've got a few ideas -- well, they are all centered on the "Big Controller." Somebody seems to be controlling all these events and I don't think it is Vlad.

I'm glad you are keeping a "rough" outline. But I don't see how you are keeping track of all these various threads. Every POV brings a new twist to the plot and complicates the Big Mystery even more. I can't keep track of everying and have to do a lot of going back and rereading. Maybe that is why I'm so far behind in my reading. By the time I'm up to the final book I should be close to going crazy.

Ah, ha. The Definitive Edition. I'm sure we will find some inconsistancies for you -- or are they really!