Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: MARCH FEATURE #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes

[ Edited ]

JohnAPitts wrote:

Hello.  John Pitts here.  I'm a member of Ken's Team 4J.

I've read almost everything Ken has written, much less published. :smileyhappy:

I'm lucky enough to read all of this series as it is being created.  It's amazing stuff.  You are going to love, love Canticle (and Antiphon)... Of course, I'm confident in the whole series, but I haven't read what he hasn't written.

Great stuff.

Hi John, Nice to meet one of the Js. Welcome to the group. Too bad you can't jump in and "play" with us but you know too much. But you could share some of your views on the non-plot related issues.

You are in a unique position in that you are part of the project as a friend and reader but not an active member of the actual production of the books. Can you share with us some of your experiences and observation of the process as a unique observer?

Message Edited by Nadine on 03-13-2009 01:35 PM
Nadine
0 Kudos

We have actually had a lot more discussion on this book than in this thread -- before the book was released. I thought some of the people might be interested in this earlier thread and Ken's first visit to the board, especially those who are new to the discussion. I had forgotten about this one, but it has some additional material that I am going to look through picking out nuggets of information. Original interview in October.
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:

Found Beth's message and she said ARC's come out sometime in April or early May and the book comes out sometime in June or July.  I'm just hoping we get a first read when the ARC's come out so Paul doesn't get to spend a few month's gloating over the fact that he is getting an ARC.  Not that he shouldn't get one I just want to gloat with him.

Toni

A "First Look" board for Canticle would not only be good early peek at the next book (especially for those of us anxious for the next installment) but the fact that it would attract people from different genre. It would be a lively and interesting discussion to see the unique perspective coming from a non-Fantasy/SF background..

Message Edited by Nadine on 03-13-2009 04:15 PM
Contributor
JohnAPitts

It's interesting.  I first met Ken just after my daughter was born.  We were both in the same writer's workshop and got to be fast friends.

We've always supported one another in our writing and our lives in general.

Ken and I collaborated on one story which we published in www.forteanbureau.com and share our work with one another to this day.

So, I've watched his growth as a writer over the years.  He has a unique voice, that you are discovering, and a keen eye for story and character.

His life colors his work.  One of the strongest aspects of his voice is the trust he instills in the reader.

I'm looking forward to watching his career and his stories reach an ever widening audience.

Anything particular you'd like me to talk to?

Nadine
0 Kudos

JohnAPitts wrote:

Ken and I collaborated on one story which we published in www.forteanbureau.com and share our work with one another to this day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There Once was a Girl from Nantucket by Ken Scholes and John A. Pitts

You guys come up with some great titles! I guess we can't quote any of the original limericks connected with the title here since they tend to be a "bit" bawdy. The B&N censor never sleeps! I don't like to read online so I printed it out to read later.

I noticed that this was for a magazine called Speculative Fiction. You know I really like Speculative Fiction as the name for a genre that now has movable boundaries. I know that people are used to Science Fiction or Fantasy, but the name of a genre also tends to be creatively restrictive. And the works, like Lamentation, might be criticized for not sticking rigidly to the rules. 

Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

Re: MARCH FEATURE #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes *spoilers*

I'll definitely point to it when it comes out -- it'll be out in print, in a DAW anthology about heroes.  I think in June.
Author
kenscholes

Nice observation!  Today, I'm finally getting the rest of my library up on shelves I put together yesterday.  Plato is in one of those boxes so I'll have to do some refreshing.

But indeed, the Androfrancines are a group of humanists who have made preserving and understanding the "light" of human accomplishment and knowledge the center point of their mission.  By giving it that structure and encouraging a sense of the sacred, they've been able to shepherd the Named Lands for two millenia...until now.

Author
kenscholes

Hi Carmen:  Yes, Winters becomes a main character with her own scenes starting in Canticle and moving throughout the series.  I really like her as a character myself.

Hi Nadine:  I enjoy your thoughtful speculations!  Keep 'em up!  :smileyhappy:

Author
kenscholes

Hi Nadine,

There really wasn't a single book or event.  But there were many.  Lots and lots of books.  Lots and lots of events.  Then all of it compressed over time and then processed and shown to the world through the lens of fiction at mostly a subconcious level.  Certainly my history degree and my time spent studying and practicing a religion and its history during my clergy dayswere major influences.

Speaking of those days....  Next week, I'm returning to the town where I went to college.  It's also the town where I pastored a church.  It'll be interesting hanging out up there.  I'll be speaking at the university at an informal luncheon of history majors organized by a former professor of mine who is a SF/F reader.  Then gathering up with some of the writers in the area, giving a reading and a signing at the local bookstore and visiting some of my old stomping grounds.

It should be an interesting and fun time!

Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:  Just grinning.  I think you folks will enjoy where we're headed with Canticle and Antiphon and the rest.....
Author
kenscholes

Vlad Li Tam was another character in the book that surprised me quite nicely.  So he also gets his own scenes with more regularity in the rest of the series.  (This emerging pattern may be why these kinds of books grow in size as the series progresses...we writers constantly being surprised by characters who take on live of their own and wanted their stories added to those of the other characters.)

One of my thoughts to the side (which may or may not come into fruition) is that I may take some of these secondary characters and do some standalone work with them in books that mesh into the Psalms of Isaak nicely.  For instance, in Lamentation we have Grymlis and Lysias.  They come back in Canticle still as secondary but they could be strong protagonists at some later time.  And in Canticle, I introduce Esarov, Rafe Merrique and Renard -- also characters that seem to want their own time in the spotlight at some point.  But I'm meticulously keeping those parts of the story on the sidelines until I've finished the last book in this particular story arc.  Then, I can go back and write books that took place during the same time as the events Rudolfo and the gang were in the midst of....

I continue to be delighted and intrigued as I read all your thoughts on the book.  And it's encouraging and enthusing me as I think through the last third of Antiphon.

Author
kenscholes

Ken is probably chuckling over all our analysis. But he did mention that his book was part mystery. And the series is half written and, since it is finite story that seems to be well planned out to his known ending, I think clues (and red herring) has already been dropped into this first book. He is still just inventing the details of how he gets there. So there has to be "method" in all of this.

I AM chuckling in a delighted sort of way.  I always thought talking about my work with other writers and my first readers was satisfying and fun but to be in on this conversation is truly a new high point.  I love seeing the thoughts and speculations unfold. 

And some of this is planned in advance and some of this is figured out in hindsight as I look at the previous book while crafting the next....

Author
kenscholes

I am having a hoot, Mel.  And I'm hoping that after March has passed that you will all show up from time to time with more discussion and questions over at my LJ.  And hopefully, I'll be invited back to the forum with Canticle, though I know I'll have Very Small People to tend during that time in addition to books to write etc. 

We're due in August and the book comes out in October.... 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Found Beth's message and she said ARC's come out sometime in April or early May and the book comes out sometime in June or July.  I'm just hoping we get a first read when the ARC's come out so Paul doesn't get to spend a few month's gloating over the fact that he is getting an ARC.  Not that he shouldn't get one I just want to gloat with him.

Toni:

Well, I think gloating is the wrong word. I reviewed Lamentation months ago for another publication and, as I said last fall, I HAD to tell you guys about it because I knew that it was going to be not only a blockbuster book but also one that irrevocably changed the landscape of SF/fantasy. 

And was I right?  The thing I loved about Lamentation – and any great work of fiction, for that matter – is the depth of the narrative. I like to compare storylines to tapestries and the very best stories have multiple layers, hundreds of threads, themes and motifs that may not even be realized after one reading. Following this forum thread has made that totally clear to me – Lamentation should definitely be read more than once. I am going to start reading it again next week!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
kenscholes

Hey John's here!  Woot!  Nice to see you, pal.

John's a founding member of Team4J -- and the first.  Jay, Jen and Jerry all showed up later.  He was my first writing friend EVER and close enough that we just consider each other family now.  When we met, we were both writing short stories and trying to break into print. 

He's also a Tor author, so for those of you who enjoy urban fantasy, keep an eye out for Black Blade Blues...coming soon!

He reads everything I write usually as I'm writing it.  His keen eye is part of Lamentation's success.  Team4J is pretty amazing that way.  And more than that:  They all provide great support to me in Every Day Living.  Best and closest friends I've ever had.

He and I have a collaboration out on the web -- a story we wrote back in 2005ish.  http://www.forteanbureau.com/archives/december_2005/there_once_w.html

Glad you're here, John!

Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

Canticle should hit stores in October.  :smileyhappy:

Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

Heh.  Great minds think alike.  I just posted a link to "There Once Was a Girl..." and now I see you beat me to it yesterday! 

Thanks pal.  It continues to be an honor to have your eye on my life and my writing.  And an honor to have my eye on your life and writing, too.

Author
kenscholes

Oh, and many of my friends show up in the series sometimes conciously, sometimes not.  For instance, Petronus is a mashup of me and  another J, Jerry.  Another J (Jay) shows up in Canticle as Esarov the Democrat.  Jin Li Tam looks an awful lot like my wife Jen, only taller and much handier with knives. 

In John's instance, he drew the short stick and didn't survive the first book, alas.  Any guesses?

Oh, and when writing Neb I used John's son Patrick as a loose character model.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

One of my thoughts to the side (which may or may not come into fruition) is that I may take some of these secondary characters and do some standalone work with them in books that mesh into the Psalms of Isaak nicely.  For instance, in Lamentation we have Grymlis and Lysias.  They come back in Canticle still as secondary but they could be strong protagonists at some later time.  And in Canticle, I introduce Esarov, Rafe Merrique and Renard -- also characters that seem to want their own time in the spotlight at some point.  But I'm meticulously keeping those parts of the story on the sidelines until I've finished the last book in this particular story arc.  Then, I can go back and write books that took place during the same time as the events Rudolfo and the gang were in the midst of....

I continue to be delighted and intrigued as I read all your thoughts on the book.  And it's encouraging and enthusing me as I think through the last third of Antiphon.

In reading Lamentation;even thought Grymlis and Lysias had small parts, yet important at times, they did seem to have a lot of history and knowledge that could be greatly shared.  They would make nice books to go back to.

I am glad you are enjoying our comments on the book and also glad to here it is encouraging to think through the last third of Antiphon.  Thanks!!!

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

I am having a hoot, Mel.  And I'm hoping that after March has passed that you will all show up from time to time with more discussion and questions over at my LJ.  And hopefully, I'll be invited back to the forum with Canticle, though I know I'll have Very Small People to tend during that time in addition to books to write etc. 

We're due in August and the book comes out in October.... 

I would be delighted to stop by you LJ to join in the discussions and with questions.  Thanks for inviting us.  I found the link on your website, I will have to visit some time.

I think you would be more than welcome to come visit us for Canticle.  You have so many of us waiting at the edge of our seat for the next one, we would love to also talk it over with you.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/