Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: The Cantina Bar and Grill: Hobbit Movie

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

It looks like the Hobbit Movie is very delayed and Del Toro has quit as director because if it.

Hobbit Movie Delay

I'm not going to hold my breath for this one, Tig – but I will start growing my foot hair in anticipation...

Paul

Hey that was from Nadine! :smileytongue:Of course she only got to it before me, cause I was going to talk about it. :smileyvery-happy:

I can't decide if I'm happy to push Del Toro out of the plane and perhaps get Peter back or better, or if I should be worried. I have heard from f/x techs that 1/3 of it's already been filmed and edited. But movies with 5/8 of the film have been killed before so... It's a sticky subject.

Maybe some good news, Tigger. Looks like Peter is considering it but it may also cause more delays.

Latest news.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Sooo Paul,

acording to anoucements they're cramming this board with paranormal. Hmm what gives?

Well, ahem, in an effort to "streamline" things, the powers that be thought it made sense to merge F/SF and PF. And, honestly, I think it could be cool – there are lots of hardcore SF/fantasy readers that haven't really gotten into paranormal fantasy and, more importantly, lots of paranormal fantasy readers who have no real concept about how LKH, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, etc, fit into the larger fantasy umbrella. I think it'll be an enlightening experience for all involved...

That said, I am still going to separate the individual features and run things as is – just on one board. And hopefully the influx will make for more dynamic, interesting, conversations!

Paul

I agree with you Paul, but most of all I'm just glad you'll still be here to lead both us Sci-fiers and paranormalacs. The rest is No Big Deal

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

It looks like the Hobbit Movie is very delayed and Del Toro has quit as director because if it.

Hobbit Movie Delay

I'm not going to hold my breath for this one, Tig – but I will start growing my foot hair in anticipation...

Paul

Hey that was from Nadine! :smileytongue:Of course she only got to it before me, cause I was going to talk about it. :smileyvery-happy:

I can't decide if I'm happy to push Del Toro out of the plane and perhaps get Peter back or better, or if I should be worried. I have heard from f/x techs that 1/3 of it's already been filmed and edited. But movies with 5/8 of the film have been killed before so... It's a sticky subject.

Maybe some good news, Tigger. Looks like Peter is considering it but it may also cause more delays.

Latest news.

I'm getting conflicting reports. But I haven't given up hope. Still looking forward to it/them.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Paul

The Passage was just recommended to me in a B&N e-mail that said it was an add'l 5% off today. I remember you saying something about reading it in a post. Is it a good read?   

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Paul

Good to know about the continuation of the Strain saga with The Fall. (Per the B&N info, 'The Fall' will be available as of September 21.)

P.S.  I found your post mentioning The Passage. (It was in the UF thread discussing the June feature Master of None, and you said is was a great read.) So, I bought it. I honestly don't know if it was an extra 5% off today. (I just don't want to do the math.) But, since it was at the pre-order price and will be released June 8, I couldn't pass it up.  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Paul

The Passage was just recommended to me in a B&N e-mail that said it was an add'l 5% off today. I remember you saying something about reading it in a post. Is it a good read?   

Is it a good read??? Dalnewt – and I'm not exaggerating here – The Passage  WILL BE THE BIGGEST BOOK THIS SUMMER. Of that I have no doubt. It's being billed as "vampire fiction" but it's so much more than that – it's epic apocalyptic fiction on par with The Stand and The Road.

I'm writing a blog about it this weekend – it'll be posted Monday in Unabashedly Bookish – so I'll go into more detail then.

Read it!!!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
largerthanlife
0 Kudos

I was spacing out on Hulu yesterday and i ran across a commercial that really had me puzzled.  Not the commercial itself, it was rather straight forward, but i was really puzzled as to wether anyone really likes/buys a book, after seeing one of those really cheesy commercials that they make for upcomming books.  This commercial was for the new L.K. Hamilton book Bullet (or something like that), but all that really happend was a thirty second reading of the synopsis (with some rather high school caliber graphics going on in the background).  I have never really understood why they make these commercials since they are all really rather lame and i have never once seen one and though "i have to get that book."  Maybe i have just grown so use to such better shot commercials that these really strike me as rather lame.  In the grand scheme of things it hardly matters, but thought i would share.

"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

largerthanlife wrote:

I was spacing out on Hulu yesterday and i ran across a commercial that really had me puzzled.  Not the commercial itself, it was rather straight forward, but i was really puzzled as to wether anyone really likes/buys a book, after seeing one of those really cheesy commercials that they make for upcomming books.  This commercial was for the new L.K. Hamilton book Bullet (or something like that), but all that really happend was a thirty second reading of the synopsis (with some rather high school caliber graphics going on in the background).  I have never really understood why they make these commercials since they are all really rather lame and i have never once seen one and though "i have to get that book."  Maybe i have just grown so use to such better shot commercials that these really strike me as rather lame.  In the grand scheme of things it hardly matters, but thought i would share.

Ok some of them are very good, and some of them are very very bad.

Yes I have bought books after watch one of their commercials, some other have sent me running away for the hills.

With the understanding of smaller budgets, I go for oh fun and oh interesting within the lesser funded forms of advertising.

See if YouTube still has the commercial for

The Looking Glass Wars  still up. A tad long since the com for the series but it did give me the ok I have to get this book jones 6 months before it hit the shelves.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

News popped up today that David Yates might get the nod. He's the guy doing the last Harry Potter movies and has done the last couple of them. Not sure I'm pleased. The last potter was not real good for me.  

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Nadine
0 Kudos

Way of Kings

[ Edited ]

I assume we will be reading The Way of Kings in Spetember. Well you can read chapters 1-3, listen to 4-6 and now Tor has posted Chapters 9 and 11.  I think you have to be registered to get to chapters 9 and 11.

The book will be out August 31.

The Way of Kings

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Way of Kings

Nadine wrote:

I assume we will be reading The Way of Kings in September. Well you can read chapters 1-3, listen to 4-6 and now Tor has posted Chapters 9 and 11.  I think you have to be registered to get to chapters 9 and 11.

The Way of Kings

Brandon Sanderson posted this little goody about The Way of Kings when he was on this board:

Sanderson Wrote:

I've told Tor that I want to release KINGS on a schedule of two books, followed by one book in another setting, then two more KINGS.  The series of KINGS has been named The Stormlight Archive.  (The Way of Kings is the name of the first volume.)

So I should be doing plenty of shorter series in between.  We'll see how busy this all keeps me.  I think I'd go crazy if I weren't allowed to do new worlds every now and again.

But, then, KINGS turned out very, very well.  (The first book is complete as of yesterday.)  What is it about?  Well...I'm struggling to find words to explain it.  I could easily give a one or two line pitch on my previous books, but the scope of what I'm trying with this novel is such that it defies my attempts to pin it down.

It happens in a world where hurricane-like storms crash over the land every few days.  All of plant life and animal life has had to evolve to deal with this.  Plants, for instance, have shells they can withdraw into before a storm.  Even trees pull in their leaves and branches.  There is no soil, just endless fields of rock.  

According to the mythology of the world, mankind used to live in The Tranquiline Halls.  Heaven.  Well, a group of evil spirits known as the Voidbringers assaulted and captured heaven, casting out God and men.  Men took root on Roshar, the world of storms, but the Voidbringers chased them there, trying to push them off of Roshar and into Damnation.  

The voidbringers came against man a hundred by a hundred times, trying to destroy them or push them away.  To help them cope, the Almighty gave men powerful suits of armor and mystical weapons, known as Shardblades.  Led by ten angelic Heralds and ten orders of knights known as Radiants, men resisted the Voidbringers ten thousand times, finally winning and finding peace.

Or so the legends say.  Today, the only remnants of those supposed battles are the Shardblades, the possession of which makes a man nearly invincible on the battlefield.  The entire world, essentially, is at war with itself--and has been for centuries since the Radiants turned against mankind.  Kings strive to win more Shardblades, each secretly wishing to be the one who will finally unite all of mankind under a single throne.

That's the backstory.  Probably too much of it.  (Sorry.)  The book follows a young spearman forced into the army of a Shardbearer, led to war against an enemy he doesn't understand and doesn't really want to fight.  It will deal with the truth of what happened deep in mankind's past.  Why did the Radiants turn against mankind, and what happened to the magic they used to wield?

I've been working on this book for ten years now.  Rather than making it easier to describe and explain, that has made it more daunting.  I'm sure I'll get better at it as I revise and as people ask me more often.

paulgoatallen

Nadine wrote:

I assume we will be reading The Way of Kings in Spetember. Well you can read chapters 1-3, listen to 4-6 and now Tor has posted Chapters 9 and 11.  I think you have to be registered to get to chapters 9 and 11.

The Way of Kings

Shelfbender alert!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The Way of Kings

Shelfbender alert!

Shelfbender alert!

I think that is an understatement, Paul! Did you get an ARC? Here is an excellent review of The Way of Kings.

"The worst thing that can be said about The Way of Kings  is that it is Brandon Sanderson at his finest, but reviewing the book has been a difficult task because it is, essentially, an introduction on an epic scale. It is like that first booming, silence-shattering crack that heralds an avalanche. It is a starting point, a beginning, and like all beginnings it needs direction before it can be properly evaluated. I struggled with this review because of all the expectations and hype surrounding not just the book, but the series itself."  Full review.

=================================

The first book in the series is 1,000 pages! And I think there are ten to go. But the good thing about Brandon is that he does get them out on schedule. He slipped in this little tome while finishing up the last three volumes of the WOT--on schedule! How does he do it?!

paulgoatallen

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The Way of Kings

Shelfbender alert!

Shelfbender alert!

I think that is an understatement, Paul! Did you get an ARC? Here is an excellent review of The Way of Kings.

"The worst thing that can be said about The Way of Kings  is that it is Brandon Sanderson at his finest, but reviewing the book has been a difficult task because it is, essentially, an introduction on an epic scale. It is like that first booming, silence-shattering crack that heralds an avalanche. It is a starting point, a beginning, and like all beginnings it needs direction before it can be properly evaluated. I struggled with this review because of all the expectations and hype surrounding not just the book, but the series itself."  Full review.

The first book in the series is 1,000 pages! And I think there are ten to go. But the good thing about Brandon is that he does get them out on schedule. He slipped in this little tome while finishing up the last three volumes of the WOT--on schedule! How does he do it?!

Nadine:

Yes, yes, yes! I just picked up a finished copy and – wow – it's intimidating for a number of reasons. I rip through books – I read about one a day – but The Way of Kings is going to take me a looooong time to get through. We know the way Brandon writes so I'm expecting a dense read...

Paul

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The Way of Kings

Shelfbender alert!

Shelfbender alert!

Nadine:

Yes, yes, yes! I just picked up a finished copy and – wow – it's intimidating for a number of reasons. I rip through books – I read about one a day – but The Way of Kings is going to take me a looooong time to get through. We know the way Brandon writes so I'm expecting a dense read...

Paul

Does that mean that it is out already? Let me know what you think. I'm a slow reader and that might take me through October! :smileyhappy:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The Way of Kings

Shelfbender alert!

Shelfbender alert!

Nadine:

Paul

Does that mean that it is out already? Let me know what you think. I'm a slow reader and that might take me through October! :smileyhappy:

Well, I get the ARCs a few months ahead of time – and I've had the ARC of The Way of Kings for a while and a finished copy just arrived yesterday but I don't think it's officially "released" until 8/31...

I'm definitely going to read it and it will most likely be a September feature so you'll be hearing  bunch of opinions soon!

Paul

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Way of Kings

Brandon reading from The Way of Kings. It takes him a while to get into it so you might want to push the lever to about 5 minutes:

Part One

Part two

TiggerBear

Happy Birthday Paul!

Hey everybody today's Paul's birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277

Re: Happy Birthday Paul!

TiggerBear wrote:

Hey everybody today's Paul's birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!:smileyvery-happy:

Oh well Happy Birthday Paul!  *insert birthday cake with glowing candles here*

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Birthday Paul!

Thanks you guys! Is 45 officially old?

Paul