paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

I love Goodnight Moon! It's one of my daughter's favorites!   :smileywink:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

It is a beautiful book. But, when you can recite the whole thing while in line at the store--without a copy of the book--its really time for something else. In the great green room, there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of the cow jumping over the moon and there were three little bears...
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Happy Chanukah!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:
Happy Chanukah!

Yeah, what Raven said – and I also want to wish all of you a joyous – and safe – holiday season. Thanks for making these past few months a delight!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Happy Holidays No matter which one you celebrate.  Paul thanks for becoming out Moderator.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Happy Holidays No matter which one you celebrate.  Paul thanks for becoming out Moderator.

Toni

Toni:

Seriously, the pleasure is all mine. It's been great to get to you all of you and share with each other our love of good SF and fantasy – as well as our WEIRD sense of humor. Here's to a great 2009!

Paul 

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Hey Paul,

Is this where I put my hand up and ask the teacher where our homework is (there's always one wisenheimer kid that does this in every class "Teacher, teacher, you forgot to collect our homework")? What's the feature for Jan? Did I miss it?

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Brad,

I may not be the teacher but I have down Bones Of The Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman or The Alchemey Of Stone by Eratrina Sedia or Watermind by M.M. Buckner.

I know that Bones Of The Dragon and The Alchemey Of Stone were released this month or do to be released next week.  The other one my library has and I hope they get the Weis book because my son couldn't keep a secret and said he is getting me the Sedia book for Christmas because he knew I wanted to read it for the discussion.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Brad,

I may not be the teacher but I have down Bones Of The Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman or The Alchemey Of Stone by Eratrina Sedia or Watermind by M.M. Buckner.

I know that Bones Of The Dragon and The Alchemey Of Stone were released this month or do to be released next week.  The other one my library has and I hope they get the Weis book because my son couldn't keep a secret and said he is getting me the Sedia book for Christmas because he knew I wanted to read it for the discussion.

Toni

Thanks Toni:

Yeah, I'm actually just creating a "preview" thread right now about the upcoming titles in Jan, Feb and March. So give me a few and you'll have all you need to know for the next three months' worth of features!

Paul 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Brad,

Toni

I believe Bones of the Dragon will not be available until January 6 so you might want to put that one last on your list. Alchemy of Stones appears to have been published in June but they may be almost out of their print run, so if you want it you may want to order it soon. It was totally sold out in all five B&N stores in my area.

I put my money on Alchemy of Stones and I just started reading it. Watermind is a bit expensive and didn't appeal to me as much. Bones of the Dragon might be pretty good but then it isn't out yet and if you order it, it may be the middle middle of the month before you actually get it to start reading it. But it is the first of a new series so that takes care of the "jumping into the middle" of a long series problem.

And shissh! They tend to slip in the up-and-coming reads for this group VERY quietly. Two of them have just quietly appeared in the upper right hand corner of our page. The actual schedule (for those of you who like to know of these things before hand) is under Announcements "January disscussion schedule" if you ever notice that or think to look at that board on a regular basis!

From Announcements

-------------------------------------

The Fantasy & Science Fiction reads Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman; Watermind by M. M. Buckner; and The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Uh...you guys are giving me waaay too much credit that I would find that neon red "announcements" tab, lol! I'd be lost in here without you folks. Many Thanks!

On that note I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas or a peaceful, enjoyable and safe, holiday of your choice. Really looking forward to next year's boards and loads of new books. My very best wishes for all!!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:
I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas or a peaceful, enjoyable and safe, holiday of your choice. Really looking forward to next year's boards and loads of new books. My very best wishes for all!! 

Right back at cha, Brad. Her's hoping you all have a joyous holiday! (And, remember, beware of Santa – he's an alien!)    :smileywink:

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul and Everyone,

I want to wish everyone Happy Holidays and may you get at least part of what you wish for.  Watch out for those hidden Elves they can be real mischief.  Looking forward to a great New Year with all my friends on these boards.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

I have such fond memories of Strand in NYC.  (Used to live there) Hours wandering the musty shelves cruising for treasures.  It's still there, but the treasures have mostly been unearthed or recognized for what they are.  I still drop in when in the City.  There is one used bookstore that I know of here in SoFla, but it doesn't have a big SciFi presence.

If anyone has any recommendations, post them! I, and probably many of us, do travel and looking up a good bookstore is a great way to see a city, so if anyone cares to post the location of any faves, please do!

As for online used bookstores, I found Abe Books a few years ago.  They have some pretty nifty things now and again.  Anyone know of others? 

I confess, I'm a hoarder too.  Book shelves in most rooms, ordered by genre.  Big SciFi section, which needs to be revisited as many are 30 year old paperbacks whose spines are cracking.  I need to reread some of those....somehow the memories of them are foggy... 

I love having the "old friends" around.  Just perusing the shelves makes me happy.  Every once in a while, I take one down and scan or read sections.  Sometimes I reread it all!  My husband thinks I'm nuts to read something again.  I savor it.  On the second reading other layers appear and I can take the time to admire a turn of phrase or historical reference.  

I do make periodic sweeps and usually donate to our local library, which has a new building and many empty shelves.  The TBR shelf is groaning.   

Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

I have such fond memories of Strand in NYC.  (Used to live there) Hours wandering the musty shelves cruising for treasures.  It's still there, but the treasures have mostly been unearthed or recognized for what they are.  I still drop in when in the City.  There is one used bookstore that I know of here in SoFla, but it doesn't have a big SciFi presence.

If anyone has any recommendations, post them! I, and probably many of us, do travel and looking up a good bookstore is a great way to see a city, so if anyone cares to post the location of any faves, please do!

As for online used bookstores, I found Abe Books a few years ago.  They have some pretty nifty things now and again.  Anyone know of others? 

I confess, I'm a hoarder too.  Book shelves in most rooms, ordered by genre.  Big SciFi section, which needs to be revisited as many are 30 year old paperbacks whose spines are cracking.  I need to reread some of those....somehow the memories of them are foggy... 

I love having the "old friends" around.  Just perusing the shelves makes me happy.  Every once in a while, I take one down and scan or read sections.  Sometimes I reread it all!  My husband thinks I'm nuts to read something again.  I savor it.  On the second reading other layers appear and I can take the time to admire a turn of phrase or historical reference.  

I do make periodic sweeps and usually donate to our local library, which has a new building and many empty shelves.  The TBR shelf is groaning.   

Any favorite used bookstores???? 

Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Oops.  Don't know how this appeared twice and out of context.  This was a response to a thread on p.4.  Sorry.  Newbie confused.  Apologies.
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Tonight is the series finale of Stargate Atlantis. :smileysad:

RIP, dear show.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

RIP, dear show.

Carol

Carol:

Didn't Stargate Atlantis jump the shark years ago?

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Chomp wrote:

RIP, dear show.

Carol

Carol:

Paul 

Greetings, Paul & Carol { & Everybody! } ~~~

This is everything I know about "Stargate Atlantis":

My daughter was watching the original "Stargate (SG1)" series at least 8 years ago, maybe longer than that... I became acquainted with that series & the "Atlantis" spin-off only in very recent times - perhaps in the last few years - one of the local TV stations was playing them

( usually an "SG1" episode, followed by an "Atlantis" episode ) in the "wee smalls" on Sunday night/Monday morning [I think] )...

I always assumed these were "re-runs" ( but that was just an assumption ) ---

Highly entertaining material, I thought...

Except during the scenes where the crew would tend to get lost in endless discussions using mondo-techno-babblespeak, usually explaining (to the umpteenth degeee) exactly how they were about to accomplish whatever it was they needed to accomplish at that particular moment in time... I guess this added a veneer of "(psuedo) scientific validity" to whatever pyrotechnics were about to take place, but the pace of the story would often get bogged down with all the mumbo-jumbo...

But the shows still were a lot of fun...

It seems like many of the shows that appear in the late night slots come out of Canada, & they seem to producing some good stuff up there...

Just recently, the Fantasy series: "The Seeker" seems to popping up in the same time slot that the "Stargate" shows were on before ( I did just catch an episode of "Atlantis" that was on again last weekend ) ....

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Chomp wrote:

RIP, dear show.

Carol

Carol:

Paul 

Not to me. I enjoyed every episode over the five short years it was on. The finale was great, also.

Carol

So many books, so little time...