Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

I agree with "shelving" thread here. In my recent trip to the used bookstore, I thought I'd look for one of the macguire books, "Wicked" , etc. It was like a scavenger hunt! Finally found "Mirror, Mirror" in the regular fiction section (near some James Michener stuff, didn't seem to fit). I wasn't inclined to get that one but it was all they had in stock. Hadn't really expected to find it there. Along the same line I tried to find "Where's My Cow" by Terry Pratchett for my little niece. It's a kids book that Pratchett wrote (still dang funny for juveniles like myself though). I had to end up ordering it and it was listed as "sci/fi". My niece is 3, and this was for my younger brother to read to her. How to solve this? I'm all for the "Frankenstein Monster" approach, a march with torches and pitchforks! Of course, I tend to this approach for most problems, must be why my wife doesn't leave me unattended around sharp objects and fire (although she has no problem with me doing the cooking).

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

A little bit of a change of subject but still related to Used Bookstores.  I just exchanged a few books, took seven books in and brought home two.  The people working at my local used bookstore says they are having a bit of a hard time knowing where to shelve some books because they don't know weather to shelve them.  They don't know where to put Paranormal books.  Weather to shelve them in Romance, Science Fiction/Fantasy, or start a whole new section just for Paranormal books no matter if it is Romance, Dark Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, or Mystery.  I couldn't help them because I think that the new bookstores are having the same trouble because Publishers can't seem to make up there mind about where to put them.  How would you solve the dilemma if you had to? 

Toni

This is an especally interesting problem for used bookstores, as the new ones have shelving somewhat dictated to them.

The used place that I frequent the most does have a "paranormal" section, which seems to contain mostly paranormal romance, with the occasional UF, or SF, or Horror titles thrown in. This same store does have separate SF/Fantasy and Horror sections, as well.

I think the main reason there is so much confusion as to where to shelve and how to classify is that paranormal fiction is a combination of other genres. Most UF, for example, is a hybrid of Fantasy and Horror, sometimes with Romance thrown in, sometimes SF.

If a store has the space, the ideal approach would be to have separate sections for PR and UF, for example, but have them near each other since so many of us read books in both categories.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

This one's for Paul probably, but anyone with an answer is greatly welcome to pop off and let me know. Someone rattled my memory on another thread and out popped the author Nigel Fenn. He wrote a series of books with the main character named Gideon Sunday, can't remember the name of the series although one book might have been "Quest For the White Duck". He also had the Kent Montana series, "The Really Ugly Thing from Mars", and "Kent Montana and the Reasonably Invisable Man". The guy was really funny and has now disappeared. I wanna know what happened to him! Paul or anyone? It's really bothering me now, and I need help.

Brad

PS. Yes, my BN account got nerfed so I had to add a "1" to my handle. All that work getting to "Frequent Contributor" blown away *sigh*

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Brad,

The reason you could not find any more books by that author is because you had the wrong name.  The author of The Really Ugly Thing From Mars is Lionel Fenn which is an alias for Charles L. Grant.  And you will not find any new books from him because he died in 2006.  I don't know if they will be rereleasing any of his books.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Brad,

The reason you could not find any more books by that author is because you had the wrong name.  The author of The Really Ugly Thing From Mars is Lionel Fenn which is an alias for Charles L. Grant.  And you will not find any new books from him because he died in 2006.  I don't know if they will be rereleasing any of his books.

Toni

Thanks Toni, although the info is bittersweet. Lionel was the right one. Pulled out my copy of "Kent Montana and the Reasonably Invisable Man" this morning. He was really funny. I'll have to scour the used book stores for the Gideon Sunday books *sigh*

Brad

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Toni, thanks! Brad's question had me stumped. Those titles sound like they could be a lot of fun though... I'm sorry to hear the author passed.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I was too because I really liked his Black Oak series, that he wrote under Charles L. Grant, and kept waitng for a new one to come out because the story just didn't seem finished and no book came out.  I loaned my copies out and never got them back and now I can't seem to find them.  I hadn't read the ones Brad talked about but I will keep my eyes open for them because they do sound fun to read.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes I know it's a teen book. However....

"City of Ember" was one of the most intelligent exciting movies I've seen this year.

Very VERY recommended.

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 10-24-2008 05:15 PM
Frequent Contributor
White_Bear
0 Kudos

Hey TiggerBear,

I just read The City of Ember. Okay, that was only a couple weeks ago, but I've been on a reading binge, and I'm having trouble remembering it. Oh yes, it's all coming back now. I loved it! And I'm only a little embarassed because I'm pretty sure it's for the young teenage set, but then I am a rather immature individual. But there was a currupt government official and a mysterious doomsday event and I couldn't put it down. The movie looks cool, too.

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different."
~Coco Chanel
Frequent Contributor
White_Bear
0 Kudos

My sister loves UBS, she even visits them on vacation. We'll be driving down a beautiful strip of beach, and she'll say, "Oh, pull over! There's a used book store over there!" It's a disease. We once found one that was in a barn, it was like three stories of books. Most of them were romance though, and I don't read romance novels. I don't find many books in UBS, mainly because I'm completely overwhelmed by the dimly lit, floor to ceiling setup most of them have.

As for book hoarding collecting, I keep every book I get. Family tradition. I don't have a very large collection, though. Only about 80 books, including various art books which aren't for reading so as much as they are for flipping through when I get bored. My sisters have massive hoards collections, which is part of the reason I don't have many, I just borrow theirs. We all read so many different genres that there's bound to be something in someone's hoard collection that will pique my interest.

~Coco Chanel
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Funny thing about The City of Ember. I never read it. My wife is a 6th grade English teacher and she absolutely loves it and uses it in her class every year. And I've never read it. It's post-apocalyptic SF, right?

Paul  

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
White_Bear
0 Kudos

Hi Mr.Paul :smileyhappy:

I guess you could call it that. *shrugs shoulders*. I've just been calling it "that doomsday book about people living underground." Post-apocalyptic SF sounds much better, though. If you already have a copy in your home, I would recommend reading it. It only took me a day and half. :smileyhappy:

~Coco Chanel
Frequent Contributor
White_Bear
0 Kudos

On secong thought, "post-apocalyptic" might be a little heavy. I don't want to give anything away about Ember (I try not be be a spoiler sport), but it wasn't really the end of the world. Of course, I've only read the first book in the series so far, and not a lot about why they're underground was given away. The author's website said it was more of a look into the future at what might happen. A cautionary tale, I guess. ?.
~Coco Chanel
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Funny thing about The City of Ember. I never read it. My wife is a 6th grade English teacher and she absolutely loves it and uses it in her class every year. And I've never read it. It's post-apocalyptic SF, right?

Paul  

Yeah, but there's little bits of it in the book and the movie. Humanity going underground avoiding disaster, giant animals and bugs, and *Spoiler* aboveground being plant covered human rubble. The author was on the family section about a month or so ago, very nice. Apparently it's a series.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I have just a quick tale to throw on here. It is sci-fi/fantasy related and pretty funny really. When I was in my 20s I started dating this girl I ran into that I knew from high school. We had several mutual friends from school, and one of them found out we were dating. This "friend" told my new girlfriend, and this is a quote "Do you really want to date him? He's into that Dungeons and Dragons thing, AND he reads a lot of weirdo books". Despite my obvious mental instability being laid bare in this revelation, my 17th wedding anniversary was this past Sunday. My wife doesn't really understand my sci-fi/fantasy obsession and my old D&D group has morphed into Online Gamers (it's Warhammer Online nowadays), but she hasn't thrown me out yet. Glad that person didn't tell her what a wisenheimer (cleaned that up for the kiddies, that's not the word my wife uses though) I am. Goes to show ya, there's someone for everyone, even sci-fi/fantasy book weirdos, D&D players, and wisenheimers.

Brad

Frequent Contributor
White_Bear
0 Kudos

Aww, I love happy endings! Happy anniversary!
~Coco Chanel
Frequent Contributor
White_Bear
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!

I was hoping to beg a boon of those of you who are more versed in SF and fantasy than myself. I'm searching for a book that I read years ago, and I was hoping that one of you might know what it is. I can't remember the title or the author, only the story, so you can see why all my efforts so far have been fruitless. I'd go back to the library where I checked it out, but, sadly, I now live on the opposite coast and can no longer access my old library account. I've even gone through all of BN's fantasy books looking for something that might ring a bell, the closest I got was a book called Mist Born, the synopsis mentioned ash raining down from the sky, but that was the only similarity. My sister thought it might be Rope Maker, but that wasn't it either.

It was in the YA section, so I can only assume that it's a YA book. The story was about a frozen world without sun. The sky was blacked out by clouds of smoke from all the coal people burned in order to keep warm. There were slaves with brands burned onto their foreheads who were forced to mine the coal. One of the slaves, a young woman, discovers that she has magic powers, I can't remember the specifics, but I think it had something to do with rocks. She might have been the "chosen one," or something like that. She set out to take down the evil ruler. Somewhere in the middle there was side trip to a secret, pristine valley. After defeating the evil ruler, she abolishes slavery and teaches the people how to keep warm by "thinking warm thoughts." At the very end, someone was walking down a path, and a single ray of sunlight broke through the smoke to illuminate a baby tree.

This has kind of been tormenting me for the last few months, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

White_Bear

~Coco Chanel
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Couple of off topic questions....sort of

In addition to my literacy addiction and coffee habit, I've been sucked into MMOs on the computer (MMOs= Massive Multiplayer Online gaming). This what my old D&D gaming gang has turned to in the past few years. The big names are Everquest, World of Warcraft, and my current fave Warhammer Online. I'm curious to know if there are a lot of sci-fi/fantasy folks that are into this also?

My other question is: Is the online craze good for our reading genre, pulling folks into our world by introducing them via a popular medium, OR is it just so addictive that it's pulling time away from reading and literacy in general?

I, myself, tend to "fall behind" ,in game, cause I don't really play a ton compared to other folks. I have books to read and wife to spend time with. In other words I have a real life that enjoy spending time with. To me the online games are a lot like D&D, you can either just have fun with it, or some folks just get too involved (hence the sories of boobs lost in the sewers of Muncie, IND ala Knights of the Dinner Table comics)

I'd like to hear what folks think on this.

Brad 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Evercrack, no. I lost friends to that game. I think about 6 different phone calls or coversations "I just go the great game Everquest. You've got to try it!" And I never heard from them again. 

My current friends still do LAN parties though.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

This reverts back to the used books conversation but here's an announcement that will probably change the future of getting access to used books:

http://www.themillionsblog.com/2008/10/google-settlement-could-change-literary.html

Google's going to make available every book ever published for preview/download/or POD purchase.