Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

What Were Your Favorite 2010 Fantasy and Science Fiction Releases?

This was a pretty good year for fantasy – and, surprisingly, a good one as well for SF. I'm compiling my "Year's Best" list right now – what were your favorite fantasy and SF reads of 2010?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt

Re: What Were Your Favorite 2010 Fantasy and Science Fiction Releases?

I'm sure there were a lot but the ones that come to mind is 

Ken Scholes series ending with the sneak peek of

Antiphon 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

I've got a tie for best epic fantasy. Undeniably, the best was The Passage, but I absolutely ADORED The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1).

Other fantasies (and one or two Sci-Fi books) that I truly believe to be outstanding were AntiphonThe Way of Kings, The Black Prism (Lightbringer Series #1)The Fall (Strain Trilogy #2), The Bone Palace  Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt Series #1)Pleasure Model (Heavy Metal Pulp), and Shadow Prowler. I also really enjoyed Angelology. I'm probably forgetting a few. Maybe I'll post an addendum later.:smileyhappy:        

dalnewt
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

I've got a tie for best epic fantasy. Undeniably, the best was The Passage, but I absolutely ADORED The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1).

Other fantasies (and one or two Sci-Fi books) that I truly believe to be outstanding were AntiphonThe Way of Kings, The Black Prism (Lightbringer Series #1)The Fall (Strain Trilogy #2), The Bone Palace  Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt Series #1)Pleasure Model (Heavy Metal Pulp), and Shadow Prowler. I also really enjoyed Angelology. I'm probably forgetting a few. Maybe I'll post an addendum later.:smileyhappy:        

First addendum:                 

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1) was a terrific fantasy too. I loved it. So please add it to my list above.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Oops, I forgot another one.

dalnewt wrote:

I've got a tie for best epic fantasy. Undeniably, the best was The Passage, but I absolutely ADORED The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1).

Other fantasies (and one or two Sci-Fi books) that I truly believe to be outstanding wereAntiphonThe Way of KingsThe Black Prism (Lightbringer Series #1)The Fall (Strain Trilogy #2)The Bone Palace  Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt Series #1)Pleasure Model (Heavy Metal Pulp), and Shadow Prowler. I also really enjoyedAngelology. I'm probably forgetting a few. Maybe I'll post an addendum later.:smileyhappy:        

First addendum:                 

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1) was a terrific fantasy too. I loved it. So please add it to my list above.

Second Addendum:

I loved, loved, loved

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Series #1). Once again, please add it to the list above.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I'm going YA all the way for my 2010 favorites; Tamora Pierce's Bloodhound is my favorite, closely followed by Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.Honorable Mentions to Mercedes Lackey and Diana Wynne Jones for their latest YA books as well.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik

My favorite book this year was the Passage. I also enjoyed catching up on non 2010 fantasy/science fiction such as th fever series andthe song of ice and fire. I know not publ. In 2010 but they were all new to me.
Frequent Contributor
KC_May

I think The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #1)  and A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3)  were my two favorites, though I did enjoy Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose Series #1),  too.

I'm going to have to learn to read faster to keep up with my growing TBR list!

KC

The Kinshield Legacy - ON SALE $0.99

The Venom of Vipers  - $2.99 -
  one of the Journal of Always Top 15 Books of 2010

Distinguished Correspondent
Whisperlynn

I've gotta give a shout out to young adult Sci-Fi!  Absolutely great this year were:

Replacement Cover

The Replacement by Brenna Yavonaff - 

A changeling novel where kids are replaced with...things.  Creepy and enthralling!

Timeriders Cover

Timeriders by Alex Scarrow-

Jumping through time to try and save the world, this band of interesting characters is so much fun to read about, and the creative presentation keeps you eager to turn the page and guessing at every turn. 

Clockwork Cover

Clockwork Angel by Carrandra Clare -

The first in a prequel trilogy to The Mortal Instruments, this steampunk novel has it all!  Beautiful prose, rich historical setting, supernatural infusion everywhere you turn, and unique characters I love to read about.  I highly recommend all of Clare's works!

New User
Dante_Calypso
0 Kudos

The Black Prism (Lightbringer Series #1) 

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

100% without a doubt this one:
Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1)  

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Frequent Contributor
infael

I can't remember what was released last year....Rothfuss's 2nd Kingkiller book, Sanderson's Way of the Kings.

Lemme nominate A Dance of Dragons as one of 2011's best releases. Not even a date for the next book. Sigh.

Michael