Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Lamentation by Ken Scholes: The Weeping czar

Thanks Melhay, I wasn't really paying attention until Nadine said something LOL I'll be a wordsmith before I know it LOL!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: MARCH FEATURE #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes

Just wanted to let everyone know tor.com has the picture for the next book Canticle posted!!!

It looks Wonderfull!!!  I really can't wait now.  Just another teaser.

Okay, before the month ends...

Ken, can you leave us with any other hints/teasers of the new book?  If not that is okay, but I just had to ask.

You know all the questions we came up with in Lamentation just isn't enough.  (just kidding, you have us all hooked and waiting very unpatiently.) :smileywink:  

Thanks

Mel 

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen

Awesome.

Greg Manchess, Canticle

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know tor.com has the picture for the next book Canticle posted!!!

It looks Wonderfull!!!  I really can't wait now.  Just another teaser.

Okay, before the month ends...

Ken, can you leave us with any other hints/teasers of the new book?  If not that is okay, but I just had to ask.

You know all the questions we came up with in Lamentation just isn't enough.  (just kidding, you have us all hooked and waiting very unpatiently.) :smileywink:  

Thanks

Mel 

Wow! Thanks Mel. I think I managed to copy it over but I'm not sure. I will give it a try. Woops! Look like Paul beat me to it. Well, I never learned how to delete these things.

Greg Manchess, Canticle

Canticle
Message Edited by Nadine on 03-24-2009 04:58 PM
Nadine
0 Kudos

Ok, Ken I have a question. Is this cover just spiffy or does it depect a real happening in the story?
Nadine
0 Kudos

here some of the sketches for the cover. More clues.
Author
kenscholes

Yep, it's a real scene.  It features Jin Li Tam, Winters and Queen Meirov of Pylos....

Nadine
0 Kudos

kenscholes wrote:

Yep, it's a real scene.  It features Jin Li Tam, Winters and Queen Meirov of Pylos....

Wow! Three women! A guess it is up to us women to piece back together the world after the men are finished with their destruction! :smileywink:

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know I read this way back in the early discussions of the book but totally forgot about it. It is an excert from the Rise of the Named Lands: A Brief History of the Settlement of the New World. It means a lot more to me know that I've been trying to unravel some of the back story.

The Gypsies and the Marshers were the first legitimate settlers having been deeded these lands by King Xhum Y'Zir. The Androfrancines were much later arrivals and took the rich lands they wanted and drove out the originals settlers.  Now that we have been through the book in detail, some of you might want to reread this.

Message Edited by Nadine on 03-24-2009 08:30 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Ken,

Wow what a great cover.  I loved Weeping Czar and now I have the brief history bookmarked.  I sure hope that I can check out all the references that Nadine and Mel have found so that I'm ready for Canticle.  The question I have is Can you give or post a more detailed map of the world for those of us that like to check that out.  I mean one that has the important place with a little more detail.   I love maps of the worlds I'm visiting.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:

Ken,

Wow what a great cover.  I loved Weeping Czar and now I have the brief history bookmarked.  I sure hope that I can check out all the references that Nadine and Mel have found so that I'm ready for Canticle.  The question I have is Can you give or post a more detailed map of the world for those of us that like to check that out.  I mean one that has the important place with a little more detail.   I love maps of the worlds I'm visiting.

Toni

I'll second tha, Toni. I thought the map in the book was great but it was missing some of the key places discussed in the book. I would have loved a lot more detail. And how about a peek at the map for Canticle -- I'm sure we are moving to some new territory, at least everyone else is! :smileywink:

Message Edited by Nadine on 03-24-2009 09:36 PM
Author
kenscholes

On maps -- alas, the one in LAMENTATION is the most detailed one I have.  There's a new one for CANTICLE that shows a much bigger area but I'm afraid it doesn't give a lot of detail.  The world is largely "under construction" as I'm writing the books and I've not really had a lot of time to create more of it than the bare-bones necessary to move the story along.  Someday, I'll hope to flesh it out more.

And I think I missed a question on the significance of the names Jakob and Isaak.  Mostly, they're just names I liked though I also wanted a) that otherworldly biblical epic feeling and b) liked that Isaak meant 'laughter.'  I snag other names from our Bible, too, as I move through the series.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

I just wanted to Thank you Ken for being here with us and I am totally looking forward to your future books for this series :smileyhappy: I can't wait and Good Luck!!!

Thank you,

Carmen 

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Ken,  I know that we have a few more days with you but I wanted to wish you the best with the book as well as the twins.  Don't be suprised if they come early.  My niece has had two sets of twins and both of them came before her due date.  All doing well.  Hope to here from you when we do Canticle.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

Thanks Toni and Carmen (and everyone!)  I've enjoyed my time here.  If I've missed any questions please don't hesitate to repost.  I'll keep an eye out. 

For those of you wanting to keep up on TwinWatch 2009, progress on the series and Ken Stuff in general, watch http://kenscholes.livejournal.   And certainly www.kenscholes.com will continue to point my readers towards what's coming.

You all have been great!  I'll pop back in a few more times between now and the end of the month.  This has been great fun and I'll hope to do it again, babies allowing, when Canticle hits the world in October! 

Nadine
0 Kudos

Thanks Ken. I've really enjoyed all your comments and insights. You have really enhanced this discussion and have made it even more interesting. You have produced an excellent and innovative book with Lamentation, and I'm looking forward (that is putting mildly since I'm going crazy with questions!) to reading Canticle. I've really enjoyed particpatingin this discussion.

And Ken, as an aside, I think this discussion thread has broken every record for this board with the most posts and quality comments! And it did so in less than a month!

Best of luck with your new and very expanded family and your future publications.

Nadine

paulgoatallen

Ken:

I think I speak for everyone – thank you. This has unarguably been the best thread I've ever followed in this forum. Fantastic speculation, great dialogue, and, above all else, a truly instant genre classic to get it all off the ground.

I am so looking forward to reading Canticle and all of the other installments of The Psalms of Isaak. Thanks for reinvigorating this genre for me – it's rare that a book blows me away anymore and it was such a treat to pick up Lamentation and just be sucked into this world and all of it's  mysteries. Bravo, Ken. Bravo.

Every one of your releases will be featured on this forum –  know that.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Nadine wrote:

And Ken, as an aside, I think this discussion thread has broken every record for this board with the most posts and quality comments! And it did so in less than a month!

Nadine:

Well, the record for views in a single month for a featured title is 1500 exactly by Orson Scott Card but we still have a few days left and the Lamentation thread is at 1438 right now so I'd guess that that particular record will be broken.  

To me, the most important statistic is number of posts, or replies, and this thread – which is now at 296 – is far and away the most popular featured thread ever in terms of posts during the featured month.

And the laurels stat is new but 148 blows away pretty much anything I've seen on other forums so, yes, another record for Ken! Not bad for a debut author, Mr. Scholes...   :smileywink:

Paul 

Contributor
JohnAPitts
0 Kudos

I don't feel like I've added much here, since it's been hard not to add to the speculation since I've read way ahead of you folks.

I will say, it's been very fun to watch the questions and the level of detail at which you folks are reading.

Frightens me a bit as an author. :smileyhappy: But in a good way.  I'm about to go into the editorial phase on BLACK BLADE BLUES and I am writing notes like crazy.  What will people think this means, etc. :smileyhappy:  Very cool.

I will offer a new question.

When they make this a movie, and I have no doubt they will -- who do you see in each of the roles?

And one small piece advice overall.  If you can meet Ken in person, like at a convention, ask him about the orange bicycle story.  It could be one of the funniest stories I've heard over drinks.  But don't ask him here.  It's a performance piece.  You have to watch him tell you in person.  Well worth the price of admission.

Nadine
0 Kudos

As a postscript, Ken, I forgot to mention that I have developed a liking for peach wine. It is light and refreshing. Please give my complements to Rudolfo on his excellent recommendation.

Nadine wrote:

Thanks Ken. I've really enjoyed all your comments and insights. You have really enhanced this discussion and have made it even more interesting. You have produced an excellent and innovative book with Lamentation, and I'm looking forward (that is putting mildly since I'm going crazy with questions!) to reading Canticle. I've really enjoyed particpatingin this discussion.

Best of luck with your new and very expanded family and your future publications.

Nadine