Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Aren't they putting out another new Stargate themed series? Thought I saw that recently. I liked the series early one but kind of lost track over the last 2 seasons. The good news is that Battlestar Galactica is back very soon. It's the only show I watch regularly without fail. Just can't understand why there's such a huge gap between seasons for Sci-Fi Channel shows. That's how I lost track of SG- Atlantis. They have the oddest programming schedule.
"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:
Aren't they putting out another new Stargate themed series? Thought I saw that recently. I liked the series early one but kind of lost track over the last 2 seasons. The good news is that Battlestar Galactica is back very soon. It's the only show I watch regularly without fail. Just can't understand why there's such a huge gap between seasons for Sci-Fi Channel shows. That's how I lost track of SG- Atlantis. They have the oddest programming schedule.

Brad,

Stargate Universe starts this summer, I believe.

SciFi channel typically splits their series seasons up into two parts, as does USA, etc.

Yes, all hail BSG. I'll be sorry to see it go, as well. :smileysad:

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Highly entertaining material, I thought...

Except during the scenes where the crew would tend to get lost in endless discussions using mondo-techno-babblespeak, usually explaining (to the umpteenth degeee) exactly how they were about to accomplish whatever it was they needed to accomplish at that particular moment in time... I guess this added a veneer of "(psuedo) scientific validity" to whatever pyrotechnics were about to take place, but the pace of the story would often get bogged down with all the mumbo-jumbo...

But the shows still were a lot of fun...

I don't usually pay much attention to the techno-babble, realistic or not, so that aspect didn't really bother me. I watch these shows for the characters, the relationships, and the ideas -- primarily the "what if..." scenarios. On those counts, neither Stargate show ever disappointed me.

Thanks for the nice comments about the franchise, Ardo. :smileyhappy:

Carol

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know this isn't about books but...

...anyone else here psyched for Battlestar Galactica to start up again this Friday??

Message Edited by Jon_B on 01-12-2009 02:27 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad,

Stargate Universe starts this summer, I believe.

SciFi channel typically splits their series seasons up into two parts, as does USA, etc.

Yes, all hail BSG. I'll be sorry to see it go, as well. :smileysad:

Carol

Exactly why I've avoided these series. Just as one gets to cheesy or too off to continue, they chop off it's head and spin another one. It's Sci/fi channel's hydra

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

...anyone else here psyched for Battlestar Galactica to start up again this Friday??

Jon:

I'm not a big television viewer but one of my neighbors is a fanatic about the new Battlestar Galactica (he's also a reg here so "Hi!") and he has let me borrow the first two seasons on DVD... I have to say, I was really impressed! Still haven'y seen season three yet...  :smileysad:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Yes! Just picked up Season 4.0; hope to rewatch some episodes before Friday.

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Just a quick thought...  It's so hard to believe that Star trek brought us this far...

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen

Melhay wrote:

Just a quick thought...  It's so hard to believe that Star trek brought us this far...

Melissa

Melissa:

Gene Roddenberry was a genius – there are a few really good biographies of Roddenberry that I've read, I think one was called Star Trek Creator but I'm pretty sure it's out of print...

If you're a Roddenberry fan, I'd highly suggest renting the 1971 flick Pretty Maids All in a Row. He did this right after Star Trek and it was surprisingly good, although I think most people view it as a flop. Rock Hudson, Angie Dickinson, Telly Savalas, and some cameos by some Star Trek regs... It's a dark comedy that I thought captured the, ahem, "atmosphere" of '71 perfectly. Anyway....

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Tektonica wrote:
Oops.  Don't know how this appeared twice and out of context.  This was a response to a thread on p.4.  Sorry.  Newbie confused.  Apologies.

Greetings, Tektonica! ~~~

That's OK --- Your posting was so good, had to read it twice, anyway!

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Edited by Ardo on Jan. 12, PM

I don't usually pay much attention to the techno-babble, realistic or not, so that aspect didn't really bother me. I watch these shows for the characters, the relationships, and the ideas -- primarily the "what if..." scenarios. On those counts, neither Stargate show ever disappointed me.

Thanks for the nice comments about the franchise, Ardo. :smileyhappy:

Carol

Hello, Carol! ~~~

You took the words right out of my mouth on this one ---

The characters & their relatonships is what kept me intrigued in the series, more than anything else...

That's why I always enjoyed the original 1960's Star Trek TV series so much, as well, although in time I came to appreciate the subsequent Star Trek shows for the same reasons...

We have never had Cable, so I think I'm still watching reruns ( of SG1 & Atlantis ) at this time ---

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

I'm bouncin' of the walls I'm so ready! If this was not a "sci-fi" show, it would win Emmy awards for writing. I'm gonna weep when it's over. Good news is that "Caprica" starts in 2010 (Yes, another Sci-Fi Channel extended wait *sigh* ). Edward James Olmos is fantastic as Adama.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

I'm bouncin' of the walls I'm so ready! If this was not a "sci-fi" show, it would win Emmy awards for writing.

Well, I wouldn't quite go that far.  I think the writing in the first two seasons was great, but in season 3 there were some terrible episodes.   Several episodes didn't really concern the major plot and were just "one off" episodic side stories and I don't think any of those was very good.  And I thought Baltar got kind of annoying in that season and in season 4.  But the show is still very good, and you are right that Olmos does an amazing job with Adama.   Col. Tigh is my favorite character by far though!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Melissa

Melissa:

Gene Roddenberry was a genius – there are a few really good biographies of Roddenberry that I've read, I think one was called Star Trek Creator but I'm pretty sure it's out of print...

If you're a Roddenberry fan, I'd highly suggest renting the 1971 flick Pretty Maids All in a Row. He did this right after Star Trek and it was surprisingly good, although I think most people view it as a flop. Rock Hudson, Angie Dickinson, Telly Savalas, and some cameos by some Star Trek regs... It's a dark comedy that I thought captured the, ahem, "atmosphere" of '71 perfectly. Anyway....

Paul 

Thanks Paul,

I will check it out when I get the chance.  And Roddenberry is out of this world.  His visions were amazing for the time.  He has really come a far-way since he started.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

And tonight Battlestar Galactica returns!

Carol

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

This news is definitely not off-topic, but I didn't want to start another thread -- at least not yet... :smileyhappy:

Coming to Dragon*Con 2009: Gene Wolfe!

Other Fantasy/SF writers added so far:

S.M. Stirling

Katherine Kurtz

Lois McMaster Bujold

Many others will be added over the next few months.

For a list of the paranormal/dark fantasy authors appearing, you can check out the thread over in the paranormal forum: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=vpttn&thread.id=8843&jump=true

Carol

Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Does anyone remember "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern? from the 70's. I think that movie had a huge impact on me being open to fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal. I loved that movie even though I cried at the end.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

angelwings33 wrote:
Does anyone remember "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern? from the 70's. I think that movie had a huge impact on me being open to fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal. I loved that movie even though I cried at the end.

Angelwings:

One of my all-time favorite movies! You know what stinks though? It's NEVER on television – most old SF flicks are unearthed from time to time but I rarely ever see Silent Running... In my mind, that's a classic.

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

angelwings33 wrote:

Oh yes definitely, that's a classic!  I felt like in a wierd, indirect way the recent Pixar movie Wall-E was paying a sort of tribute to it.   Conceptually more than plot-wise.

And of course the premise to the awesome nerd comedy show Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is a heavily inspired by Silent Running as well.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 01-19-2009 09:02 AM

Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Yes. Most definitely a classic. That's funny you mention Wall-E because that is how Silent Running popped back into my head. It reminded me of that movie so much. The feel of it. How lonely Wall-E seemed. It took me a long time to get over the thought of that poor little thing watering plants all alone out there. Very traumatic.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000? Never heard of it. What was it?