paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Watchmen movie: 03.06.09 – Phenom or Flop?

Man, the trailers to this movie look awesome. It's being called "the most eagerly awaited comics-to-film adaptation of them all." And the movie tie-in releases are just starting to hit the shelves – Watchmen: The Official Film Companion, Watchmen: The Art of the Film, Watchmen: The Film Portraits, etc.

BarnesandNoble.com even has a special Watchmen page filled with all kinds of merchandise

Let's hear your thoughts about how good this movie is going to do – will it be phenomenally successful or will it be disappointing? And are you going to see it?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: The Watchmen movie: 03.06.09 – Phenom or Flop?

[ Edited ]

I have been watching the treads to see if this movie would come up.

I am not sure what to think of the movie.  My brother was big into the comics growing up, but I don't remember this one.  Maybe if I did some digging I might remember it but off the top of my head I can't place it.  The clips shown on tv are very brief.  There is finally a clip out I saw around a week ago, or maybe less, where I finally know a little bit more, someone is trying to kill masked heros!!  I am sure they are being secretive to make you go see the movie.  I don't know if it is working for me.

My son is into the masked heros and comic heros, soooo I will probably breakdown and we will see it.  My thing is unless someone tells me it is worth the money at the movie theater I may wait till it comes out on video.  We do that more then not.

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 02-17-2009 08:38 AM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

I plan on going to see it, and I hope its not a disappointment because I think it looks pretty good!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

So far the buzz on this is quite positive. I'm really looking forward to it even though I never read the graphic novel. I like the alternate reality spin they have. Additionally I'm really unimpressed with the movies that have come out this year so far. This is the first thing I've had to look forward to.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have been watching the treads to see if this movie would come up.

I am not sure what to think of the movie.  My brother was big into the comics growing up, but I don't remember this one.  Maybe if I did some digging I might remember it but off the top of my head I can't place it.  The clips shown on tv are very brief.  There is finally a clip out I saw around a week ago, or maybe less, where I finally know a little bit more, someone is trying to kill masked heros!!  I am sure they are being secretive to make you go see the movie.  I don't know if it is working for me.

My son is into the masked heros and comic heros, soooo I will probably breakdown and we will see it.  My thing is unless someone tells me it is worth the money at the movie theater I may wait till it comes out on video.  We do that more then not.

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 02-17-2009 08:38 AM

They being quite cute about it. Enough mystery to draw in new viewers. But honestly all they had to do 3 years ago was flash the comedians bloody button at me in a 15sec tease. "Watchmen! WHEN!?!?"

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

They being quite cute about it. Enough mystery to draw in new viewers. But honestly all they had to do 3 years ago was flash the comedians bloody button at me in a 15sec tease. "Watchmen! WHEN!?!?"

http://media.comicmix.com/media/2009/01/15/watchmen-smiley.gif

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

http://media.comicmix.com/media/2009/01/15/watchmen-smiley.gif

Yep that's the one. You should heard the fanboy cheer when that flashed on the screen, that and comming soon. 

Contributor
Anthrogrl
0 Kudos

I had never heard of Watchmen until the movie previews came out.  When I found out it was based on a graphic novel by Alan Moore (same guy who did V for Vendetta), I was pretty excited.

I plan to read the collected works (thanks B&N!) before seeing the film.  It looks like it will be good, so I'm excited about seeing it.

New User
MatthewZD2

I've been cautiously optimistic about this movie -- can it be adapted and kept true to the original source, or would be another League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was at best an average movie and a poor shadow of the original source?  A couple of scenes in the trailers (Silk Spectre's slow-mo hair spin and Nite Owl's flying kick when he shouldn't be in that good of shape) had me worried.  Seeing the detail they've been putting into some of the lead-up-to things and web sites has me less concerned and a little more optimistic about this movie.

Melhay, how old is your son?  The movie is rated R, and for good reason.  If a couple of very key scenes make it into the movie (and I don't see how these scenes can be left out without ruining the story and at least 4 central characters), you may want to wait to hear what others say. 

For those who have read Watchmen, I'm referring to the flashback with the Comedian and the first Silk Spectre and the flashback to Rorschach's kidnap case.  Considering these two scenes, what is the youngest age you would recommend?

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

MatthewZD2

My son is 9 going on 19 I think sometimes.  He really enjoys the comic world in the movies.  He is starting to get into reading more now also.  He sees something in that advertisements and thinks he should be able to go see it because he thinks it looks good.  He just doesn't get it yet, he cann't go see all fore he is to young.  (To young is not something he understands.)  I will probably see it and IF I think he maybe able to watch it, it won't be till it comes out on DVD.  Which being rated R he may not see till he is 19 LOL.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

MatthewZD2

My son is 9 going on 19 I think sometimes.  He really enjoys the comic world in the movies.  He is starting to get into reading more now also.  He sees something in that advertisements and thinks he should be able to go see it because he thinks it looks good.  He just doesn't get it yet, he cann't go see all fore he is to young.  (To young is not something he understands.)  I will probably see it and IF I think he maybe able to watch it, it won't be till it comes out on DVD.  Which being rated R he may not see till he is 19 LOL.

Mel

If you never read the comics. Watchmen was the other side of when comics got too cheesy cute. It brought the darkness back. Not for young children, but I sympathis with him I was 9 going on 30 myself. If you didn't let him watch Dark Knight last year, this movie isn't for him either.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Okay so I went to see this movie today with my husband and we thought it was pretty cool. It had a twisted and unexpected ending, all in all really good. 

The reason I think they made it RR is because of the sex maybe a little much for a nine year old. It also had a few gruesome parts as well.

Krista

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Absolutely freaking fantastic!

Just as gritty, gory, sardonic, and yet somehow plastic as the original material.

Not a 100% true representation, but pretty d*mn close.