Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

The Stainless Steel Rat

My girlfriend got me a volume of the first three of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books for my birthday back in October and I only just now got around to reading them... and man, these books are great!

I'm not sure how many there are in total, but I just finished the first two - The Stainless Steel Rat, and The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge, and it's some of the most well written and amusing science fiction I've read in a long time.

The Stainless Steel Rat is "Slippery" Jim Bolivar DiGriz, an intergalactic thief and con man, stealing his way through a universe where criminal urges and thoughts have been eliminated from most of the population by the psychological cleansing of the League and where crime is virtually nonexistant - except for when it's committed by those few smart and skilled enough to slip through the system, the stainless steel rats like DiGriz.  DiGriz is so good that when the elite intergalactic law enforcement agency - the Special Corps - finally catches up to him, their only choice is to recruit him as an agent.

These books came out in the mid-70's and while there are a few wierdly dated notions (the scientists working at the Special Corps in this far future world are still using dot matrix printers!)  these books definitely stand the time and are thoroughly entertaining.  DiGriz is a hilarious character and I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun with a scifi series.

Some of you have probably heard of or read these books already - if you haven't I urge you to check them out!  They are pretty quick, easy reading and are a great time. 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: The Stainless Steel Rat

Jon,

I know of at least nine Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison.  Or at least that is how many I have read.  My favorite was The Stainless Steel Rat For President.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Anyone know how these compare to Keith Laumer's Retief series? I once heard they were along the same lines (except Jamie Retief was a diplomat). Loved Retief, they (Harrison's Steel Rat books) were contemporary with each I believe.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
Peeps
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Jon,

I know of at least nine Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison.  Or at least that is how many I have read.  My favorite was The Stainless Steel Rat For President.

Toni

That was my favorite too!

http://www.tectonic-uplift.com/deepthiw
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jon:

Wow, just mentioning the Stainless Steel Rat novels brings me back to the early 80s when I was Iin high school and went through my "Harry Harrison " phase.  But as good as the Stainless Steel Rat series is, my favorite Harry Harrison works are the Deathworld trilogy. If you haven't read this trilogy yet, Jon, I would highly suggest it – classic adventure SF...

Paul

p.s. And, of course, Make Room, Make Room! which was the basis for the classic Chuck Heston flick Soylent Green... 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I heard something about them being reprinted. They were out of print forever.