paulgoatallen

Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

When the Tolkien forum was up and running, one of the most popular threads was the "Prancing Pony" – a place where frequent visitors could talk about general stuff that doesn't necessarily fit in any other threads. And, due to popular public demand, we're opening up a similar thread here in Fantasy/Science Fiction. I didn't want to dishonor the memory of the Prancing Pony so I thought The Cantina was a fitting name.

So if you have anything to say about anything – the overall state of publishing, the future of SF/Fantasy, the unfairness of your property taxes, which politician would make the best adventure fantasy hero, etc. – here's the place to let it all out!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Paul,

Definetly getting into the Star Wars feel with the Cantina or are we being Indiana Jones thing.  By the way since I'm here I have a question for all those that want to answer with the Indiana Jones movie and some other science fiction movies out or coming out what ones are best seen in the theather and what ones are best rented and which ones just don't see? 

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Paul,

Definetly getting into the Star Wars feel with the Cantina or are we being Indiana Jones thing. By the way since I'm here I have a question for all those that want to answer with the Indiana Jones movie and some other science fiction movies out or coming out what ones are best seen in the theather and what ones are best rented and which ones just don't see?

Toni

That was the first question I was going to ask Paul. What is The Cantina Bar and Grill? Is it from Star Wars?

I would add a question to yours, Toni. What is the all time best SF/Fantasy film ever made? OK, I'm also getting the hang of this genre--it can be a film "series"? But then maybe it isn't finished yet--and maybe never will be! And gets worse as it goes on! OK, just judge it on the first three or the best of the lot! Then if you can't limit it to one all time great, I suppose we can allow a couple of choices. Just tell us why.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Paul,

Definetly getting into the Star Wars feel with the Cantina or are we being Indiana Jones thing.  By the way since I'm here I have a question for all those that want to answer with the Indiana Jones movie and some other science fiction movies out or coming out what ones are best seen in the theather and what ones are best rented and which ones just don't see? 

Toni

Toni:

Yeah, when I was thinking of something comparable to Tolkien's Prancing Pony for SF/F, I immediately thought of the bar, the Mos Eisley Cantina, in Star Wars IV. The Cantina had a nice ring to it. Why, does it suck? Should we come up with a different name? I'm open to suggestions, as long as they're not vulgar!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Nadine wrote:

That was the first question I was going to ask Paul. What is The Cantina Bar and Grill? Is it from Star Wars?

I would add a question to yours, Toni. What is the all time best SF/Fantasy film ever made? OK, I'm also getting the hang of this genre--it can be a film "series"? But then maybe it isn't finished yet--and maybe never will be! And gets worse as it goes on! OK, just judge it on the first three or the best of the lot! Then if you can't limit it to one all time great, I suppose we can allow a couple of choices. Just tell us why.

Nadine:

I'm dating myself here but the SF movies I think are the best all have some pretty killer "messages" – I loved the original Planet of the Apes, THX 1138, Soylent Green, and 2001. I'd say, off the top of my head, those are my Top Four.

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I like it and was just wondering if we were in space or on some archelogical dig.   I like Star Wars especially to get all of them for my son and have to listen to his Star Wars games that he plays on his computer since they are both in the same room.  No fighting over the computer time.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Paul,

Definetly getting into the Star Wars feel with the Cantina or are we being Indiana Jones thing. By the way since I'm here I have a question for all those that want to answer with the Indiana Jones movie and some other science fiction movies out or coming out what ones are best seen in the theather and what ones are best rented and which ones just don't see?

Toni

Toni:

Yeah, when I was thinking of something comparable to Tolkien's Prancing Pony for SF/F, I immediately thought of the bar, the Mos Eisley Cantina, in Star Wars IV. The Cantina had a nice ring to it. Why, does it suck? Should we come up with a different name? I'm open to suggestions, as long as they're not vulgar!

Paul

No, don't change it. I think it works. It is a place where we can all sit around and chat. Though, if I recall correctly, the Cantina in Star Wars was a pretty rough place! I'd hate to actually consider the menu, though, and I'm not sure what they actually drink. Probably something revolting!

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Nadine:

I'm dating myself here but the SF movies I think are the best all have some pretty killer "messages" – I loved the original Planet of the Apes, THX 1138, Soylent Green, and 2001. I'd say, off the top of my head, those are my Top Four.

Paul

2001 was on my short list. Quite an outstanding movie. I watched it fairly recently and it seemed a bit slow and dated considering today's stardards of fast action special effects. But it is still a classic and holds up very well.

I haven't seen too many SF/Fantasy films and I may be a bit bias here, but I would say Peter Jackson's Lord of the Ring. Not the theatrical version, though. The extended version on DVD (too bad it couldn't be managed on the big screen). Tons of footage was added that couldn't fit into the limited time-frame allowed in the theater releases. This wasn't gratuitous footage just to sell an extended edition but returned the film to what it should have been. With the added footage it is also one seamless film instead of three, running somewhere around 12 hours.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Paul,

I like it and was just wondering if we were in space or on some archelogical dig.   I like Star Wars especially to get all of them for my son and have to listen to his Star Wars games that he plays on his computer since they are both in the same room.  No fighting over the computer time.

Toni

Star Wars was on my short list as well, but not the whole series. I would say the first three. Not what is stated as the first three in the form it is marketed now but the original first three (what is now 4,5, and 6). I would consider the very first one revolutionary in its time.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Though I haven't seen it, I've read some very good reviews about Blade Runner that might give it status on the "Best" list. I guess I should start loading up my Netflix que with these things. Then I could actually talk about them!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I have seen a lot of the older ones and agree with Paul they were some good movies and had some great actors.  I too prefered the orginal trilogy of the Star Wars movie though I can understand why George made the other three movies.  I think that the Star Trek movies that Gene Rodenberry was involved with were the better Star Trek movies and TV series.  I haven't seen any of this years movies and my son likes to get them for Christmas so I'm trying to find out what is worth getting.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Nadine
0 Kudos

I have a question for you, Paul, something that I've been wondering about. Most of us read LOTS of books, and if we are not getting them all from the library or throwing them out as we read them, they tend to pile up with the problem of "where do I put these things!"

Now even avid readers probably haven't read the thousands of books you have read. Do you keep them all? And if so, where do you put them!

How about the rest of you. Do you keep your books after you have read them?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
Though I haven't seen it, I've read some very good reviews about Blade Runner that might give it status on the "Best" list. I guess I should start loading up my Netflix que with these things. Then I could actually talk about them!

(Gasping in horror) Never seen BLADE RUNNER?!?!?

THE BEST S/F MOVIE EVER.

Alright there are now 3 versions of this movie. The theatrical version, directors cut, and the anniversary cut.

The theatrical is good, I never minded the voice over. And it's missing only a few minutes of footage, that were cut to reduce the violence level.  The director cut is fantastic, the bloody bits are reinserted. No voice over. Remasterd footage when it was done, nice and crisp. Now the anniversary edition is a total waste.  The remasterd it and now it looks too bright, and the canteen scenes they digitally removed the smoke and it looks retched. The voice track somewhere got messed up and now the sound levels are off in parts. They added only 58 secs more of footage that you don't even need, and they changed some scenes with footage where the left to right now goes right to left. I'm not sure who actually remasterd it, but I cussed bodily harm at the who ever it was for the hack job.

The are some DVD versions the have all three version of the movie on them. But if your buying, I'd suggest getting a copy of the mere director version.

Anyone else think it's ironic that Phillip K. DIck movies are little like the novels and although his books are good. The little similar movies are great.

Mr.. Dick actually approved this movie back in they day. Originally annoyed with the deviation from the book, when they showed him the original cut. He responded with "Oh cool, that's a nice twist."

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Blade Runner is great, but it ain't the only Ridley Scott SF pic that was classic and should be on the list- "Alien" belongs right up there. Thank God they deviated from Dick's novel for Blade Runner. I picked up the book years after the movie and could barely stand it....mechanical sheep and anti-radiation codpieces?! Yikes! I also want to agree that Peter Jackson's LOTR was excellent (theatre or extented version), it was everything I wanted it to be and then some. I think we can throw one of the most beloved movies of all time into the mix as fantasy..."Wizard of Oz". Dorthy still makes me sniffle when she says goodbye to the Tin Man.  It is still ranked in AFI's Top 10 (Note that Blade Runner is in the AFI top 100 as is "Fellowship of the Ring")

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Anyone else think it's ironic that Phillip K. DIck movies are little like the novels and although his books are good. The little similar movies are great.

I think sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Blade Runner was great.  But Minority Report was also very different from the original short story, and I thought in that case Dick's short story was much better than the film.  And one of the best PKD movies, in my opinion, is A Scanner Darkly, and that one was almost identical to the book except for one relatively minor change towards the end.  

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Nadine
0 Kudos

Hi Tigger,
Thanks for the clarification. I noticed that they have a wide screen director's cut, a two disk, a four disk and I've even seen a very expensive five disk. Talk about milking a movie for all the bucks you can squeeze out of it! It was very confusing but now I understand what is what.

TiggerBear wrote:

Nadine wrote:

(Gasping in horror) Never seen BLADE RUNNER?!?!?

THE BEST S/F MOVIE EVER.

Alright there are now 3 versions of this movie. The theatrical version, directors cut, and the anniversary cut.

The theatrical is good, I never minded the voice over. And it's missing only a few minutes of footage, that were cut to reduce the violence level. The director cut is fantastic, the bloody bits are reinserted. No voice over. Remasterd footage when it was done, nice and crisp. Now the anniversary edition is a total waste. The remasterd it and now it looks too bright, and the canteen scenes they digitally removed the smoke and it looks retched. The voice track somewhere got messed up and now the sound levels are off in parts. They added only 58 secs more of footage that you don't even need, and they changed some scenes with footage where the left to right now goes right to left. I'm not sure who actually remasterd it, but I cussed bodily harm at the who ever it was for the hack job.

The are some DVD versions the have all three version of the movie on them. But if your buying, I'd suggest getting a copy of the mere director version.

Mr.. Dick actually approved this movie back in they day. Originally annoyed with the deviation from the book, when they showed him the original cut. He responded with "Oh cool, that's a nice twist."

Nadine

Bradinator wrote:

Blade Runner is great, but it ain't the only Ridley Scott SF pic that was classic and should be on the list- "Alien" belongs right up there. Thank God they deviated from Dick's novel for Blade Runner. I picked up the book years after the movie and could barely stand it....mechanical sheep and anti-radiation codpieces?! Yikes! I also want to agree that Peter Jackson's LOTR was excellent (theatre or extented version), it was everything I wanted it to be and then some. I think we can throw one of the most beloved movies of all time into the mix as fantasy..."Wizard of Oz". Dorthy still makes me sniffle when she says goodbye to the Tin Man.  It is still ranked in AFI's Top 10 (Note that Blade Runner is in the AFI top 100 as is "Fellowship of the Ring")

Brad

Interesting lists.

AFI Top Ten Science Fiction 

AFI Top Ten Fantasy

Nadine
0 Kudos

Bradinator wrote:

Blade Runner is great, but it ain't the only Ridley Scott SF pic that was classic and should be on the list- "Alien" belongs right up there. Thank God they deviated from Dick's novel for Blade Runner. I picked up the book years after the movie and could barely stand it....mechanical sheep and anti-radiation codpieces?! Yikes!

Brad

I was thinking of reading Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep first before seeing the movie. I haven't read any of his books. But you say it isn't very good.

I'm more of a non-fiction and classic reader so I'm pretty new to this stuff. So you have a real newbie on your hands here. But I do have an advantage--I actually am reading it all for the first time!

I gather SF/Fantasy movies are a whole art form on their own. 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Bradinator wrote:

Blade Runner is great, but it ain't the only Ridley Scott SF pic that was classic and should be on the list- "Alien" belongs right up there. Thank God they deviated from Dick's novel for Blade Runner. I picked up the book years after the movie and could barely stand it....mechanical sheep and anti-radiation codpieces?! Yikes!

Brad

I was thinking of reading Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep first before seeing the movie. I haven't read any of his books. But you say it isn't very good.

It's not bad IMO but its certainly not one of his best works.  I think most Dick fans generally say the best starting point is The Man in the High Castle.   Among his later works VALIS is a truly incredible read but its also rather different than his other books and not exactly traditional sci-fi.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Nadine,

As far as PKD goes, I highly recommend Dr. Bloodmoney (probably my favorite) and Ubik, in addition to The Man in the High Castle.

Carol

So many books, so little time...