Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

PenelopeTX wrote:

Hey y'all! I am having a serious book-related problem. I am moving soon (days) and I am having SOOOOOO much trouble putting my books in boxes. Because I am still using them, and what if I need to consult them, and  what if the boxes get lost in transit, and what if they get damaged, and on and on and on.

The terror was a quiet tickle in the back of my brain until -- I tried to place Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Bullfinch's Mythology, The Complete Brothers Grimm, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings -- in a box.

Any advice? 

One label the boxes with book order. Two number boxes. Three before loading boxes into truck make list of the total numbered boxes. 

Why.. because after moving I didn't keep track of all the boxes of books I had. I'm still finding them! More the pity I spent money replacing books that were simply in the garage. Could have bought new books. (sigh)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Paul, 

don't forget when you find that windfall to order a pipe and smoking jacket as you sit in that club chair in front of the fireplace.

Ooh nice visual, but on second thought instead of the pipe and smoking jacket for you it might be more apt to have a communicator and a laser gun set on stun of course. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Paul, 

don't forget when you find that windfall to order a pipe and smoking jacket as you sit in that club chair in front of the fireplace.

Ooh nice visual, but on second thought instead of the pipe and smoking jacket for you it might be more apt to have a communicator and a laser gun set on stun of course. 

Wow. Debbie. I just tinkled. Thanks for the laugh... or should I say, "fascinating."

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Paul, 

Wow. Debbie. I just tinkled. Thanks for the laugh... or should I say, "fascinating."

Paul 

You know they do make a reproduction of Kirk's captains chair you can buy.

New User
Rosechild
0 Kudos

I know this is random but last time I checked this is what this thread was for. So I went to a book signing by one of the three authors of Man-Kzin Wars XII. He was a great guy his name is Michael Joseph Harrington, but the only problem was I was the only person there:smileysad:So yeah jsut in case you guys didn't know these are stories based off of Larry Niven's protector series. Niven edits the books so they do fit well with the rest of the series. so what I guess the whole point of this is that the barnes and noble pruneyard store saqid they would  possibly invite him back june 6th. I dont know how many people on here actually live in California nad this area but it would be awesome if some of us would actually leave our houses and support this guy. He is super funny and he has some really great future story ideas. Sorry for ranting guys just really bummed that people were so lame and didnt show up. We need to support our kind!!!!
Bibliophile
Melhay

Paul,

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW BABY GIRL!!!

I do hope everyone has returned home safe and sound.  That innocence in their eyes is amazing to look at.  Enjoy your time.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen

Thanks Mel! Yes, everything went smoothly over the weekend and we are now home and everything is pretty much back to normal...

And you're right about a newborn's eyes, I felt compelled to write my weekly blog about that but I see that you've already read it!   :smileywink:

While in the hospital, I started reading The Strain – the featured title next month in Paranormal 

– and, WOW, it is absolutely amazing! It's one of the coolest vampire novels I've ever read! I'll definitely start a thread here in F/SF as well – a great summer read!

Paul 

p.s.

great image by the way – you made me laugh!    :smileyhappy: 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Glad you enjoyed the image Paul. :smileywink:   (I really liked the wings.)

I am glad to hear everyone is home safe and well.

Melissa

Message Edited by Melhay on 05-27-2009 09:58 PM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Thanks Mel! Yes, everything went smoothly over the weekend and we are now home and everything is pretty much back to normal...

And you're right about a newborn's eyes, I felt compelled to write my weekly blog about that but I see that you've already read it!   :smileywink:

While in the hospital, I started reading The Strain – the featured title next month in Paranormal 

– and, WOW, it is absolutely amazing! It's one of the coolest vampire novels I've ever read! I'll definitely start a thread here in F/SF as well – a great summer read!

Paul 

p.s.

Normal, newborn so do not belong in the same sentence. (chuckle) Hearty congratulations to you and your wife! Way to go, dude.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

p.s.

Congrats Paul!

Thanks for your thoughts on The Strain. I wasn't to sure about getting it but now that you say it's great I'll have to look into it.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen

carmen22 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

p.s.

Congrats Paul!

Thanks for your thoughts on The Strain. I wasn't to sure about getting it but now that you say it's great I'll have to look into it.

Krista:

I'm almost done with The Strain and I love it! I soooooo want to talk about it – vampires, zombies, the end of the world! – but I'll hold off until I start the "feature" thread....

Paul

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Paul,

Just wanted to throw my belated congratulations in for you. Glad everyone is home safe and sound.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Paul,

Just wanted to throw my belated congratulations in for you. Glad everyone is home safe and sound.

Brad

Everything is great so far, man – knock on wood. Thanks Brad!   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Oh, Congratulations on you baby girl.  What a blessing.  Sleep, who needs sleep!  My grandson who lives with me is now 5 months and we are just now gettng into the all night thing.  I am so happy Im just the gramma. 

But they are so precious. 

Congrats to you and your wife. 

Lily

Dude, Where's my book!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

lilithesque wrote:

Oh, Congratulations on you baby girl.  What a blessing.  Sleep, who needs sleep!  My grandson who lives with me is now 5 months and we are just now gettng into the all night thing.  I am so happy Im just the gramma. 

But they are so precious. 

Congrats to you and your wife. 

Lily

Thanks so much, Lily!    :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Contributor
Lunanshee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry to change the subject, but I don't see another board where this could be posted...

Anyone going to Dragon*Con 2009?

Message Edited by Lunanshee on 05-29-2009 10:26 PM
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Lunanshee wrote:

Sorry to change the subject, but I don't see another board where this could be posted...

Anyone going to Dragon*Con 2010? 

Well over in paranormal there's a Dragon*Con thread. If you're interested.

Contributor
Lunanshee
0 Kudos

Thanks!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Fantastic news, Paul!!!! Congratulations!

(My computer's not hooked up yet; Ill be back as soon as I can.) 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Thanks, Penelope! (And thanks for the "baby name" advice!)    :smileywink:

Paul