Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

The Winds of Winter

I just finished the series of George RR Martin "The Song of Fire & Ice" well the books that are in print that is.  I am dying to find out when the next book in the series will be out.  I went to the author's website and he has a excerpt of the next book with a copy right of 2011.  Anyone know when this will be out?

mrskooshie
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Re: The Winds of Winter

@mrskooshie:

I personally don't know anything about this series, but according to the description of The Winds of Winter on the fictfact.com website, it is not a book:

"The Winds of Winter is the second monthly installment of 40 fixed cards for the A Time of Ravens expansion to the A Game of Thrones card game, based on George R.R. Martin's bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire saga.  It contains 20 different never-before-seen cards designed to augment existing decks and add variety to the A Game of Thrones metagame."

I'm not a gamer, either, but I think the above description translates into The Winds of Winter being part of a card game associated with the A Song of Ice and Fire book series.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

That might be, its also the name if the next installment of the series on print.
mrskooshie
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

According to a quick google search...

Posted: 03/29/2012 12:49 pm Updated: 03/29/2012 1:05 pm

As the return of the HBO "Game of Thrones" excites viewers, author George R.R. Martin gave fans in Toronto a thrill by reading a portion from "The Winds of Winter", the forthcoming sixth novel in the fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire", on which the TV show is based. Martin says that the series will total seven books.

The latest novel still doesn't have a confirmed publication date, but the bestselling author recently told CTV news in Canada that he has written roughly 200 pages so far, and expects to finish it in "two or three years."

According to an interview Martin gave last year with Entertainment Weekly, he has already told the ending of the series to the producers of the TV show "in case I get hit by a truck."

Hope this helps.  Unfortunately it sounds like it is still a bit of a ways out...

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Ugh!  I hate reading series that haven't been completed yet :smileysad: The last series took 27 years.  I searched but didn't find this info.  Thanks

mrskooshie
paulgoatallen

Here he is reading an excerpt of The Winds of Winter, eventually:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Season 2 started 2 days ago, so I figure GRRM needs to release WoW within the next 2 years to give HBO time to produce S6 without a yearlong break.

Contributor
Aueien
0 Kudos

Would be nice, but then the last book wouldn't be written in a year, no matter what so they still would have to wait.

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae

considering how long the last book took to write, I'd fall over in shock if the next book came out in the next year or so. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it did. But I do remember reading something somewhere (I think on Diana Gabaldon's blog or faq, but don't quote me on this), that it could take 6 months to a year from the time the author turns the "finished product" over to the publisher for the book to show up in stores, to account for edits, copy edits, and all the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes for a book to be published. If that's accurate (&/or I remember right), George R R Martin would have to be pretty close to done now for it to be published in a year or so.

Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:But I do remember reading something somewhere (I think on Diana Gabaldon's blog or faq, but don't quote me on this), that it could take 6 months to a year from the time the author turns the "finished product" over to the publisher for the book to show up in stores, to account for edits, copy edits, and all the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes for a book to be published.

Haha, quoted!

I don't know about generally. However, speaking of series which have required some patience to hear the end... I do know Brandon Sanderson finished writing A Memory of Light around 4 months ago. He said at the time that he expected revisions to take at least 6 months, and publication to be Autumn 2012. The official release date is now January 8, 2013, so in this specific case, about a year from when he handed the first draft over to when the book is for sale.

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Coanda-1910 wrote:

jaquellae wrote:But I do remember reading something somewhere (I think on Diana Gabaldon's blog or faq, but don't quote me on this), that it could take 6 months to a year from the time the author turns the "finished product" over to the publisher for the book to show up in stores, to account for edits, copy edits, and all the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes for a book to be published.

Haha, quoted!

I don't know about generally. However, speaking of series which have required some patience to hear the end... I do know Brandon Sanderson finished writing A Memory of Light around 4 months ago. He said at the time that he expected revisions to take at least 6 months, and publication to be Autumn 2012. The official release date is now January 8, 2013, so in this specific case, about a year from when he handed the first draft over to when the book is for sale.

double quoted! hahah! wait a minute... gosh dern it....

Well the point stands. I'm not sure about generallizations, but all three authors can produce tomes of equal doorstoppyness (in a good way, mind you), so I'd guess a similar timeframe for George R R Martin's books.