Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

Hi Paul,

That does stink. I've always kept my eye open for it and they NEVER play it. Wish they would. I'm going to have to find a copy now that it's stuck in my head.:smileyhappy:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

angelwings33 wrote:

Hi Paul,

That does stink. I've always kept my eye open for it and they NEVER play it. Wish they would. I'm going to have to find a copy now that it's stuck in my head.:smileyhappy:

Angel:

Yeah, classic, profoundly moving SF themes in Silent Running... The thing that really impacted me was the unfathomable solitude of space. I get chills just remembering that movie – I actually saw it at a point in my life where that solitude, that isolation, seemed appealing... I'd love to watch it again!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

In a way, it had the same appeal for me. 
Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Hey, one more thought. Something else came to mind. Talking about Silent Running brought back memories of the Twilight Zone episode where Burgess Meredith is an avid reader but can't ever seem to find the time. Everyone thinks he's nuts. Long story short. He's reading in the bank vault, atomic bomb hits, he's the only survivor, he realizes he has all the time in the world to read...then breaks his glasses. So sad. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

angelwings33 wrote:

Hey, one more thought. Something else came to mind. Talking about Silent Running brought back memories of the Twilight Zone episode where Burgess Meredith is an avid reader but can't ever seem to find the time. Everyone thinks he's nuts. Long story short. He's reading in the bank vault, atomic bomb hits, he's the only survivor, he realizes he has all the time in the world to read...then breaks his glasses. So sad. 

Gasp of horror! :smileyhappy: BTW- I tried to do a web search to learn how to spell a "gasp of horror" and had no luck, so if anyone knows... 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Tell me about it!!  My kinda luck. Definite gasp of horror!:smileysurprised:
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

[ Edited ]

angelwings33 wrote:

Yes. Most definitely a classic. That's funny you mention Wall-E because that is how Silent Running popped back into my head. It reminded me of that movie so much. The feel of it. How lonely Wall-E seemed. It took me a long time to get over the thought of that poor little thing watering plants all alone out there. Very traumatic.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000? Never heard of it. What was it? 

Mystery Science Threatre 3000 (when it's spoken aloud it's always pronounced "MST3K" ) was a show on Comedy Central starting in the 90's - I'm not sure if it's still around or not but it was very popular back then. 

The basic premise is a man is stuck on a huge spaceship by himself with his two robot companians (a la Silent Running - and the robots looks a lot like the robots from Silent Running, or rather like a combination of those robots and gumball machines).   They are stuck there for an indefinite amount of time - so in order to alleviate boredom they watch terrible B-movies from the 50's and 60's.   So most of the show is actually whatever B-movie they are watching that episode, with the man and his two robots (you can see their silouettes in front of the screen) making snarky comments about the movie the whole time.   It was a simple but effective formula and the comments were often hilarious.

The show was very popular among Sci-fi nerds in the 1990's (and still is to some extent).  However it had an unfortunate side effect - fans of the show seemed to get the idea that it was appropriate to make a loud, constant stream of obnoxious comments when they were watching a movie themselves - this was called "MST3K'ing a movie" - which is fine if it's just you and your friends at home but rather inappropriate in a movie theatre!  Also most of these people themselves were not very funny.    As I attended a college in the late 90's with a very high population of Sc-fi nerds and a nice theatre with frequent movies that cost a dollar for students, this loud "MST3K'ing" of every movie that was shown on campus was something I had to endure all too frequently - I can tell you that when its done by 200 unfunny college students instead of one comedian and two robots it doesn't work so well!

Anyway, if you type "MST3K" on Youtube you'll find some good examples of the show.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 01-20-2009 07:06 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hmmm.... (how come I know how to spell a thinking sound but not a gasp of horror sound?)

Hmmm, do I spell my gasp of horror as AUK! (no, that's a bird...) EEEE! (that's a vowel sound)....how about AKK? 

PenelopeTX
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

Hmmm.... (how come I know how to spell a thinking sound but not a gasp of horror sound?)

Hmmm, do I spell my gasp of horror as AUK! (no, that's a bird...) EEEE! (that's a vowel sound)....how about AKK? 

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the sound Malfoy makes when he sees the hooded creature drinking the blood of the unicorn and then runs in horror is "AAAAAAAAAAARGH." But I think that is more a screaming sound than a gasping sound. Maybe a shorter form would be gasping. "AAARGH!" Maybe an expression whould be better, something like: Oh, my! or Oh, no! or just "gasp!" Maybe one of our "smilie faces" would work  :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

PenelopeTX wrote:

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the sound Malfoy makes when he sees the hooded creature drinking the blood of the unicorn and then runs in horror is "AAAAAAAAAAARGH." But I think that is more a screaming sound than a gasping sound. Maybe a shorter form would be gasping. "AAARGH!" Maybe an expression whould be better, something like: Oh, my! or Oh, no! or just "gasp!" Maybe one of our "smilie faces" would work  :smileysurprised:

All excellent suggestions. Thanks!

PenelopeTX
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

Nadine wrote:

PenelopeTX wrote:

All excellent suggestions. Thanks!

Yes but ARGH is also used for disgust.  Gasp is better.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hey everyone this one slipped by me

Outlander    movie comming out this weekend    can we say Vikings an Dragon/Alien and Spaceman  oh mY!

Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Jon,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to look for it. Sounds like fun. Sounds like you put up with a lot at your theatre. I guess we all have to endure for the things we  enjoy. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

angelwings33 wrote:

Mystery Science Theatre 3000? Never heard of it. What was it? 

Like Jon points out this is better watched at home. You have to listen kinda close for their comments but it is waaay funny. Some of the episodes are on DVD as well as the movie they released. One robot was made out of a gumball machine and the other one from a bowling pin. They are in syndication (I have no idea where) and Sci-Fi Channel had them for awhile before they were cancelled. Their website has a clip of the day type thing on it. Pick up the MST3k Movie (it's probably a cheap rental) it's some of their best work.

Don't think I didn't notice that Jon called me a nerd either, lol

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

The show was very popular among Sci-fi nerds in the 1990's (and still is to some extent). 

I AM A NERD (and proud of it!).

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Since I have gamer tendancies I think I classify under "geek" rather than nerd. I can also pick my own clothes without embarrassing my wife. That fact that I will blather with my old friends about D&D characters that I had like 25 years ago= geek.

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Being a nerd isn't something to be ashamed of! 

I mean I manage internet forums for a living and yesterday I wrote a post in here about science fiction references in prog rock...  and I liked it!

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
angelwings33
0 Kudos

Thanks Bradinator. Aren't we all little nerds or geeks or whatever you want to call us? I'm ok with it.
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

If yer on this board chances are yer one, the other, or both. I got no shame! Long Live Us Geeks and Nerds!

Brad

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

If yer on this board chances are yer one, the other, or both. I got no shame! Long Live Us Geeks and Nerds!

Brad

Rock on, Brad – now throw that 100-sided dice already!   :smileywink:

Paul