Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Top SF/Fantasy Reads of 2009

Yeah, I know, we still have a few months to go but I'm beginning to compile my "Best Of" lists for 2009 and I was wondering what your favorite new release SF/fantasy reads were this year?

Titles that jump out are Ken Scholes' Lamentation (February 2009) and Canticle (October 2009), Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (June 2009), The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (September 2009), and Ice Song by Kirsten Imani Kasai (May 2009)...

What are your favorite reads so far this year?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
bmeadows
0 Kudos

Re: Top SF/Fantasy Reads of 2009

Hello--

I would have to say that one of my favorite releases this year was the sequal to The Witcher, by Andrzej Sapkowski, which is entitled The Blood of Elves. It's been a long time since I've read something that had me so addicted that I just could not stop reading it at all. It was a very gripping and rather intriguing book. It was extremely well written and very fascinating, as far as this series goes.

B.Meadows

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I have to add The Gathering Storm by by Brandon Sanderson

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
SteveBarr42
0 Kudos

This came out in 2008, but I only got around to reading it in early 2009 -- "Victory of Eagles" by Naomi Novik. It's the fifth in her Temeraire series, and the series is still going strong. Though, being a 2008 release, I'm guessing it won't qualify for you list.

My favorite book by a new author is "Child of Fire" by Harry Connolly.  It's urban fantasy, but grittier than the norm for that genre. If Jim Butcher and Dashiell Hammett had a child, it would be, first, a miracle of modern science, and second, the kind of person who would write books like this.

I think Connolly has a three-book deal in this story universe, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where he takes it.

New User
JenMcKenzie
0 Kudos

1. Denise Rossetti's "Thief of Light"

2. Nalini Singh's "Branded by Fire"

3. Kim Knox's "Satin Spar"

4. Loribelle Hunt's "Leaving Earth"

5. Linnea Sinclair's "Hope's Folly"

6. Susan Grant's "The Warlord's Daughter"

7. Jess Granger's "Beyond The Rain"

8. Crystal Jordan's "Untamed"

9. Inez Kelley's "Maya By Moonlight" 

10.  S.L. Viehl's "Crystal Healer"

Frequent Contributor
alexia561

Surprised that no one has mentioned The Child Thief by Brom yet. One of my favorite books this year!

Also loved Norse Code by Greg Van Eekhout.

New User
cinecritter
0 Kudos

CHILD OF FIRE - best new writer in Urban Fantasy - can't wait for the next one (teased at the end of the book). Imagine a Harry Dresden novel reimagined by Richard Stark - no-nonsense, brutal, realistic, action packed. I couldn't put it down, and can't get some of the images out of my mind. A little boy spontaneously combusts on, like, page 7... and burns to death while his parents look on, bored. This book rocks!  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

alexia561 wrote:

Surprised that no one has mentioned The Child Thief by Brom yet. One of my favorite books this year!

Also loved Norse Code by Greg Van Eekhout.

Alexia:

The Child Thief is one of our featured titles this month – you should visit that thread and post your thoughts!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky