Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Lamentation by Ken Scholes: The Weeping czar

Sorry but the library doesn't have any of the April books but they have the book your talking about for May.  So I will proably just lurk through April and be back in the May discussion.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

A Canticle for Leibowitz as a featured book in May would be great. This is definitely a book for discussion and on many levels. Yes, please do!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

I have started A Canticle for Leibowitz as one of my Apcalyptic books for April because it was mentioned often here and is one of Paul's all time favorite books. I would be willing to read and discuss the Mistborn series if you guys think it has enough substance in it to make for a decent discussion. Or we could could select one of the books Paul has featured for this month. I have been waiting to see which of the three might emerge as a discussion possibility but I'm sure whatever we pick (and maybe we can add more interested members to our core group) will be center of discussion. Any recommendations? Hey Paul, you picked them! Which would you think we might enjoy discussing the most -- and you?

Nadine:

Geez, I'd love to read A Canticle for Leibowitz again! What do you think about featuring it in May? (Just a thought.... and it's a GUARANTEED great read like Lamentation and talk about deeply profound narrative threads – there's tons of conversational fodder here, like Lamentation.)

The April apocalyptic titles are all good  – I've already read the Gibson release and am just starting Forstchen's One Second After – but are they on the scale of Ken's book? Well, that's a virtually impossible comparison to live up to. Which ones would you like to discuss? Well, One Second After is a good old fashioned end of the world as we know it thriller. It would be interesting to speculate on the realism and believability of this version of Armageddon... The Unincorporated Man is intriguing. The authors, brothers, have never published anything else so this just like Lamentation – a much-heralded debut by relative unknowns. This novel takes a much more "intellectual" look at post-apocalyptic Earth – socially, politically, economically, etc. If I had to guess which one had more depth, I'd say The Unincorporated Man but I haven't read it yet so it'll be like opening up a box of (apocalyptic) chocolates!

Paul 

Nadine
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
A Canticle for Leibowitz as a featured book in May would be great. This is definitely a book for discussion and on many levels. Yes, please do!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine:

Geez, I'd love to read A Canticle for Leibowitz again! What do you think about featuring it in May? (Just a thought.... and it's a GUARANTEED great read like Lamentation and talk about deeply profound narrative threads – there's tons of conversational fodder here, like Lamentation.)

Paul 

Paul, Joseph in the Spirituality and Religion board might have come up with a good "theme" for your May selections: Religion in Science Fiction. A Canticle for Liebowitz is one of his recommended books on the subject.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Paul, Joseph in the Spirituality and Religion board might have come up with a good "theme" for your May selections: Religion in Science Fiction. A Canticle for Liebowitz is one of his recommended books on the subject.

Nadine:

I love it! I'm going to post the new April feature threads tonight and then, maybe tomorrow, I'll post a thread about the upcoming features for May, June, etc.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Paul, you have so many positive responses for Canticle and it sounds like a classic. I just checked, and I would be able to join you for this too.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Author
kenscholes

Hey Everyone!  Thanks for a great month!  I've really enjoyed spending this time with you and I'm so glad you've enjoyed my first novel.  CANTICLE is coming soon and I'm getting ready to knock out the last bit of ANTIPHON.  The series is well underway.

I appreciate the warm welcome and I hope to be back in the Fall.  Meanwhile, don't be a stranger.  I am easily found through www.kenscholes.com and you're also invited to follow my exploits at http://kenscholes.livejournal.com

If I've missed any questions, shoot me a note!  I'm happy to pop back over. 

Thanks again!  Oh, and whoever found the peach wine -- send me a link! :smileyhappy:

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: MARCH FEATURE #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes

While waiting for my Canticle to arrive, I've been rereading Lamentation and reviewing our discussion notes. Some of you may be in the same situation. There is a lot of good stuff here from our last discussion and speculation about what was going to happen in Canticle.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

While waiting for my Canticle to arrive, I've been rereading Lamentation and reviewing our discussion notes. Some of you may be in the same situation. There is a lot of good stuff here from our last discussion and speculation about what was going to happen in Canticle.

Hey Nadine!  Great to see you.  I was reviewing these notes and all my pages upon pages of notes and flags I used in the book before I started my Canticle.  We have lots of great things flowing here.  I am glad to see you will be joining us in Canticle.  Any idea when your book my arrive?  Sometimes they give you a guesstamite on when they will ship and how long till delivered.  I can't wait to get into a full blown discussion on this.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
JohnAPitts
0 Kudos

I saw Canticle on the shelves of my local B&N late last week.

I'm sure there's already a thread I'm  behind on here somewhere.  Now to find it. :smileyhappy:

Very exciting stuff all around.  The books are amazing, as you know, but with the Scholes' twins gracing the world, it has just gotten immensely better.

See you on the Canticle thread.

John

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Doing it for the newbie:smileyvery-happy: *bump*

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Just floated these both to the very top, Tig!  :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Thank you! This makes it very easy to find.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

LadyMin wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Thank you! This makes it very easy to find.

Enjoy.

Nadine

Great idea, Tigger, bumping this to the top. Those that are just reading Lamentation now can post their comments here. And thanks, Paul, for sticking it above the line. It was a somewhat moving target before.

Contributor
JohnAPitts

I'm jealous of those folks who are reading it for the first time.  This is such a wonderful series.

Ken just keeps getting better with each book.

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

Just finished the book, and was very pleased. I love how he presented the 'world' in the beginning, giving the destruction from the many points of view, and introducing not only each character, but the different facets of his world's structure and the vocabulary of the land. It made the story sit quickly in my mind and I was able to learn about the different political and social structures easily.

I to fell in love with Isaak, and was quite compeled by all the political twists in the story.

I am looking forward to the next two books!

Contributor
PeteyParker

I finished Lamentation yesterday and I'm already about 50 pages into Canticle. Good times. I must say judging by what has happened so far in Canticle, I think that one is going to be even better.

Contributor
JohnAPitts

Yes, absolutely!

You'll find that, like a lot of classic series, The Psalms of Isaak gets better with every book.