Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: MARCH FEATURE #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes

John,

I would be interested in reading your book.  If it is as good as some of the things you and Ken have written together it will be well worth the read.  Besides we don't mind teasers about Ken's next book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Nadine,

After living 32 years with an Alcoholic noway am I going to start drinking besides I like the peach nectar over ice and nothing else.  But you are welcome to all the wine you want.

Ken,

Hope you can come back and spend another month with us in October it has been a lot of fun.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

JohnAPitts wrote:

And one small piece advice overall.  If you can meet Ken in person, like at a convention, ask him about the orange bicycle story.  It could be one of the funniest stories I've heard over drinks.  But don't ask him here.  It's a performance piece.  You have to watch him tell you in person.  Well worth the price of admission.

John:

We have had some BRILLIANT speculation here – Nadine, Mel, the whole crew. Maybe we should start an Orange Bicycle thread and speculate about what that could possibly be...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

JohnAPitts wrote:

And one small piece advice overall.  If you can meet Ken in person, like at a convention, ask him about the orange bicycle story.  It could be one of the funniest stories I've heard over drinks.  But don't ask him here.  It's a performance piece.  You have to watch him tell you in person.  Well worth the price of admission.

John:

We have had some BRILLIANT speculation here – Nadine, Mel, the whole crew. Maybe we should start an Orange Bicycle thread and speculate about what that could possibly be...

Paul 

You mean we are not done yet! Ok, John how about a few clues? Maybe we can turn this into a parody exciting fantasy story! You don't happen tohave a video you could put up on youtube?

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Lamentation by Ken Scholes: The Weeping czar

carmen22 wrote:
Thanks Melhay, I wasn't really paying attention until Nadine said something LOL I'll be a wordsmith before I know it LOL!!

Carmen, five days ago you posted this message. Somewhere in there I blinked and you totally passed Wordsmith and became an Inspired Wordsmith!

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

And Ken, as an aside, I think this discussion thread has broken every record for this board with the most posts and quality comments! And it did so in less than a month!

Nadine:

Well, the record for views in a single month for a featured title is 1500 exactly by Orson Scott Card but we still have a few days left and the Lamentation thread is at 1438 right now so I'd guess that that particular record will be broken.  

To me, the most important statistic is number of posts, or replies, and this thread – which is now at 296 – is far and away the most popular featured thread ever in terms of posts during the featured month.

And the laurels stat is new but 148 blows away pretty much anything I've seen on other forums so, yes, another record for Ken! Not bad for a debut author, Mr. Scholes...   :smileywink:

Paul 

It looks like this thread has passed the 1,500 mark for number of views. Paul, is that still within the time limit? You haven't posted the April threads yet.

Just think, when Mr. Scholes returns for Canticle, he will be famous as well!

Message Edited by Nadine on 03-29-2009 08:55 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:
Thanks Melhay, I wasn't really paying attention until Nadine said something LOL I'll be a wordsmith before I know it LOL!!

Carmen, five days ago you posted this message. Somewhere in there I blinked and you totally passed Wordsmith and became an Inspired Wordsmith!

I know I was only a regular wordsmith one day and literally the next day I was Inspired to funny lol!!!
Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-29-2009 09:08 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

JohnAPitts wrote:

John:

Paul 

You mean we are not done yet! Ok, John how about a few clues? Maybe we can turn this into a parody exciting fantasy story! You don't happen tohave a video you could put up on youtube?

I am game!!  I have some free time now until Canticle comes out.  Lets have some more fun.

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 03-29-2009 09:12 PM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Ken,

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful book.  I truely did enjoy the conversations here on the thread.  We have created a lot of questions and can't wait for the next books to come out to find the answers.  I have really enjoyed your comments on our comments.  I do want to thank you for taking time to spend with us here, that really does mean something to take the time with your readers.  Thank you!!

Enjoy the family time also.

Melissa

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

I know I was only a regular wordsmith one day and literally the next day I was Inspired to funny lol!!!

Congrats Carmen,

Boy a lot can happen over the weekend!!  I last was on on Friday and now look at how fast one moves along.  That is great!!

Mel

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Congrats Carmen,

Boy a lot can happen over the weekend!!  I last was on on Friday and now look at how fast one moves along.  That is great!!

Mel

And congrats to you too, Mel. You have become Inspired as well -- but then we all knew that!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Thanks Mel I always knew I was the Inspired Type LOL!!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

So Nadine & Carmen.  What book is next? 

I really did enjoy the discussions.  What do we do next?

Mel

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mel,

I know me to so much fun!!!  I'm not sure, I am currently reading Well of Ascension 2nd book of the mistborn series but if you have another book in mind I would be more than happy to get it. I really have enjoyed discussing books with you guys!!!

Carmen

Melhay wrote:

Mel

Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-30-2009 09:02 AM
Contributor
JohnAPitts
0 Kudos

You folks have been great.  This has been a ton of fun to watch.  As to the bicyle story, it's a wonderfully funny story Ken tells about an incident in his childhood.  Poignant and laugh outloud funny.

As for what's next, I don't know how the books are selected, but Jay Lake's GREEN is coming out in June and it looks to be an awesome read.

He is a superb writer, who just happens to be a member of Team 4J.

Thanks for the hospitality.  This has been a very comfortable and welcoming place.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

It looks like this thread has passed the 1,500 mark for number of views. Paul, is that still within the time limit? You haven't posted the April threads yet.

Just think, when Mr. Scholes returns for Canticle, he will be famous as well!

Nadine:

Yes, it is a record (Cue the confetti!)  – and we still have another day left so as of today, Ken has all of the visit and post records here. Congratulations Ken – and a big thank you to all of the participants who made with thread absolutely fascinating to follow!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Mel,

I know me to so much fun!!!  I'm not sure, I am currently reading Well of Ascension 2nd book of the mistborn series but if you have another book in mind I would be more than happy to get it. I really have enjoyed discussing books with you guys!!!

Carmen

Melhay wrote:

Mel

I have started A Canticle for Leibowitz as one of my Apcalyptic books for April because it was mentioned often here and is one of Paul's all time favorite books. I would be willing to read and discuss the Mistborn series if you guys think it has enough substance in it to make for a decent discussion. Or we could could select one of the books Paul has featured for this month. I have been waiting to see which of the three might emerge as a discussion possibility but I'm sure whatever we pick (and maybe we can add more interested members to our core group) will be center of discussion. Any recommendations? Hey Paul, you picked them! Which would you think we might enjoy discussing the most -- and you?

Nadine
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Mel,

Carmen

Melhay wrote:

Mel

I have started A Canticle for Leibowitz as one of my Apcalyptic books for April because it was mentioned often here and is one of Paul's all time favorite books. I would be willing to read and discuss the Mistborn series if you guys think it has enough substance in it to make for a decent discussion. Or we could could select one of the books Paul has featured for this month. I have been waiting to see which of the three might emerge as a discussion possibility but I'm sure whatever we pick (and maybe we can add more interested members to our core group) will be center of discussion. Any recommendations? Hey Paul, you picked them! Which would you think we might enjoy discussing the most -- and you?

I looked over Paul's selections for the month and these two look like the best bets for discussion. I'm leaning toward One Second After because it looks like real near future possibility that shoould generate some excellent discussion topics.

From Paul:

Next is William Forstchen's One Minute After, an apocalyptic thriller that is being hyped as "an end-of-the-world novel to rank with The Stand and Lucifer's Hammer." Well, that's quite a statement but after reading the short teaser on the back cover "The world is coming to an end. Is it the Mayan 2012 apocalypse? The Rapture? Islamic terrorists? Or high-tech weapons from hell?" I'm intrigued. In the book's foreword, by Newt Gingrich of all people, Gingrich compares One Second After to Orwell's 1984 and states that this novel is a future history that could come true: "The threat is real and we as Americans must face the threat, prepare, and know what to do to prevent it. For if we do not, "one seconf after," the America we know, cherish and love, will be gone forever." Intriguing, right?

The third feature is a debut from the brothers Kollin, Dani and Eytan, that has already been compared to Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and called a genre classic. It's set in a world that has suffered a complete economic collapse and is reinventing itself as it rises from the ashes. Here's the teaser: "A brilliant industrialist named Justin Cord awakes from a 300-year cryonic suspension into a world that has accepted an extreme form of market capitalism. It's a world in which humans themselves have become incorporated and most people no longer own a majority of themselves. Justin Cord is now the last free man in the human race - owned by no one and owning no one"

==================================================

I'm going to move our "next book" discussion thread over to the Apcalyptic thread where it might have more visabilty and attract more attention and participants.

paulgoatallen

Nadine wrote:

Nadine:

Geez, I'd love to read A Canticle for Leibowitz again! What do you think about featuring it in May? (Just a thought.... and it's a GUARANTEED great read like Lamentation and talk about deeply profound narrative threads – there's tons of conversational fodder here, like Lamentation.)

The April apocalyptic titles are all good  – I've already read the Gibson release and am just starting Forstchen's One Second After – but are they on the scale of Ken's book? Well, that's a virtually impossible comparison to live up to. Which ones would you like to discuss? Well, One Second After is a good old fashioned end of the world as we know it thriller. It would be interesting to speculate on the realism and believability of this version of Armageddon... The Unincorporated Man is intriguing. The authors, brothers, have never published anything else so this just like Lamentation – a much-heralded debut by relative unknowns. This novel takes a much more "intellectual" look at post-apocalyptic Earth – socially, politically, economically, etc. If I had to guess which one had more depth, I'd say The Unincorporated Man but I haven't read it yet so it'll be like opening up a box of (apocalyptic) chocolates!

Paul 

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Yum! Apocalyptic chocolate! Hey, if its the end of the world, I could have the whole box! I am joining you for The Unincorporated Man, but still waiting on my copy. It seems intriguing and I am looking forward to it. Wish I could join you for everything. Let me know what you decide about May; I can start making plans.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)