Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

[ Edited ]

Crashed wrote:

Currently reading A Feast of Crows (Book 4 of George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Fire and Ice' series)

Been really lazy lately and need to finish this one as the HBO series is completely messing up my brain and my memory of the series. Hopefully I can find at least a site to see the inconsistencies I missed. Eitherway, love the series.  Hoping to read "In The Name of the Wind" soon.

Welcome Crashed. Come back to this board and post your impression of Feast. I still have it in my TBR file and am interested to find out how it reads.

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1)  is a wonderful read. You will so loooove it!

P.S. Ryan--The important thing is that you did get around to reading The Passage and discovered what a great read it really is! Now you can wait along with rest of us for the sequel.:smileyhappy:  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Debbie,

I don't know why it took so long.  I think I just got distracted by other books.  I loved it though.  I'm getting ready to write a review of it.  I just started following your blog by the way.

dhaupt wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I finally read The Passage by Justin Cronin and I have no freakin clue what took me so long.  It wasn't what I was expecting at all, I loved it.  I loved the journey the characters took and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

I also read With A Tangled Skein by Piers Anthony and am reading a Buffy book right now.

The Passage 

Ryan, what did take you so freaking long, I thought you'd have this read before me. I'm very excited for the next in the trilogy too.

I look forward to seeing your review of it.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Just started up on Corvus by Paul Kearney, the 2nd book in the Macht series. It has very "300" feel to it. Steve Eriksson has recommended the author, and I liked "The Ten Thousand". More mercenary mayhem for me...wheeee!!!

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

I was at the library today and got a book that is the adult debut book by Helen Lowe. She lives in New Zeland and the book is

The Heir of Night  Has anyone read this book?

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Well last night was the book club meeting for

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)  

and the wonderful Ken called in talked to us all and was so gracious and friendly and down to earth. He wowed all the members especially the ones who were not science fiction fans (yes I like to rattle cages and pick things that these folks would normally not read) by his attitude and his talking to us that two of them who were not going to read Canticle now are.

Paul, Ken talked very highly of you and of all who participated in the Antiphon read and I thought I should share that with you all.

It was fun and he's great and I can't wait for Requiem.

He also told us that after he puts this series to bed he'd like to try his hand a genre ficton so who knows I may be hosting him at General Fiction some time in the future.

I even decided to review it again

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-of-lamentation-by-ken-scholes.html

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos
Bradinator1

Working on Paul Kearney's "Hawkwood and the Kings" . So far it's quite good. Kearney probably fits into the Malazan, Black Company type genre with a kind of mercenary, military fanatasy style. If you like those series, you'll probably like Kearney's work.

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Taking a break from Urban Fantasy and rereading Kristine Smith's Jani Killan books.

Code of Conduct (Jani Kilian Series #1) 

Rules of Conflict (Jani Kilian Series #2) 

Law of Survival (Jani Kilian Series #3) 

Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Series #4) 

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Contributor
SandyHarper
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading? Soul and Reincarnation:

[ Edited ]

Soul and Reincarnation  

I just started "Sould and Reincarnation: What happens to soul at the time of death"

I am fascinated by its approach. The first book that looks into this controversial issue using science and spirit.  I can hardly wait to read the entire book.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading? Soul and Reincarnation:

The Iron Knight

Currently Reading

The Mephisto Covenant

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Blog

www.darkangel88.com

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've posted about this completely entertaining book in the July Feature #1 thread and on the Paranormal and Urban Fantasy board, but figured that this highly read thread is also a good place to mention it. Note, it's written in the first person from the viewpoint of the detective protagonist and kind of straddles the line between fantasy and urban fantasy, but it has a definite sci-fi/horror edge with other dimensional monsters and electric powered/spell directed magic that pulls forces from other dimensions. See below my reader review of

No Hero 

Cover Image   

Ingenious and Satisfying

This book features an engaging/sympathetic protagonist, a quirky supporting cast, frantic and plentiful action, morphing and wonderfully detestable monsters, innovative magic and a truly ingenious plot. The pace alternates between fast and faster, and the plot twists are surprising and unbelievably clever. The book culminates in a spectacular and evolving confrontation. Everything about this book entertains including the humorously dry voice of the protagonist and the truly diabolical plot. It's a great read which I highly recommend.

2 of 2 people found this review helpful

Bradinator1

Quite likely to be my only Urban Paranormal entry this year , "For Heaven's Eyes Only" by Simon Green, the next entry in the Secret Histories series. Totally enjoying it so far. I love Simon Green. There is wit, humor, action, and weirdness here. Wheee!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

New User
The-Captivating-Donut
0 Kudos

Im reading The Princess and The Penis, I just started it but it sounds quite funny we will see.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry Series #1)

Currently Reading

Bloodlines (Bloodlines Series #1)

Happy Reading :smileywink:

Hey kimba88

I sent you a message. :smileyhappy:

My Blog

www.darkangel88.com

Contributor
shiloh_911

I'm currently reading The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man.  It's a really interesting adventure/mystery set in alternate-reality Victorian England.  It's the second in a series.  I really enjoyed the first book, The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack.

The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man 

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack   

--Leanne

--Leanne
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I really enjoyed 

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for posting about the follow-up 

The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man. :smileyhappy: 

Although the PW review is on-the-fence, the Library Journal review of Clockwork is very positive:

Library Journal

Sir Richard Burton, the king's agent, and Algernon Swinburne, his companion and intellectual foil, realize that the course of their world has been altered because something has tampered with time. The discovery of a clockwork automaton in Trafalgar Square, the search for the missing Garnier collection of black diamonds, the media surrounding the grotesque person who claims to be the heir to the cursed Tichborne Estate, and the threat of class warfare in Victorian England confront the pair as they fight to right the history of the world and avert a shattering war. In this sequel to The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack, Hodder continues the entertaining adventures of Burton and Swinburne as he depicts a bizarrely engrossing steampunk England in 1862 and introduces period notables, including Herbert Spencer, Florence Nightingale, and Charles Babbage. VERDICT Hodder knows Victorian history well enough to take delightful liberties in a darkly humorous adventure that should appeal to genre fans as well as those interested in alternate histories.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

shiloh_911 wrote:

I'm currently reading The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man.  It's a really interesting adventure/mystery set in alternate-reality Victorian England.  It's the second in a series.  I really enjoyed the first book, The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack.

The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man 

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack   

--Leanne

Thanks for sharing, I added these to my wishlist :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Recently finished Ghost Story by Butcher and waiting for the library to deliver any one of the many books I've reserved. Finances have forced me to use the library, since '00.

By the time I was a high school senior, I had like 1500 fantasy books. My mother made me get rid of them all before leaving for college. I couldn't find a way to keep em all. I had some gems in there that will probably never be reprinted. :smileysad:

Michael