Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Colf
0 Kudos

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever

I had read reviews of this series for years, all of them positive, so I decided to give the series a try. Like an idiot I purchased all three books in the original series at once as I had a gift card. I tried so hard to get into the first book "Lord Foul's Bane" and managed to get about 3/4 of the way through it but I just can't do it. I find that the title character, the "heroe" of this series is completely unlikable and loathsome. I can't see anything redeaming that opinion.

(spoiler ahead) I mean he rapes a young girl in the begining of this book and after that I just hate the guy. Not to mention the bitterness, cowardice and tantrums. I can understand a character having an arc but there has to be something to relate you, the reader, to him so you will care. Is it me? Should I try and slog through the rest of this book and maybe start on the next one???

New User
Vareal_Stormbringer
0 Kudos

Re: The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever

I understand exactly what you mean I have read all 6 books( the fist and second chronicles) but what you have to remember is that your not supposed to sympathies with Thomas or Spoiler ahead the unbeliever as he is called this book is one of the only book's that I have read were you are actually encouraged to hate the main character and let me tell you I all most gave up after book 4( the one tree) but once you finish both chronicles you will realize why it had to be that way Spoiler ahead at least Foil gets his in the end

Vareal_stormbringer

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

"Lord Foul's Bane" is easy the worst book in that series.
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

You are correct, Thomas Covenant is the most annoying, whiney main character ever created. That said, the peripheral characters and story are pretty good. He's certainly at his worst in that book. Thamas Covenant is a long standing joke in my circle of friends, if you "whine" too much, you're pulling a "Covenant". Just push on to the next book it's worth it (especially since you already bought the series, lol)

B.

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

I've tried reading this series no less than three times, and I've never gotten more than halfway through the first book. I'm so glad the only time I actually bought the books, I got them at a used bookstore. I don't know what happened to them. I hope I spared some other poor sucker and just threw the things away or used them in the fireplace.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hmmm, it's been several decades since I read them, but I did read the entire series and enjoyed it.  Don't ask me any details now, though!:smileywink:

Oh, I just looked it up, and I see that he has started another 4-volume series in the Chronicles.  I haven't read those, just the first two series (six books).

I also read a 2-volume series called Mordant's Need, comprised of The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through, which I also enjoyed very much, even more than the Chronicles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Re: The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever: Spoiler Alert in defense of the story :)

I was happy to see this series get a topic here, since it has been so long since it came out. I am even more surprised that so many didn't like it! I admit the beginning was depressing...how many ways can a guy's life fall apart? He earned the title Unbeliever due to his continual stating that he was in a drug induced nightmare. There are times in my life that I was so miserable that I wished I could wake up in a different reality, so the initial premise appealled to me. Actually, his continual assertion that everyone was a product of his illness made me laugh ; they just thought that that his 'rebirth' had affected his mind and that he would 'remember' who he was eventually. It is such dark irony that he keeps telling the truth, while everyone keeps treating him like a reborn hero...and he really isn't cut out for the job! Eventually he does decide to 'give in to his delusions" and the whining is only an occasional complaint that he really isn't Berek Half-hand. I really liked the world-building skills of Donaldson. He details the area so well that I could envision it in my minds eye, which really increases my enjoyment of a book. An Atlas of the Land actually was published to my great delight and sits happily next to my series. You have to like dark fantasy to enjoy this series; things get better and worse as they do in all great questing stories. I would encourage all of you to give it another try. :smileyhappy: For comparison...has anyone read the Farseer Chronicles by Robin Hobb? Fantastic world building! However, the story made me so mad that I threw the book across the room 3 times per volume. The books belonged to my son and he threatened to take them away if I couldn't behave. :smileysurprised: Nine volume series that fascinated and irritated me to the end! Hopefully I have encouraged courageous readers to give Covenant a chance to redeem himself.
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever: Spoiler Alert in defense of the story :)

Covenant is one of the most unlikeable main characters ever created.

Yet there is something compelling about the world, the other characters, and the story.

I'm re-reading it for the first time in years, with plans of going all the way through to the newer ones, which I haven't read yet.

Definitely a darker tale than some prefer.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Many books have deeply flawed protagonists, but this whiny self-pitying creep just goes way beyond the pale.  It becomes impossible to root for him in any way.  I think someone else commented that after a while you start rooting for the leprosy to win.  I found him too unlikeable to enjoy the series.

Correspondent
Yatta99
0 Kudos

Reminded me a lot of Holden Caulfield. Maybe they're related? :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the Covenant books thoroughly. The current series really hasn't been up to par. It kinda feels like Donaldson is just writing to make money. Nonetheless I've stayed with the series to see what happens. The last book, The Final Dark, is supposed to be out this year. I will read it.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

This series was probably the closest I've ever come to being a dependent drug abuser.  I first started reading it during midterm exams in college, finishing the third book during finals.  It was the most depressing, aggravating, addictive series I've ever read.  I think I wanted to go John Wayne on Thomas one-third of the way through the book ("I'm not gonna hit ya, I'm not gonna hit ya ..." <boom>).

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed