Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to The Cantina Bar and Grill: Off-topic chat served up here

TiggerBear wrote:

Evercrack, no. I lost friends to that game. I think about 6 different phone calls or coversations "I just go the great game Everquest. You've got to try it!" And I never heard from them again. 

My current friends still do LAN parties though.

I've got a couple of friends that need to be on one of those "Intervention" shows on A&E also. I hear ya!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

A Halloween trivia question:

Why do witches wear pointy hats? 

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Happy Halloween ( Belatedly ) To Everybody ---

The "Wicked Glitch of the West" has been preventing me from posting from home for the last week and then some... ---

Mucho Aggravation for me -

maybe more peace and quiet for everyone else, perhaps, though ---

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

Happy Halloween ( Belatedly ) To Everybody ---

The "Wicked Glitch of the West" has been preventing me from posting from home for the last week and then some... ---

Mucho Aggravation for me -

maybe more peace and quiet for everyone else, perhaps, though ---

Right back at you, Ardo. Hope it was a good one for you. I feel your pain regarding the Wicked Glitch – she afflicted me a month or so back.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I just had to share this, it's too hilarious not to.

www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

This is a compilation of ways to become the all powerful and highly successful bad guy in SF/F.

Frequent Contributor
bemusedfeline
0 Kudos

I keep the very favorite ones, the ones that I know I'll read again.  The others I usually give to the library to keep or sell, whichever suits them best.  Some I've given to friends and some I've put in yard sales.  I once heard a good suggestion about just leaving them some place for someone else to pick up--like in a waiting room or on a bus or wherever you know people are going to have to pass some time.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ok I just checked this site out and it works, SwapTree.

Try it out. You list things you want, what you have to swap (anything books, movies, games, ect.. with a bar code), their comp finds some else who has what you want and wants what you have, you agree to a swap, and then you both just pay the postage. NO cost to you or them except the postage.

I mention this because not every one has a used bookstore in their area. And I tested this using a couple of books I no longer wanted. I got an out of print book and a movie I couldn't find, in exchange. 

I ebay, but if this site catches on.. well it's a little simpler for the small easy transactions.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Just to throw out there: Does anyone use book trailers to find new material to read? Has anyone seen any good book trailers for SF/F? I think this is an ingenius marketing tool for publishers and authors and one that is going to take off. I'd love to find a few to see how well they generate interest in books I haven't discovered yet.
Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

A Halloween trivia question:

Why do witches wear pointy hats? 

I give up!  Why do witches wear pointy hats?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:
Just to throw out there: Does anyone use book trailers to find new material to read? Has anyone seen any good book trailers for SF/F? I think this is an ingenius marketing tool for publishers and authors and one that is going to take off. I'd love to find a few to see how well they generate interest in books I haven't discovered yet.

Clipper:

Hey, that's a great comment. I've been seeing more and more book trailers on author websites, especially mystery and crime fiction writers in the last year than ever before. I'm not really sure how effective they are in getting potential readers to actually pick up a book but I find it interesting how in, say, 120 seconds a book can be condensed into a trailer... And some of the ones I've seen are quite impressive. Someone is sinking mucho $$$ into these things.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

Shouldn't there be a thread specifically devoted to pointless speculation? Such as... would sparhawk or belgarion win in a fight? Could Dahak beat the Death Star? Is Locke Lamora a better theif than Jimmy the Hand? Etc.
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

Just asking.... and I am Not spelling challenged. I am sure those words are spelled that way somewhere!
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

foureyed wrote:
Is Locke Lamora a better thief than Jimmy the Hand?

Hey, foureyed – that is a great question! If I had to bet, I'd go with Jimmy the Hand....at least we know what happended to him... I'm still waiting to see where Locke ends up...

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I vote for Jimmy The Hand too.  He is such a likeable thief.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

Yep, stumbled across"The looking glass wars" because of them.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I'm guessing book trailers are pretty much found on author's websites and places like Youtube.com. I did accidentally stumble across one while doing agent research yesterday (it helps that I know such an animal exists now too). I was pretty impressed. Granted this was only one sample and with a book trailer you could probably utilize many mediums unlike a movie trailer. Still the overall concept seemed parallel to a movie trailer. Does anyone know of a web locale where you could access a lot of book trailers? Or maybe I'm getting too far ahead of the phenomenon.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:
I'm guessing book trailers are pretty much found on author's websites and places like Youtube.com. I did accidentally stumble across one while doing agent research yesterday (it helps that I know such an animal exists now too). I was pretty impressed. Granted this was only one sample and with a book trailer you could probably utilize many mediums unlike a movie trailer. Still the overall concept seemed parallel to a movie trailer. Does anyone know of a web locale where you could access a lot of book trailers? Or maybe I'm getting too far ahead of the phenomenon.

They popup all over the web. My news browser throws them my way, they're on TV where I live, and one place I shop has a commercial teleprompter and there's one rolling around that every week. You can tryYouTube, or just google the words "book trailer"; even the older ones pop up.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Thanks Tigger--I'll do some browsing on the web and see what pops up.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Has anyone else seen the new Star Trek trailers? Looks pretty good.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Has anyone else seen the new Star Trek trailers? Looks pretty good.

New Star Trek trailers? What? Have I been living under a rock? Must go find information...

Paul