paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Hobbit Movie is Just Three Months Away!!!! (12/14/12)

[ Edited ]
The Hobbit opens in theatres on December 14th. How many of you are excited about this and are planning on seeing it opening weekend?

Honestly, I a little peeved that the powers that be stretched it into a trilogy – the story is nowhere near as complex as LOTR but I understand it from a monetary perspective.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Poster
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: The Hobbit Movie is Just Three Months Away!!!! (12/14/12)

I don't go to the theater often, but I might for The Hobbit. I hope they do a good job with this book. A trilogy seems a little stretched out to me. But I am hoping for the best and that I will love this movie as much as I loved LOTR.

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

If I go, I'm wearing these.....

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21

paulgoatallen wrote:

If I go, I'm wearing these.....

Paul, the feet are the best. I will wear this costume.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I'll wait until Peter Jackson has completed all 17 of the eventual series, and then set aside a month to watch them all.

Seriously, he thinks the Hobbit needs to be as long as the entire LOTR?  Wrong.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I'll wait until Peter Jackson has completed all 17 of the eventual series, and then set aside a month to watch them all.

Seriously, he thinks the Hobbit needs to be as long as the entire LOTR?  Wrong.

Agreed. Could've – and should've – been a three hour movie. End of story.

RHWright

Word on the street is that it's not a Hobbit trilogy so much as a Hobbit and other stuff that happened pre-LOTR trilogy. Stuff pulled from the appendix of LOTR and otherwise filled in. So, I'm not so bothered.

Anything to keep Jackson from making another King Kong movie.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Now, now.  King Kong was a lot better than The Lovely Bones.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Ha! I'll second that!   :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

I am Asst Mgr at the small town theater I work at and we don't get all the best movies.  However, the mgr thinks that we will get The Unexpected Journey!!  Since Middle Earth is the fantasy world I would choose to live in, this made do an undignified happy dance and lots of cheering.  She is more of the Muggle persuasion, so I had to explain to her that Tolkien was an Oxford professor who invented languages for his fantasy stories.  And that ROTK  won the Academy Award for Best Picture and this is the same director.  Which translates into lots and lots of $$$$ for the theater.   Lots of $$$ she understands.  She thinks I'm kinda crazy, but the owner likes my enthusiasm.  :smileyhappy:

I just read today on the Empire site that the second movie is named The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.  Then the last one will be There and Back Again.  There is lots of cool stuff in the Appendices, so I am happy about this whole expanding of Middle Earth.  

Then Peter Jackson needs to read the Silmarillion.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Footballbutterfly

I am so excited to see it!  However, I full expect to walk out feeling betrayed and angry about some parts of the movie.  I mean, watching the elves show up at Helm's Deep and the death of Haldir were drops in the bucket until he killed off Saruman instead of having him go back to the Shire.  But I am not bitter...LOL.  I am going to reserve judgment until I see The Hobbit.

Author of YA Epic Fantasy Series ESTELAN and the adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Emerald Seer Series (as Violet Patterson)
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I'm not at all disappointed that they went with a trilogy since Jackson had always intended to tell more than just The Hobbit.  Note that Jackson was the one who convinced The Powers That Be to make it a trilogy and he had always intended it to be more than a single movie due to the story he wanted to tell.  He's expanded the story to include all the contemporaneous happenings documented in the appendix of TLOTR and Tolkien's notes (although he's likely had to take considerable artistic license since many of the notes are incomplete from a storyteller's point of view).

In many ways, he needs to include that backstory of just what Gandalf was doing on his many disappearances and how Thorin's expedition fit in the context of the overall story of Sauron's reawakening unless he chooses Tolkien's original approach of telling a smaller simpler children's story.  I don't think this latter approach works well today given how many people have now been exposed to the larger story.

I thought the omission of Tom Bombadil in the movie trilogy was acceptable if disappointing to many because Tom just wasn't really germane to the storyline.  His character added little to the understanding of the story.

I am troubled more by the depictions of the dwarves.  Their costuming seems to directly contradict the bright colors described by Tolkien and the hairstyling just seems odd to me.  Having said that, those are minor points

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

I know I haven't been around F&S in a while, but I am super excited about The Hobbit.  This story was my introduction to the middle world and the world of the Tolkien. It started with the cartoon version back in the 80's that I watched with my kids and then through their junior high years as each of them read The Hobbit in 8th grade.  Of course we all progressed to the Trilogy of TLOTR from there, but my first love was the Hobbits.  

I'm a grandma now and The Hobbit Cartoon is still the into the The Tolkien world for the grandkids.  I can hardly wait to see the movie rendition of the book.  I'm even excited that they chose to turn it into a trilogy. There is just no way to get the entire story into one 2 hour movie.  What would you leave out?

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

If I'm being honest here, the ONLY SF/fantasy novels turned into movies that I haven't been bitterly disappointed with has been the LOTR trilogy. So, I'm cautiously optimistic here – hoping it's great, fully prepared for it to be "eh."

Contributor
David_Burrows
0 Kudos

It's next week!!

David Burrows
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings
http://davidburrows.org.uk/
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss

My computer died a month after I made the original post here!  So now that we have this new used one, I come back to see that the thread didn't go on much longer.  My theater didn't get the movie...had to go to the competition.  SIGH... but I went for a birthday celebration with Middle Earth fans, so it was good.  I didn't watch the 3D version, cause I heard from a fellow employee that it was disappointing.  He watched it 3 times, so I trusted his opinion.  :smileyhappy:  I was happy with it...loved the eagles!  

pen21

I never did get to the theater to see the movie. But I did buy it when it came out. I did like the movie. But I was very upset where they ended it. And now I have to wait for the next one, no that is two movies. I now wished I would have just waited and watched them all together on DVD.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I was happy that I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

pen21 wrote:

I never did get to the theater to see the movie. But I did buy it when it came out. I did like the movie. But I was very upset where they ended it. And now I have to wait for the next one, no that is two movies. I now wished I would have just waited and watched them all together on DVD.

I never got to see this in theaters either.  My husband went without me when I was out of town (UGH!).  But, you are making me think I should wait until I can watch them all.  I still have not figured out how they made it into 3 movies.  It is not that long of a book.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

MADIS wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I never got to see this in theaters either.  My husband went without me when I was out of town (UGH!).  But, you are making me think I should wait until I can watch them all.  I still have not figured out how they made it into 3 movies.  It is not that long of a book.

They've expanded some characters (Radagast, for example, whimsically played by former Doctor Who, Sylvester McCoy).  There are also things from the LOTR footnotes that are fleshed out.  The Hobbit book had brief references to Gandalf worrying that "The Necromancer" (later identified as Sauron) is starting to stir again.  That's expanded and fleshed out.