Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
chironcentaur
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris (ebook), Ghost Story by Jim Butcher (actual book) and the Vampire Agent by Patricia Rosemoor (actual book)

yes i am reading 3 at once

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: What are you currently reading?

 

Any way, here are my thoughts about the book and the author, Kirsten Imani Kasai, if you're interested...

 

 

Paul

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Eat-Me-Drink-Me-Love-Me-Kirsten-Im...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


paulgoatallen wrote:

 

Any way, here are my thoughts about the book and the author, Kirsten Imani Kasai, if you're interested...

 

 

Paul

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Eat-Me-Drink-Me-Love-Me-Kirsten-Im...


Great article Paul! I am looking forward to reading Tattoo. The first book Ice Song still has me thinking.

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm just wondering if anyone read

 

The Magicians 

The Magician King   

 

and what you thought about them

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


dhaupt wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone read

 

The Magicians 

The Magician King   

 

and what you thought about them


I have, Deb. The Magicians was a little better than The Magician King but both were very good. It's essentially a fairy tale for adults.

 

Below is the PW review – a very well written and insightful analysis...

 

Publishers Weekly

Grossman's stylish sequel to The Magicians smoothly fuses adventure fantasy, magic realism, and mythic fiction. It's been two years since Quentin, Eliot, Janet, and Julia have become kings and queens of the magical utopia of Fillory, but Quentin is becoming bored with his seemingly idyllic existence. Spurred on by a dark prophecy of the "Seeing Hare," "one of the Unique Beasts of Fillory," he and Julia decide to embark on a trip to a faraway island, but their voyage turns out to be more perilous than expected and they end up back on Earth. With no apparent means to return to their home at Castle Whitespire, they must somehow find a way back to Fillory and save their realm from imminent destruction. Grossman effortlessly injects innumerable pop culture and literary references (Monty Python, Harry Potter, Pink Floyd, the Lorax, the Teletubbies, etc.) into the fantastical storyline. Mainstream fiction and fantasy fans alike will find this fairy tale for adults rewarding. 10-city author tour. (Sept.) 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


paulgoatallen wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone read

 

The Magicians 

The Magician King   

 

and what you thought about them


I have, Deb. The Magicians was a little better than The Magician King but both were very good. It's essentially a fairy tale for adults.

 

Below is the PW review – a very well written and insightful analysis...

 

Publishers Weekly

Grossman's stylish sequel to The Magicians smoothly fuses adventure fantasy, magic realism, and mythic fiction. It's been two years since Quentin, Eliot, Janet, and Julia have become kings and queens of the magical utopia of Fillory, but Quentin is becoming bored with his seemingly idyllic existence. Spurred on by a dark prophecy of the "Seeing Hare," "one of the Unique Beasts of Fillory," he and Julia decide to embark on a trip to a faraway island, but their voyage turns out to be more perilous than expected and they end up back on Earth. With no apparent means to return to their home at Castle Whitespire, they must somehow find a way back to Fillory and save their realm from imminent destruction. Grossman effortlessly injects innumerable pop culture and literary references (Monty Python, Harry Potter, Pink Floyd, the Lorax, the Teletubbies, etc.) into the fantastical storyline. Mainstream fiction and fantasy fans alike will find this fairy tale for adults rewarding. 10-city author tour. (Sept.) 


Thanks Paul, I read them both too and for some reason just didn't "get" them. But I do agree that book one was better.

Guess it's just me.

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Paul, I read them both too and for some reason just didn't "get" them. But I do agree that book one was better.

Guess it's just me.


I agree, Deb. I went into it expecting some truly amazing but got something far less – while both novels certainly were entertaining, I suppose I was expecting something with more thematic depth...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
Posts: 895
Registered: ‎01-25-2011

Re: What are you currently reading?

Paul --

 

I agree with you completely about Bova being underappreciated.  Good solid hard SF but he tells interesting stories and fills them with people, with characters.  He just keeps churning out good solid work constantly so I suspect people take him for granted.  I sadly think Bova will be one whose enormous impact and contribution will only truly be realized when it ceases.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

With the release of The Magician King, I became interested in this series. So I picked up a hardcover copy of The Magicians at very reduced price at my local B&N.

 

If anyone is interested you can find a hardcover copy of

The Magicians  on the B&N website for clearance price of $2.99! 

 

I plan to eventually read the book, and determine if I want to follow-up with the Magician King

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I read the first book and I just couldn't get into it at all.  For me, it was the characters, I didn't like one of them.  the storyline itself was intersting if a little rehashed, in my opinion.  I have no desire to read the second book.

 


dhaupt wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone read

 

The Magicians 

The Magician King   

 

and what you thought about them




"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

 I just started this one the other night.  And so far so good.  It has an interesting take with some new creatures.  And those tenticles on his back.  Yeah, I was a little worried about them, but I like how they came about. :smileyhappy:

 

Legends Reborn

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


Ryan_G wrote:

I read the first book and I just couldn't get into it at all.  For me, it was the characters, I didn't like one of them.  the storyline itself was intersting if a little rehashed, in my opinion.  I have no desire to read the second book.

 


dhaupt wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone read

 

The Magicians 

The Magician King   

 

and what you thought about them





Thanks Ryan, will all the great talk this one is getting I thought I was missing something. I'm glad I'm not alone, plus like Paul said I think the first book was better.

Contributor
shiloh_911
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

[ Edited ]

I finally got A Game of Thrones from the library and am reading it for the first time.  Thoroughly enjoying it so far!

--Leanne
New User
BigNimrod
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm currently reading Opoponax Dreams. It's an adventure fantasy novel, with some stirring emotional scenes. It has elements of adventure, romance and horror, but it's a clean fantasy, with no dragons, wizards, sorcerers or any of those hackneyed cliches. Instead it focuses on a real prophesy and weaves the fantasy elements from there using clean religious symbolism. Quite a refreshing read.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
Posts: 883
Registered: ‎08-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

I've actually already finished this one, but I loved it.  I've been in a horror mood lately so when I was offered Bedbugs Ben H. Winters, I couldn't pass it up.  The atmosphere reminded me of Rosemary's Baby and The Sentinel.  Young couple moves into a too good to be true apartment, and chaos ensues.  If anyone is in the mood for something alittle different, and you don't mind having your skin itch the entire time you are readin it, I would love to see what you think of it.

 

Bedbugs  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
Kadiestr
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎07-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

Ryan!  There is a bedbug epidemic out here in Ohio and surrounding states... that hits close to home!!!  Don't know if I could read it right now!  LOL

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you currently reading?

Yuck! I don't even want to think about the real ones.  I think I'll stick to the deomonic type.

 


Kadiestr wrote:

Ryan!  There is a bedbug epidemic out here in Ohio and surrounding states... that hits close to home!!!  Don't know if I could read it right now!  LOL




"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
Kadiestr
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎07-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?

I am excited to be reading :

 

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies Series #2)  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I read the first book I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Series #1)  some time before the movie even came out and loved it.  Movie DOES NOT do it any justice.  It's is a bit YA but very entaining and gripping.  Can't wait to see what The Power of SIx contains!!

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you currently reading?


Ryan_G wrote:

I've actually already finished this one, but I loved it.  I've been in a horror mood lately so when I was offered Bedbugs Ben H. Winters, I couldn't pass it up.  The atmosphere reminded me of Rosemary's Baby and The Sentinel.  Young couple moves into a too good to be true apartment, and chaos ensues.  If anyone is in the mood for something alittle different, and you don't mind having your skin itch the entire time you are readin it, I would love to see what you think of it.

 

Bedbugs  


Just got this one – can't wait to read it!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky