paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Most Memorable SF/F Book Covers

Hey guys, just stumbled across this link about the all-time most memorable SF/fantasy book covers – http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2009/11/mind-meld-the-most-memorable-sff-book-covers/    

It was fascinating stuff, especially for me because my all-time favorite covers – the old edition of Moorcock's Elric (below) – was listed! 

What are some of your favorites? Do you agree with these lists?

Paul

http://www.fantascienza.com/magazine/imgbank/LIBRI/elric-whelan.jpg

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: The Most Memorable SF/F Book Covers

I have two that I really like among the classics and they are:In fact I have a copy of each ot these sitting on my keeper shelf.  Thanks for letting me know about this link.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Hey, pick almost anything by Boris Vallejo!

Did Vallejo and Frank Frazetta ever trade accusations that either had copied the other?  To me, their styles seem very similar, almost to the point of inviting lawsuits.

Jeff

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Did Vallejo and Frank Frazetta ever trade accusations that either had copied the other?  To me, their styles seem very similar, almost to the point of inviting lawsuits.

Jeff

Nope Frazetta was 12 years in the buisness before Vallejo. I've seen an interview where when Vallejo name was mentioned he just smiled and went into without saying Vallejo's name a discussion of artists who payed homage. If he thought Vallejo copied him, he certainly seamed entertained by it. It's old school artist thinking. Of course any artist after you does similar work at least at early in their careers, afterall yours early in your career looked like someone elses too.

BTW Frazetta started off with Chuck Jones like cartoon strips.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm a SF/F neophyte, but I can attest to reading "The Sky People" simply because of the cover. Note it was a very adventurous and fast-paced book. Also the Conan covers are iconic, and the Moorcock ones are fabulous. Note, I also read Watchmen partially because of its graphic cover. It was also a very good, distinctively Russian, fantasy book. And Asmiov's Robot cover as well as the Tarzan cover are also iconic, 

Here's some of the SF/F covers I've been attracted to:

Spiral Hunt 

Elantris

Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold Series #1) 

Paradox 

Bone Song 

Black Blood  Also, I really fell in love with the cover of

Boneshaker  , because of the steam-punk close-up of a feminine face. Note, there's probably others I can't think of right now. I do know I really enjoyed the cover of the "the Crystal Shard" immediately below.

Forgotten Realms.  P. S. I forgot perhaps my favorite Epic Fantasy cover as follows:

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1) 

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Jeff

Nope Frazetta was 12 years in the buisness before Vallejo. I've seen an interview where when Vallejo name was mentioned he just smiled and went into without saying Vallejo's name a discussion of artists who payed homage. If he thought Vallejo copied him, he certainly seamed entertained by it. It's old school artist thinking. Of course any artist after you does similar work at least at early in their careers, afterall yours early in your career looked like someone elses too.

BTW Frazetta started off with Chuck Jones like cartoon strips.

Cool; thanks for the info!

Jeff

RHWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So many of these I agree with. My favorites tend to be older. As the trend has moved away from cover art to being more about a cover design that is part of the marketing plan, I find most covers don't catch my idea. About the last one I really liked was for Robinson's Mars Trilogy. Recommendations and reviews drive my buying habits more, nowadays.

But some of my favorites from the past:

DuneThere are so many great covers from Dune to pick from, but since I didn't have my favorite favorite handy, this #2 will have to do.

The HobbitI've always been a fan of Tolkien's original drawings and paintings. As great as some of the later covers have been, these are still my favorites for all the Middle Earth books.

3 StigmataI know, it's a re-use from an edition of Dune, but it's my favorite cover for this book.

flow my tearsGreat cover from one of my favorite books.

Martian ChroniclesJust one of those great, simple covers for a classic book.

JheregThis series has always sported solid, iconic covers. This one kicks of the series pretty directly.

Eternal ChampionThe whole White Wolf series of Moorcock reissues sported awesome cover and interior art. This one by Thomas Canty kicked off the series. (Sorry for the graininess, but I couldn't find a good scan.)

Frazetta ConanSo many awesome Frazetta Conan images, it's hard to call one favorite. So, I'll just pick the one from the book I'm reading now, volume one of the Ace editions, simply titled Conan.

Steranko ShadowNot sure if this counts as "SF/F", but with so many other pulp action on the list, I couldn't leave Steranko's brilliant Shadow reissues off the list. With a little Photoshop magic, I've even managed to make a nice, clean b&w screensaver out of this one for my nook.

About my only favorite I didn't manage to hit was Michael Whelan, but he was so well covered in the original article that was linked to, I figured that was okay.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'd have to go with the classic Michael Whelan covers for Asimov's novels. In particular, the one for Foundation's edge (Del Rey only I think) that he called "Trantorian dream". I loved this one so much as a kid that I hunted for it on the internet and got a poster from the artist's site :smileyhappy:. Hauntingly beautiful *sigh*

Another one is Clarke's Odyssey Two. The hardcover I got was this awesome one with an embossed cover and a jacket with the (now) classic cover picture:

One last cover: Robot Dreams for possibly the most elegant rendition of a robot I've ever seen -

The cake is a lie.