Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Re: Science Fiction/Fantasy Movies

TiggerBear wrote:
Oh so I'm not the only one with a tbw stack of DVDs.

Indeed you are not... :smileyhappy:

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

My wife informed of me of the title of that Woody Allen "Sci-Fi" movie - it was "Sleeper" ...Ardo
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I have a question for you, Paul, something that I've been wondering about. Most of us read LOTS of books, and if we are not getting them all from the library or throwing them out as we read them, they tend to pile up with the problem of "where do I put these things!"

Now even avid readers probably haven't read the thousands of books you have read. Do you keep them all? And if so, where do you put them!

How about the rest of you. Do you keep your books after you have read them?

Nadine:

I was just browsing back through this thread and I realized I never answered your question. I'm so sorry! Yes, I've read a ton of books but over the last decade or so, most of them have been in the form of advanced reading copies so after I'm done reading them, I usually recycle them since it's illegal – and unethical – to pass them around. Publishers do sometimes send me finished copies and those I do keep. But just like all of you, there comes a time when – with bookshelves in literally every room – you HAVE to do something. I hate to get rid of a good book but the reality is no one can have the library they want. So what I do is about four times a year, do a "sweep" of the house and weed out all of the books I either will probably never read again or don't want to save for my daughter when she is old enough to read genre fiction. These books I pack up and (try to) sell to a local used bookstore that has some really strong genre fiction sections. After years of these "sweeps," it's rather interesting what books I've accumulated – mostly classic SF, fantasy and mystery and lots of stuff by my favorite authors. I have the most books, probably, from R.A. Salvatore, Ben Bova, Raymond Feist, Michael Moorcock and Arthur C. Clarke. 

This brings up an interesting subject: used bookstores. I, for one, grew up near some excellent used bookstores and I loved visiting just to see what they had – you never knew when you'd run across an out-of-print classic. There aren't many "good" used bookstores left in my area now but when I was a kid, they were one of my favorite places. Did you guys frequent used bookstores and do you still?In your opinion, are used bookstoreson the verge of going extinct?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Sleeper! There's a classic flick! Woody Allen parodies everything from SF conventions to world history to 1970s sexuality. Here's a trailer from 1973 that I found on youtube... I had a crush on Diane Keaton after I first saw this movie (I was in junior high school).

Paul 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2Lo28FNpg&feature=related

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I use B&N sometimes but for most of my books I use the Used Bookstores and we have quite a few really good ones here.  I also use the thrift stores some but not as much as the used bookstores.  My budget just can't handle many new books.  Not even new paperbacks.  I buy the featured books each month and then make a list of all the other books I am interested in and hit the used bookstore.  If the featured book is a few months old then I get it from the library or Used.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
werecat
0 Kudos

We have 2 very good used book stores in my area.  I can try out authors that I have never read and not have to pay full price for a book.  Then If I find I don't like the book or it is just a once through read then I can take it back and get credit for the next purchase.  I feel like it gives me more freedom to experiment with what I read..And the money to do it with.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Sleeper! There's a classic flick! Woody Allen parodies everything from SF conventions to world history to 1970s sexuality. Here's a trailer from 1973 that I found on youtube... I had a crush on Diane Keaton after I first saw this movie (I was in junior high school).

Paul 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2Lo28FNpg&feature=related

The Sleeper house is right by my place in Colorado. looks like a flying saucer, you can see it from the highway. The put flashing, colored spotlights on it during Halloween. Very cool!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Used Book Stores

I have an excellent one in my neighborhood and it has been there for 20 years and still going strong. I also noticed across the street there is another Used Book store that is totally devoted to SF, Fantasy and Mystery. Oh, oh!!! I haven't been there yet because it doesn't open until later in the day but Oh, oh!!!

I already have three linear feet of SF/Fantasy books that I haven't read. Most of them costs about $1.50 at my regular Used Book Store (and you guys have been providing long lists of books I absolutely must read) and they have a rather large SF/Fantasy selection!!! With only a couple of hours available a day for reading, I haven't figured out how I'm going to read this three linear feet of books! I don't know if I dare go to the SF/Fantasy Used Book Store!

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

In my area there are some excellent used bookstores. I have come up with some real finds (although I am not necessarily looking for fantasy/sci-fi; when I was younger I bought a lot of the Star Wars series books, but now I generally check things out of the library first to make sure I'd want to read them again before I buy). I think a lot of used bookstores also have online operations, or online sides to their operations, which I also think are useful (especially if you're looking for something on the more eclectic side)--and which I hope might help the brick-and-mortar side of things stay open.

paulgoatallen wrote:

This brings up an interesting subject: used bookstores. I, for one, grew up near some excellent used bookstores and I loved visiting just to see what they had – you never knew when you'd run across an out-of-print classic. There aren't many "good" used bookstores left in my area now but when I was a kid, they were one of my favorite places. Did you guys frequent used bookstores and do you still?In your opinion, are used bookstoreson the verge of going extinct?

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

krb2g:

You're right – my fav used bookstore has a website and a pretty good system for finding books. Hopefully these businesses can find a niche and survive when other used bookstores are going out of business. I also like this particular used bookstore because it also carries rare and out-of-print books, some of them most doubtedly very, very valuable. 

Paul 

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I haven't been heavy into the used bookstore lately. The one I used was real good but they had to move cuase their lease was up and now it's further away. I'm going to start going again since , like everyone else, money is pretty tight right now. The problem I find with used bookstores' sci/fi/fantasy section is that they are kind of light with variety. I know I'm a "hoarder" so I'm probably as guilty as anyone else by not contributing by trading some of this stuff off. That's my theory on why the sci/fi sections are not as well stocked as they could be. Agree or disagree? Are we, as sci/fi/fantasy fans, notorious for holding on to stuff? Think of this thread as the "helpline" for yer hoarding addtiction....the first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem. Should we be helping our fellow readers by trading more "quality" books instead of stuff we weren't really thrilled with? OR am I just a loon with a goofy theory?

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Brad:

You're totally right. I'm a "hoarder" too and only get rid of books that I probably will never read again... We should start a group called Hoarders Anonymous. Oh wait, we already started it, it's the B&N Fantasy/Science Fiction Book Club!

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

You can count me in as a hoarder too.  I don't just hoard Sci-Fi/Fantasy but I'm hoarding Paranormal/Urban Fantasy.  I would say that it is called all the B&N Bookclubs.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: Used Book Stores ( & Such ) ---

Oh,  Man!  Hanging out  ( and  even  sometimes  buying books at  ) all the  old Used Book Stores as I was growing  up ( and even into my twenties  )  brings back so many memories,  it's enough to provoke me into a "Rememberance Of Things Past" on the subject - after the Library,  the UBS were places where I loitered about a lot...

Berkeley, being a "University Town" had a goodly proportion of UBS - most of them also sold magazines and a small selection of new books ( "seconds", perhaps ) although some proffered  second-hand books  exclusively.  One of the most famous of these, [ "Moe's" ] started out  with a basement  and one main floor, but eventually  was rebuilt into a four-story building with an elevator...

A much smaller shop, [ "Shakespeare & Co." ] was always a fixture on a corner  on Telegraph Avenue...

I've got some more stuff I want to talk about,  but for now, I gotta go  ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: Used Book Stores ( & Such ) ---

To continue with my chin-wag...

[  incidentally, I need to make a slight correction on my last letter - although I may have inadvertently conveyed the impression that "Moe's" was one of the Used Book Stores  that  dealt 100%  exclusively in second-hand  books, it was  not ( although, like other similar UBS, used books made up the vast majority  of the merchandise available  there ) ]

Anyway, of the several UBS in town, over the years, some have disappeared, some have been reincarnated...

One that vanished years ago was named "Pellucidar" ( after that Edgar Rice Burroughs  Imagined World )  -  The shop  had a wall of bookcases on one side of the room, where the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section

( composed  of two or three  bookcases full ) took "Center Stage" ---

Down the street where we lived, someone in our neighborhood tried to operate a very  small scale  business of selling used books - out of an old  van!  ( called: "The Book Van" - what else? )...

It proved to be a money losing proposition for him - and at one time he offered to sell the business to me for 500 bucks! ( I was a teenager at the time, and $500 could just have well been the equivilent of a million dollars to me ) ....

I'd have to say that over the recent decades, "UBS" have generally been able to still hold up their own around here,  in spite of all the competition from the New Book Stores ---

{ although  one "Grand Old Lady" ( or, if you prefer, "Grand Old Granddaddy"  ) of a UBS, 

"Holmes Books",  which for ages had stood on 14th Street in Oakland, a few blocks west of Lake Merritt,

shut down for all eternity some 15-20 years ago }  ---

Although, it's not just competition from the "NBS" that the "UBS" face these days - Library Book Sales,

ongoing "Mini" Library Book Sales - and other fundraising book sales abound -

and you can definitely get "a lot more bang for your buck" at these sales -

also, instead of bringing in  their  used  books  to be sold for cash at the local  UBS, many people donate these books for those same

Book Sales - or drop them off at the "free bins" in front of the libraries.... 

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Bradinator wrote:

I haven't been heavy into the used bookstore lately. The one I used was real good but they had to move cuase their lease was up and now it's further away. I'm going to start going again since , like everyone else, money is pretty tight right now. The problem I find with used bookstores' sci/fi/fantasy section is that they are kind of light with variety. I know I'm a "hoarder" so I'm probably as guilty as anyone else by not contributing by trading some of this stuff off. That's my theory on why the sci/fi sections are not as well stocked as they could be. Agree or disagree? Are we, as sci/fi/fantasy fans, notorious for holding on to stuff? Think of this thread as the "helpline" for yer hoarding addtiction....the first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem. Should we be helping our fellow readers by trading more "quality" books instead of stuff we weren't really thrilled with? OR am I just a loon with a goofy theory?

Brad

Greetings Brad! ---

First off,  I will tell you straight off, my wife and I are both book "hoarders" of the highest caliber...

Fortunately, for all you "Science-Fiction  Folk" I can also inform you  that we only have a handful of

Sci-Fi  titles in our "collection" ---

[  in case you're  wondering what I'm doing here, I sort  of drifted  over to these boards  when the

Tolkien Group was  sent emigrating back this way ]

My wife has at times selected  some  Sci-Fi volumes  - mainly a couple of  1950's- Era  fare -

It's  not just the nostalgia thing,  but also the idea of:  "What we know now  ( about how things  turned out ) that they  didn't know then, but how they  were guessing about how  they would turn out"  ---

And also just examining the change in attitudes towards anything and everything (  from then until  now )  ----

There are about three Used Book Stores in our town that we visit on a semi-regular basis, but I'm  afraid  I can't say for  certain  (  judging from  these visits ) whether or not  the  Sci-Fi sections are more meager in size than  the other "Genre Departments" at  these places -

[  although,  visualizing  one  of these  shops  right now,  I would  say the  Sci-Fi/Fantasy section could  be  as  small as two bookcases  altogether, whereas, the "Mysteries" section

could  be twice that size, at  the least ]

In  all these stores,  large size "Art Books"  and  other kinds of "Coffee-Table Books"  almost seem to outnumber all  the  various  varities  of small paperbacks,  anyway  ( or, it's at  least  50/50  or  thereabouts  )  ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Ardo:

Your last few posts about your memories growing up on the Left Coast and UBS were like walking into the Twilight Zone for me.  I grew up in Central New York and back when I was a kid, there was a used bookstore in downtown Syracuse that was like a wonderland for me – I would literally spend entire days there. It had two stories and a basement and had a huge selection of magazines to go a long with their used book offerings, which were impressive to say the least.

Also, strangely enough, I knew a guy who started his own business delivering books – new and used – to people around the area. It was called Books on the Run and I think he drove a van too! 

Paul 

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Somehow I missed this question earlier, also.

What do I do with my books? Where to start -- I have bookshelves in every room of my house. I just counted them, and found 18, of varying sizes (some are small). Some of these books I have read, many I have not (hence my lamentations about the tbr shelves). Also, a couple of those shelves have only my husband's books on them. My usual rule of thumb about which books to keep: which do I think I may conceivably read again someday, or books that have especially touched me, for whatever reason. Then there are the signed copies, most of them personalized, which I will of course keep. I kept many children's books, which are now coming in handy with my young grandson.  

I purchase my books online, and in stores. I use the big chains, but also like to patronize the indies. Whenever we are on vacation somewhere, I enjoy going into local bookstores, new or used, as I find one can get a taste of the area that way.

There is a used book store close to where I work, and I go there often. However, I am very picky about used books, as I really like to have my books in pristine condition (I know, I know -- OC librarian...).   :smileyhappy: 

Actually, one day I would really like to open a bookstore, selling both new and used books. We'll see.

Carol

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Brad,

I think you are correct -- SF/Fantasy readers do tend to hang onto their books. Actually, several years ago I had a used bookstore owner tell me that.

However, let's use the term "collector" rather than "hoarder," which is an actual mental disease/condition/disturbance. We don't want to go there... :smileyhappy:

Carol

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

Brad,

I think you are correct -- SF/Fantasy readers do tend to hang onto their books. Actually, several years ago I had a used bookstore owner tell me that.

However, let's use the term "collector" rather than "hoarder," which is an actual mental disease/condition/disturbance. We don't want to go there... :smileyhappy:

Carol

My wife and I watch a LOT of Animal Planet and they always have animal hoarders on "Animal Cops" and I have an image of the nice mental health workers coming the old age Brad house and having to walk through the little aisles of books piled everywhere and begging me to give up a few of them for my own good. :smileywink:

Brad