Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

The Magician's apprentice

I saw this book at Barnes and noble and it sounded really good... Would any of you recommend it ? If you could give me your opinion I would appreciate it ! =]

" Its a quarter after one i'm all alone and i need you now i said i wouldnt come but i lost all control and i need you now and i dont know how i can do without i just need you now"
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: The Magician's apprentice

It's not bad for the first in a series. Drags a tiny bit at the end. Kicks back up by book 2. Enjoyable.
Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

Thanks so much ! What is the second book called ?
" Its a quarter after one i'm all alone and i need you now i said i wouldnt come but i lost all control and i need you now and i dont know how i can do without i just need you now"
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Magician Master is the second one. But that's the new printing, apparently the old one just used to be both in a huge edition.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I was wondering who the author is?  There is Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist and then there is The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan.

I was thinking of the one by Feist.  It is pretty good.  But the second book is the better one.  Only because the first one has to set up the characters personalities along with the worlds as a whole.

The one by Canavan I have not looked at yet.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I was wondering who the author is?  There is Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist and then there is The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan.

I was thinking of the one by Feist.  It is pretty good.  But the second book is the better one.  Only because the first one has to set up the characters personalities along with the worlds as a whole.

Well the one's I've read are by Feist.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Well the one's I've read are by Feist.

Me too.  I looked up the title just out of curiousity and saw the other one.  I didn't know which one was being asked about.

My first instinct was Fiest, but I could have been wrong.  I just wanted to check on it first.

I really liked Fiest.  The first book got me attention but the second one was the best of the 2.  The whole first series is actually my favorite, although the others are very good too.

Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

thanks guys I'll have to get it now =]
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

There are a few books entitled The Magician's Apprentice....

The Magician's Apprentice 

The Magician's Apprentice 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

awww sorry guys i meant the one by trudi canavan
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

julia823 wrote:

I have not read this one.  I think the book just came out February 2009.  Sorry, I can't help you on this one.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

julia823 wrote:

I have not read this one.  I think the book just came out February 2009.  Sorry, I can't help you on this one.

Yeah head scratcher for me too. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Julia:

I haven't read The Magician's Apprentice  – a prequel to Trudi's Black Magician trilogy, I think – but I did read the Black Magician trilogy (The Magicians' Guild, The Novice and The High Lord) and I L-O-V-E-D those novels. Here’s my B&N Review for the first installment, The Magicians' Guild, hope it helps!

Paul 

The Barnes & Noble Review
Sara Douglass. Ian Irvine. Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Add Trudi Canavan to the growing list of Australian fantasy authors who have found success in the States. The Magicians' Guild, the first book in Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, chronicles the plight of an impoverished girl with magical abilities who gets caught up in the machinations of a powerful magicians' guild. An enthralling blend of Raymond E. Feist's epic Midkemia saga (Canavan's lawless city of Imardin is strikingly similar to Feist's Krondor) and Stephen Crane's brutally realistic classic Maggie: A Girl of the Streets, Canavan's story focuses on two teenagers who have slipped between the cracks of society. Sonea is an orphaned girl living with her aunt and uncle in the tenements that encircle the great city of Imardin. Ceryni is a street urchin barely surviving by robbing merchants. When the magicians from the city's guild begin their annual purge (a systematic cleansing of the poor and homeless from the city), some slum dwellers voice their displeasure by throwing rocks. Protected by an impregnable aura, the magicians scoff at their defiance -- until a rock somehow breaches the shield and knocks out a magician! Only a powerful mage could do such a thing, and when Sonea is spotted, her perilous adventure begins!

Readers who enjoy The Magicians' Guild will be eager to read the second and third installments in the trilogy: The Novice and The High Lord, both scheduled for released in 2004. Paul Goat Allen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

thanks I'll have to try those when i get some money ! =]
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Julia:

I haven't read The Magician's Apprentice  – a prequel to Trudi's Black Magician trilogy, I think – but I did read the Black Magician trilogy (The Magicians' Guild, The Novice and The High Lord) and I L-O-V-E-D those novels. Here’s my B&N Review for the first installment, The Magicians' Guild, hope it helps!

Paul 

The Barnes & Noble Review
Sara Douglass. Ian Irvine. Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Add Trudi Canavan to the growing list of Australian fantasy authors who have found success in the States. The Magicians' Guild, the first book in Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, chronicles the plight of an impoverished girl with magical abilities who gets caught up in the machinations of a powerful magicians' guild. An enthralling blend of Raymond E. Feist's epic Midkemia saga (Canavan's lawless city of Imardin is strikingly similar to Feist's Krondor) and Stephen Crane's brutally realistic classic Maggie: A Girl of the Streets, Canavan's story focuses on two teenagers who have slipped between the cracks of society. Sonea is an orphaned girl living with her aunt and uncle in the tenements that encircle the great city of Imardin. Ceryni is a street urchin barely surviving by robbing merchants. When the magicians from the city's guild begin their annual purge (a systematic cleansing of the poor and homeless from the city), some slum dwellers voice their displeasure by throwing rocks. Protected by an impregnable aura, the magicians scoff at their defiance -- until a rock somehow breaches the shield and knocks out a magician! Only a powerful mage could do such a thing, and when Sonea is spotted, her perilous adventure begins!

Readers who enjoy The Magicians' Guild will be eager to read the second and third installments in the trilogy: The Novice and The High Lord, both scheduled for released in 2004. Paul Goat Allen

I have seen this book in the book stores and didn't know much about it.  You make it sound really good.  Particuarly if it is compared to Fiest and does well. (I love Fiest's books.)  I will have to pick it up when I get free reading time.  Ha Ha, I will pick it up and squeeze it into my tbr pile.

Nox
Correspondent
Nox
0 Kudos

The Black Magician series are quite good, I didn't know there was a prequel, I should check it out.

The thing that makes them more unique then some other series is that one of the cannon characters is a homosexual, it's fairly interesting to see how a mage handles this "inflicion"(his words, not mine), that's more of a side story, but the whole books are very well writen but tend to get quite dark at times and Ms. Canavan is no stranger to gore either :smileywink:

All in all I recomend them.

----------------------------------------
"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"