Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Ig. That squirrel is giving me the heeby geebies.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
Posts: 633
Registered: ‎12-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Tigger -- Are you implying that toads and squirrels can be cyrogenically (sp?) frozen? ---

 

I actually originally had something else entirely in mind when I started posting that last letter,( before I got carried away raving about the local weather conditions ) which was this:

 

If you you have been following the "You know you are a SF/Fantasy Geek when..." thread, you may have read my several letters ( a bit over-long, close to "novelette", or, at least, "short-story" in length ) wherein I was mainly bemoaning my meager experiences with the whole Renn Faire scene hereabouts...

 

I had  forgotten about an experience that I did have when I was younger, which, in a way, ranks  right up there with Renn Faires & such activities...

 

In them Old Days ( speaking again of the 1970's ), the Berkeley Shakespeare Festival

( which, since then, has grown up, changed its name to California S. F. & moved into a large outdoor ampitheatre located in the hills of Orinda, which is East of Oakland & Berkeley ) held its rather low-key productions in the rather small ampitheatre located in John Hinkle Park (in Berkeley)...

The "ampitheatre" there was more like wide cement steps that climb up  one side of a small gorge-like area that sits right in the middle of the park, with a clearing at the bottom of the steps...

The clearing is surrounded  on three sides by the hilly slopes, which are crisscrossed with paths, wooden stairways, creek beds & wooden bridges, all mostly hidden under the boughs of oak trees and covered with ivy...

It's all very quaint and bucolic there...

When the B.S.F. first began, the productions were put on during the afternoons, for a nominal entrance fee, & folks were encouraged to bring a bag lunch and enjoy Shakespeare under the eaves, in a casual atmosphere....

I can see I'm going to have to come back again to finish this story....

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Oh yes toads freeze an thaw all the time. Not too long ago I was watching this NOVA thing on amphibian cell structure, there's trying to figure out excatly how it works, and see if they can apply it to humans. But durring childhood we encountered it all the time. The hair dryer thing works. We did it, you should have heard us scream; so long as you go slow, moments after all the ice is gone, ribbit!

 

I was being hopeful about Paul's squirel.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
Posts: 633
Registered: ‎12-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

>>> "Shakespeare In The Park" Part II  <<<<

 

Eventually, the BFS added some lighting and went into staging evening productions,

which also eventually led to complaints from the local residents about all the

traffic and noise & other bothersome afflictions they felt were being caused by

this "expansion" of the festival...

( this, at least in part, gave the impetus for the BFS to morph into "Cal Shakes"

& to move into their new accomodations in Orinda )

 

 

My part in this comes into all this in 1975 - when I was in our high school

production of "As You Like It" during the Spring of that year...

( I had never before done anything like that before, although I had

been drawn to [ and fascinated by ] that whole Stage scene for

several years before - It was my first time for the pancake

makeup & the nylon  tights - I was never a good actor, though -

I really was terrifically lousy at it - but it was still all very exciting ) 

 

Anyway, after the Spring, we were invited to  reprise our

"AYLI" production at the BFS, during the Summer...

Most, but not all, of the original cast reprised their roles, &  we moved

our play  off the stage and into the park...

 

 I can hardly think of a more perfect location for staging

"As You Like It" ---

At night, in the park, the actors made their exits and entrances

coming in and out of the pathways leaving up into the trees & the ivy -

a real "Forest of Arden" if ever I saw one...

It was a real magical time for me -

I can still recall "waiting in the wings"

( which in this case, was at the top of one of those rusticated

lanes/stairways near the top of the back end of the gorge -

possibly right next to one of those old wooden bridges over the creek )

and then coming down the lane ( along with my co-actor - we were

playing the "evil" duke's lackeys ) 

and out into the clearing to do our bit....

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Ardo, that sounds magical. I enjoy reading your posts in the evening, like now,  when I have time to imagine the pictures your paint.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Tigg, Paul, know what I don't like to imagine in the evening?

 

Dead squirrels. Coming back to life. (I understand you were just hopeful, Tigg.).

 

Pet cemetary 2: Paul's squirrel. Featured tomorrow morning, 2 am, my brain. 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

While I am on the subject of frightening notions, has anyone else given thought to the fact that Brad has admitted to existing on 2 planes? Just pondering the implications. If you should suddenly have any insights, like "Hey, take your umbrella this morning!," please be sure to let us know?
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


PenelopeTX wrote:

Tigg, Paul, know what I don't like to imagine in the evening?

 

Dead squirrels. Coming back to life. (I understand you were just hopeful, Tigg.).

 

Pet cemetary 2: Paul's squirrel. Featured tomorrow morning, 2 am, my brain. 


Too much Stephen King and not enough cartoons.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 241
Registered: ‎10-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


PenelopeTX wrote:
While I am on the subject of frightening notions, has anyone else given thought to the fact that Brad has admitted to existing on 2 planes? Just pondering the implications. If you should suddenly have any insights, like "Hey, take your umbrella this morning!," please be sure to let us know?

 

I have an insight regarding Wisenheimers that I can't share on the boards, Pen:smileytongue: If you must know I exist on 3 planes actually. When Jon and I working on elimnating "Psuedo Me" I got knocked completely off the boards and had to create another account to let Jon know I could get in anymore. We'll refer to that one as "Maintenence Me". I actually did phase into the PM account to see my mail once this week and have been phased out again *sigh* . I'm like Moorcock's Champion Eternal, just without the cool sword, etc.

 

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


Bradinator1 wrote:

PenelopeTX wrote:
While I am on the subject of frightening notions, has anyone else given thought to the fact that Brad has admitted to existing on 2 planes? Just pondering the implications. If you should suddenly have any insights, like "Hey, take your umbrella this morning!," please be sure to let us know?

 

I have an insight regarding Wisenheimers that I can't share on the boards, Pen:smileytongue: If you must know I exist on 3 planes actually. When Jon and I working on elimnating "Psuedo Me" I got knocked completely off the boards and had to create another account to let Jon know I could get in anymore. We'll refer to that one as "Maintenence Me". I actually did phase into the PM account to see my mail once this week and have been phased out again *sigh* . I'm like Moorcock's Champion Eternal, just without the cool sword, etc.

 

Brad


 

Well Penelope he is phasing in and out now...:smileysurprised:  What are we to do???:smileyhappy:

 

Mel

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

You know I'm old enough to lament to the fact that there are no more really good comedy acts out there, but then all I have to do is click on this board and there they are the Abbott & Costello of Sci-Fi ;-)

You guys make my day!!! 

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


dhaupt wrote:

You know I'm old enough to lament to the fact that there are no more really good comedy acts out there, but then all I have to do is click on this board and there they are the Abbott & Costello of Sci-Fi ;-)

You guys make my day!!! 


 

I enjoy coming here for the humor myself.  When I am having a bad day this board really helps make me feel better.  Every on really does enjoy themselves here.

 

We aim to please!!

 

Mel

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 241
Registered: ‎10-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


dhaupt wrote:

You know I'm old enough to lament to the fact that there are no more really good comedy acts out there, but then all I have to do is click on this board and there they are the Abbott & Costello of Sci-Fi ;-)

You guys make my day!!! 


 

Always nice to know folks think I'm funny....even when they can't see me:smileywink: The wit AND wisdom on these boards is priceless. Makes my day too, Deb!

 

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

No need for any further conversation about Stephen King scenarios, people. The crows found the squirrel popsicle this morning. The squirrel popsicle is now officially a Squirrel McMuffin. RIP, Rocky...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


 Oh; this is ever so much more helpful, Paul. Gotta love ya! :smileywink:
 
 

paulgoatallen wrote:

No need for any further conversation about Stephen King scenarios, people. The crows found the squirrel popsicle this morning. The squirrel popsicle is now officially a Squirrel McMuffin. RIP, Rocky...

Paul 


 

 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Brad: At least "Maintenance Me" is only 1/3rd of you. I am sure the percentage is higher with me ... but I'm afraid to ask.
 
Mel, naturally any of our friends who are "phasing in and out" should gather together in the kitchen for Kona ... and any of the other things that turned up in there. My kitchen is gonna be a mess! (there's a "Cookies" thread for anyone who needs help understanding my joke. It still won't be the best joke, but I do what I do)
 
 
 

Melhay wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

PenelopeTX wrote:
While I am on the subject of frightening notions, has anyone else given thought to the fact that Brad has admitted to existing on 2 planes? Just pondering the implications. If you should suddenly have any insights, like "Hey, take your umbrella this morning!," please be sure to let us know?

 

I have an insight regarding Wisenheimers that I can't share on the boards, Pen:smileytongue: If you must know I exist on 3 planes actually. When Jon and I working on elimnating "Psuedo Me" I got knocked completely off the boards and had to create another account to let Jon know I could get in anymore. We'll refer to that one as "Maintenence Me". I actually did phase into the PM account to see my mail once this week and have been phased out again *sigh* . I'm like Moorcock's Champion Eternal, just without the cool sword, etc.

 

Brad


 

Well Penelope he is phasing in and out now...:smileysurprised:  What are we to do???:smileyhappy:

 

Mel


 

 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 241
Registered: ‎10-21-2008

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

With my luck I'll just end up phasing back in and wind up in the pantry instead of the kitchen....hopefully it won't be occupied, lol!

 

Brad

 


PenelopeTX wrote:
Brad: At least "Maintenance Me" is only 1/3rd of you. I am sure the percentage is higher with me ... but I'm afraid to ask.
Mel, naturally any of our friends who are "phasing in and out" should gather together in the kitchen for Kona ... and any of the other things that turned up in there. My kitchen is gonna be a mess! (there's a "Cookies" thread for anyone who needs help understanding my joke. It still won't be the best joke, but I do what I do)

 

 

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
Posts: 241
Registered: ‎10-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Allright. How many folks here believe that clowns that do NOT make a new pot of coffee in the breakroom when they empty the last cup (or even worse leave like 1/2 a cup in there) should be beaten with a wiffle ball bat, have a stripe shaved down the middle of their head,  have their palms super glued together, and be made to wear "Tiberius" for men?!!

 

Sorry that's really bothering me today. Had to vent. It's the most obnoxious thing ever.

 

 

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

MUST HAVE COFFEE. REPEAT. MUST HAVE COFFEE...    :smileywink:

 

Brad, sounds like you're a caffeine zombie like me!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here


Bradinator1 wrote:

Allright. How many folks here believe that clowns that do NOT make a new pot of coffee in the breakroom when they empty the last cup (or even worse leave like 1/2 a cup in there) should be beaten with a wiffle ball bat, have a stripe shaved down the middle of their head,  have their palms super glued together, and be made to wear "Tiberius" for men?!!

 

Sorry that's really bothering me today. Had to vent. It's the most obnoxious thing ever.

 

 

Brad


 

I like to torment my husband and father-in-law by doing this.  (evil giggling) HeeHeeHee!!:womanvery-happy:  We usually end up with coffee brewing all weekend when everyone is home.

 

Mel

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/